Jense finally wakes up

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Belatti

Re: Jense finally wakes up

freedom_honda wrote: i feel sorry for Jense to be honest
Honda ruined his career
No, he ruined his own career.
Everyone is responsible for his own acts and destiny.
A smarter No1 driver would make a contract that would release them when car is not what he wants, like Senna did in 1993.
A real No1 driver that stays in a team for 3 years motivates the team and gives such a feedback to engineers that he can make them build fast a car arround him.

Jenson is good, but not enough.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

kimi

Button is a good driver,but good simply isn't enough in f1 to be a champion.Like Senna or Schumi,he can't help a team build a car according to his driving style.Alonso in his 4 years in Renault could give a lots of feedbacks to the engineers and was able build a car to suit him.

He might perform on the race day in a good car,but to develop that car to suit you needs a lot of commitment and dedication.And I guess Button lacks these

Spencifer_Murphy

Its true that Button is overrated, BUT i think is very unfair on him to suggest he's only capable of being a number two driver. The man scored more points than Alonso or Schumi in the last six races of 2006 in a Honda (which although not a dog, was nowhere near as good as the R26 or F248) His driving is very smooth and gentle on the tyres (proven by races such as Hungary 2006) and yes he may have been assisted to his first win by Alonso's retirement and Schumi's penalties but in order to finish first you have to finish. So he deserved the win.

He's a very capable driver, and has been labeled as an overrated secondrate nobody purely because at no point in his entire career has he been given a top drive. Williams in '00 and Renault in '01 & '02 were both teams that were on the verge of making it, Fernando wouldn't have done a much Better job in that '02 Renault, and yes Fisi beat him in the '01 Renault, but being fair that was a total s**tbox for which jense had more or less no experience to draw on to make the most of it.

Granted his contractual behaviour has been disgusting (I lost a lot of respect for him after the Williams/BAR deals). He'll probably never be a champion (unless he gets a car as dominating as the '97 Williams [should have been] or '02 Ferrari was). But give Jense a good car and he'll shine.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

axle

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:But give Jense a good car and he'll shine.
I agree :)

He might not quite be a Kimi or an Alonso, but then those guys haven't been far from the front thoughout their careers....can you imagine the strop they'd be in if suddenly they had a poo car!?

2007 was supposed to be Honda's breakthrough year...that was the real kicker.

There's no doubt Jenson can win, he can lead a race and deal with the pressure of battle...the only ? I have is whether he is ruthless enough in the heat of battle when doing the chasing...whether he could've made that do or die on Kimi at Monza....Or a wheel to wheel battle with Massa round the first few corners.
- Axle

kimi

Agreed.He is a capable driver with a very smooth driving style,but I doubt he has that aggression like kimi or alonso.I doubt his driving when it comes to making moves like kimi or alonso do.And i guess to become successful in f1 u need to have that aggression,ruthlessness and the hunger to win.Or else mid field is the best u can achieve. :D

axle

kimi wrote:Agreed.He is a capable driver with a very smooth driving style,but I doubt he has that aggression like kimi or alonso.I doubt his driving when it comes to making moves like kimi or alonso do.And i guess to become successful in f1 u need to have that aggression,ruthlessness and the hunger to win.Or else mid field is the best u can achieve. :D
Having made these points I'd also say that Jenson's not been put in the position to demonstrate his full potential either way, so, lets give him a chance and I hope he's nearer the sharp end next year :)
- Axle

kimi

Well who denies that.Every driver needs a chance to prove themselves.And Button has got his chance to dance.With RB in honda i think Button will get a good car to shine.But if he fails this time there is no coming back for him.

Spencifer_Murphy

Well, it will take a year at least for RB's talents to make any real headway. Sure there will be developments in all areas as the season goes on. But the 2008 car is designed by the same guys that put together the rather regrettable 2007...er...wagon.

The 2009 car will be designed not only by Brawns prefered guys, but also usuing his team's structure etc. That's when we'll see REAL improvement. (Assuming he gets free reign)

Also any idea's on who'll be their pitwall strategist. It should be RB himself IMO. Personally I've found race strategy to be a real major weakness in Honda's outfit.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.