Super Aguri : buyout / collapse

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ben_watkins

Re: Super Aguri - buyout?

Now they have postponed the unveiling of the new SA08 car..

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41765

I'd be surprised if they actually take to the track in Australia at this rate!
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Carbon

After a few excellent results, it would be a real shame if SA didn't make the grid this year.

I always thought Honda would throw SA a lifeline in times of difficulty. I suppose that's not the case. Losing another priviteer would be dreadful.

GTO

Honda is busy trying to keep their own car from being a backmarker, so helping SA is probably not high on their list of concerns right now. They may help them in obtaining engine & perhaps in new '08 chassis parts. Beyond that SA has to be responsible in maintainging their own finacial health by finding sponsors, investors etc. There's only so much Honda can do for them.

I'm not sure why SA are taking such a long time finding sponsors & investors. Here are perhaps some issues:
-AS is driving a hard bargain & wants sizable profit for his investment & labor
-AS has offer from Group A & Group B & is playing each offer against the other until last possible date.
-AS wants to remain as team principal after buyout
-investors are low-balling their offer

Yes, it's not good news for F1 that this team continues to struggle to make grid. Which leads me to question why members from this forum wish for Force India team to go under just because they did not like owner & the VJM designation he chose for their car! :shock: #-o

Hoping SA get strong financial backing for this season.

mx_tifoso

F1Technical.net- Super Aguri will be on Australian grid

Fumio Akita, co-owner of Super Aguri mentioned that even if 100% of the team is bought out, it doesn't necessarily mean that the current owner(s) and team name will be lost.

Personally, I'm very pleased to hear this news, as I've grown fond of this struggling underdog. And I certainly hope they survive, along with the ability to keep their "essence" and team name as well.

Because for some reason, the irony of seeing SA outperform Honda once again brings a big smile to my face.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Spencifer_Murphy

I hope they can secure some finacial backing. I've really grown fond of the team. Taku has blossomed there (which is nice cause its justified all the praise I heaped on him over all these years!) Which, frankly was embarrassing when he bins his car off the road! (My friends "So, er...what were u saying about this guy then Spence?!") lol.

But seriously, when Minardi got bought out by STR they lose their "lovable back-marker" image. Super Aguri has taken up that mantle IMO, and its something that F1 needs, a friendly face in the corportate business world that is modern F1.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

checkered

mx_tifosi wrote:F1Technical.net- Super Aguri will be on Australian grid

Fumio Akita, co-owner of Super Aguri mentioned that even if 100% of the team is bought out, it doesn't necessarily mean that the current owner(s) and team name will be lost.

Personally, I'm very pleased to hear this news, as I've grown fond of this struggling underdog. And I certainly hope they survive, along with the ability to keep their "essence" and team name as well.

Because for some reason, the irony of seeing SA outperform Honda once again brings a big smile to my face.
It'll be interesting to

see who the buyer(s) might be; there are more than a few takers, that's for sure. Only Honda will have the final say in things (they're also sure to demand that Sato and Davidson continue) which will limit options for the time being - Fairuz Fauzy won't have a "Malaysia Petronas Proton F1" to drive for, nor will a direct competitor like Hyundai get its hands on F1 property just yet. In general, I can't quite understand why sponsors don't see the attractiveness in Super Aguri. (Yeah, I know there are rational arguments, but in this day and age one could expect some lateral thinking?) It's also quite possible that Bernie will be pushing his favorites behind the scenes. (No pesky troublemakers, thank you - guess which candidates have the capability of rocking the boat ...) We'll be wiser around Thursday or so.

Conceptual

mx_tifosi wrote:F1Technical.net- Super Aguri will be on Australian grid

Taku passing Alonso on merit was my highlight of 2007!

I hope SA finds the means to continue to show Honda up.

PS: Honda would be better off selling THEIR team, and backing into SA's corner to compete with a budget outfit that obviously owns the Works production. I said that several times through the 2007 season, but no one liked it... lol

If SA barely makes it to the track, and still continuously stomps Honda this year, the shame will be rediculous on the manufacturer from Japan.

