F1 Quiz Chain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dumrick

Re: F1 Quiz Chain

:D Sorry, I missed this, never thought it would be right...

Ok, here it goes: I'm the only F1 driver to have been on an F1 grid behind a Bellasi. Who am I and by which nickname am I known in my country??? :wink:

Ciro Pabón

I'm Rolf Stommelen, but I don't know my own nickname... ;)
Ciro

dumrick

Rolf Stommelen? Are my sources wrong? I'll double check it, but this wasn't the answer I was expecting. On which GP would that be, Ciro?

Edit: OK, I understand the confusion now. When I wrote "behind", I meant in the next row, same side.

Ted68

Tim Schenken, and I still don't know my nickname.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

Ciro Pabón

Sources? Sorry, another long post.

Well, first I checked the story of Bellasi at Wikipedia. According to Wikipedia, Bellasi only qualified twice in its history: for Austria 1970 and Italia 1971. I thought "well, an easy one...".

Then I looked the Grand Prix encyclopedia: at Austria 1970 Silvio Moser, their driver, qualified last (24th position). At Italy 1971 they qualified 22nd of 24 cars. The 23rd guy at the grid in Italy 1971 was Stommelen.

Bellasi history at Wikipedia (only two races run)
Austria 1970 at Wikipedia and Austria 1970 at Grand Prix encyclopedia (24th position of 24 cars)
Italy Grand Prix 1970 at Wikipedia and Italy Grand Prix 1970 at Grand Prix Encyclopedia (22nd position of 24 cars, Stommelen in 23th position)

After reading your answer I realized that Jean Pierre Jarier classified in 24th position in Italy 1971 (GP claims it was Jean Pierre Beltoise, but I think they're wrong, because both sources mention the Matra team).

So, maybe is Jarier. His nickname was "Godasse de plomb" ("leaden shoe", I think). He shares with Stommelen the dubious honour of classifying behind a Bellasi. I won't go into who qualified next to a Bellasi, it's too much work! :)
Ciro

Carlos

Forix agrees with Ciro, it was Jean Pierre Jarier who qualified in 24th place. Have you ever noticed Ciro is always in good company? Here is some Bellasi news - Hmmm - make that history :D
http://www.forix.com/8w/bellasi.html

dumrick

My source was 8W, and the answer would be Jarier and "Godasse de Plomb" (Leaden Shoe, that's it).
It really wasn't that difficult of a challenge, I double checked the Wikipedia entries also, so I put the question about the nickname, which I thought would possibly be harder, since I know it since a kid, but because my F1 culture coming mainly from french sources (Michel Vaillant books and Sport Auto included :lol: ).
So, up to you, Ciro!

dumrick

Ciro????? :P

Ciro Pabón

Oops. Too many things to do these days... :oops: I did not check back to see if I was right.

Allright, simple: when was the only time in Formula One history that all drivers finished the race?

Bonus points if you tell us how many pitstops there were during that race.
Ciro

WhiteBlue

I don't know if it was the only race but USGP 2005 only four cars started and they all finsihed.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ciro Pabón

Well, not exactly. You're right if you interchange "drivers" for "starters" in my question. Not all drivers finished the infamous US GP.

Really, there was a GP where everybody finished, once upon a time. It was a regular race, no tricks here.

Actually, what I find amusing about that question is that almost nobody realizes that at every GP some people retires (except at the one I ask for, of course).
Ciro

yzfr7

Monza 2005. have no idea of how many pitstops.
pax

WhiteBlue

Ciro Pabón wrote:Well, not exactly. You're right if you interchange "drivers" for "starters" in my question. Not all drivers finished the infamous US GP.

Really, there was a GP where everybody finished, once upon a time. It was a regular race, no tricks here.

Actually, what I find amusing about that question is that almost nobody realizes that at every GP some people retires (except at the one I ask for, of course).
you are making evasive manoevers here :wink:
drivers are starters or do you mean that reserve drivers and 3rd drivers count?
admitt that you have screwed it :lol:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ciro Pabón

yzfr7 wrote:Monza 2005. have no idea of how many pitstops.
I'll be damned. You're right. I did not know that. Your turn.

No, WhiteBlue, no evasive manouvers here. I actually screwed it, no problem accepting that, not because of your answer, but because I did not know that at Monza 2005 the feat was repeated, as yzfr7 correctly stated.

I was thinking of the Dutch GP, 1961, with zero pitstops. This wasn't repeated for 44 years, as yzfr7 made me discover.

Actually, at the US GP probably you have the largest number of drivers not finishing the GP. Talking about screwing, there was not four drivers finishing, as you claim, but six. ;)
Ciro

yzfr7

I still remember watching monza 2005 with the tv commentator repeating all the time "no one is retiring, no one is retiring...". Anyway, I didn't know about the Dutch GP, so I'm not sure if it is a valid answer, as neither are the ONLY one when this feat happened.

"I was the last one to win the F1 GP in Interlagos running clock-wise. Who am I, what was my car?"
pax