Castroneves lightning fast

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steven
Owner

Castroneves lightning fast

Helio Castroneves the two time Indy 500 Winner and second at IRL Championship Points had a Toyota F1 test early today.
The test was with Toyota Team at Paul Ricard Track - France, it is a 5,800 m road course and had the Toyota drivers Alan Mcnish and Stefan Sarazin testing before and after Castroneves.

In the morning Helio couldn't run much, because of the track was wet and they had to do some seat and car adjustments; after a 15 minutes brake, Castroneves got in the car and made a long run; 28 laps simulating a one race stint, three (3) laps to go, with old tires and half tank Castroneves turned 1.35.74s. :!:

The track record is 1.34.90s and the best time that Stefan Sarazin (Toyota Test Driver) was 1.36.80s and Alan Mcnish (2002 Toyota Driver) was 1.37.34s.
The next and the last outing of the day, Castroneves was supposed to simulate a qualifying, unfortunately the car had a electronic problem, ending Castroneves test earliest than it was expected.

Castroneves run just 50 laps regarding the 70 laps that was schedule before.
As soon as, Helio Castroneves had parked the car, the Toyota Team literally applauded Helio for his performance.

"It was a difficult day, it was a short time to adapted, having to learn the track and the car. To be truth, I was expecting to be hardest than it really was, I've heard some comments from different drivers and I did not feel that bad, I have no difficulty at all. I've enjoyed every second of this moment and the good news is that I'm still able to turn right and left." said Castroneves after the test.
Helio Castroneves will race for Team Penske next year at IRL Championship.

Times:

Helio Castroneves - 1.35.74s :shock:
Stefan Sarazin - 1.36.80s
Alan Mcnish - 1.37.34s "