Chris

bar555

Magma Group is the new owner of the Team . Sato and Davidson will retain their position as drivers and Honda will continue to supply engines and technical help :!: :!: .

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/8404
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

Expo

This official statement from Magma is woefully uninspiring.

Magma Group is a unique enterprise, created to address issues and capitalise on opportunities in the automotive and technology sectors caused by changing global situations and market conditions.

I know a business wouldn't buy another business unless there was some money to be made but the least they could do is sex it up a bit and tell us they're passionate about racing! I'd rather be lied to if it was inspiring!

checkered

The negotiations took

longer than I thought - I fully expected there'd be a statement before SA had to ship its equipment to Australia. Apparently the negotiations haven't been at all easy and the details will drag on for some time. I guess this was the only option Honda could possibly approve of (see earlier message). Magma's low key position could be down to many things - Honda's insistence, the desire to manage any transition in the team's image with better time, or a future strategic arrangement if a brand other than those directly owned by Magma is better projected to front the effort in the future.

Martin R. Leach, the chairman of Magma Group has solid racing credentials and is a definite authority on motor industry. He's got some very interesting connections and could be uniquely positioned to finally get F1 established in Russia as well. He apparently knows Fry fairly well. It must also be noted that through some corporate arrangements (TWR - become Menard - become UltraMotive) Magma has already come to own Super Aguri's Leafield HQ, formerly of Arrows fame. Other than that I can recommend a couple of links if you wish to know more:

Magma Group (read Martin R. Leach's bio especially)
UltraMotive
Magma and Super Aguri by Grandprix.com (an excellent article anticipating the move)

GTO

First, the Good News. :D
The obvious Good News is the future financial stability of Super Aguri. Well, we can only assume this.

The Bad News.
There's no reference to anything in their statement. How much money will Magma infuse into Super Aguri this season? How long is this partnership? How long will it take to see results on track? #-o :?:
That was probably the most boring team buyout news article I've ever seen.
No new team boss
No new drivers
No new technical team
No new car
No new livery
No new car naming/numbering...ie. MAG01 to get F1 Technical members into angry mob.
No smoke, lights, dancers...
BO....RING.

Now I realize they may not change the above items right away, if at all any. At least come prepared with proper statments in press release or better yet in small team launch for new season. NOTHING! #-o These guys really don't know how to make a splash in F1. :shock:

modbaraban

GTO wrote:No new team boss
No new drivers
No new technical team
No new car
No new livery
No new car naming/numbering...ie. MAG01 to get F1 Technical members into angry mob.
No smoke, lights, dancers...
BO....RING.

Now I realize they may not change the above items right away, if at all any. At least come prepared with proper statments in press release or better yet in small team launch for new season. NOTHING! #-o These guys really don't know how to make a splash in F1. :shock:
I reckon it's
drivers Tacu and Ant (confirmed)
same technical team
no idea about the livery
the car is most likely to be SA08 (RA107B)

I mean, it's the same team with changed ownership, no more than that.

HKS

waynes wrote:

you must be joking, he was crap
Crap?If is 9th fastest in his first qualifying in the rain that too in a Jordan, he's crap? :oops:

Spice Energy had plans to represent India as a whole. So Narain was definitely the first choice.

But bad luck Spice couldn't get a hand on Super Aguri.
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

MRE
MRE

I love to see more car manufacturer rather than individual or non related-automotive company to have a formula one team. It is not easy to build a formula one team. In fact, staying in is even harder. The only excellence example is McLaren and Williams. They survive and running the team very well. They gain a confidence from car manufacturer to run their engine in their car. The essence is, they have a very stable technical,manufacturing and management team. The sponsor will come if your team perform well. Car manufacturer have a very clear goal and vision when they join formula one. They have a budget and expertise. My wish is to see Audi, Saab, Volkswagen, Hyundai or Lamborghini on the formula one grid someday.
formula one

dumrick

MRE wrote:I love to see more car manufacturer rather than individual or non related-automotive company to have a formula one team.
It seems you haven't read the infos on the Magma Group. They are the providers, others are just branders... it hardly gets more "automotive company" than them, or else you have no idea about what the industry is nowadays...