F1 Quiz Chain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: F1 Quiz Chain

Ciro Pabón wrote:
yzfr7 wrote:Monza 2005. have no idea of how many pitstops.
I'll be damned. You're right. I did not know that. Your turn.

No, WhiteBlue, no evasive manouvers here. I actually screwed it, no problem accepting that, not because of your answer, but because I did not know that at Monza 2005 the feat was repeated, as yzfr7 correctly stated.

I was thinking of the Dutch GP, 1961, with zero pitstops. This wasn't repeated for 44 years, as yzfr7 made me discover.

Actually, at the US GP probably you have the largest number of drivers not finishing the GP. Talking about screwing, there was not four drivers finishing, as you claim, but six. ;)
yeah, amazing I forgot the Jordans. I remembered the Minardis. You are right about the official classification. they all did the formation lap and that counts towards starting the race. a weired affair it was.

F1 had three stints in Interlagos according to encyclopaedia.
1973-1977
1979-1980
1990-now

so I reckon it was the last race before it moved off to Rio the second time

Brazilian GP
Interlagos
January 27, 1980
1 16 Rene Arnoux Renault 40 1h40m01.330s 6
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

yzfr7

That's it. They modified it quite a lot to get the race back from Rio, and changed the running direction.
pax

WhiteBlue

who died in a racing accident 5 races after winning his first GP? what was his nick name?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ciro Pabón

Wolfgang Graf Berghe von Trips, Taffy. I think.
Ciro

WhiteBlue

8) yes, Ciro I took the liberty to remember the great driver from Cologne who might have made it the first German WDC for Ferrari. He died due to not seeing Clark who got close by slipstreaming 1961 in Monza. His first win was the Dutch GP which ran without pit stops and retirements.

edited typo to 1961, thx Carlos
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 13 May 2008, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ciro Pabón

Which was the one and only driver that in one year lead every lap of every race he finished?
Ciro

WhiteBlue

Ciro Pabón wrote:Which was the one and only driver that in one year lead every lap of every race he finished?
I checked Mansell 1992 and Ascari 1952 but they did not lead all laps. :lol: so it probably had to be something very unusual with one or two races.

Jim Clarke only contested South Afrika in 68

The race began with Stewart taking the lead from Clark while Hill dropped back to seventh behind Rindt, Surtees, Brabham and Amon. On the second lap Clark took the lead while Brabham overtook Surtees and Hill passed both Amon and Surtees to run fifth.

Clark qualified 1st and finished first.

Ciro Pabón

Well, you mentioned Jim Clark, so you're right.

He did that in 1965, a year he won the championship in the famous Lotus 33. What a great driver. I repeat, you'll get no trick, hard questions from me, I prefer the "intriguing ones", the ones that make you think "Hey, interesting, I did not know that". ;)

Btw, he broke Fangio record of most races won at the race you mention, South Africa, 1968. Your turn, WhiteBlue.
Ciro

WhiteBlue

DUTCH GP, 1965

At the start of the race Ginther took the lead with Hill second and Clark third. It took Hill until the end of lap two to slipstream past the Honda and then Clark followed at the end of the fourth lap and then managed to get Hill in the course of lap five to take the lead.

1 6 Jim Clark Lotus-Climax 33 80 2h03m59.100s 2

you actually got the year wrong but the feat was accomplished in 68 as I showed. :lol:

WhiteBlue

who was the "slowest" F1 world driver champion. :wink: you must make a point by numbers to win this!

WhiteBlue

this seems to be hard. so I give a hint. look in the statistics for something that means you were fastest. :wink:

Ciro Pabón

Well, I'm too busy. What about Phil Toll Hill Jr.? Although he was the first to lap Nürburgring in less than 9 minutes, he probably won by the smallest margin (when Von Trips died).
Ciro

WhiteBlue

Sorry Ciro, you need to try harder. Do some statistic research! There are not that many WDCs. :wink:

Belatti

Is that Keke Rosberg, winning the 1982 WDC with only one victory?

If you are fastest, you win!
And statistics says Keke only won 5 times.

Farina won 5 times also (but 3 when he won the Championship, so that made him a faster champion :wink: isn´t it?)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

WhiteBlue

well done Belatti!! yes I was thinking about Keke Rosberg

He won a championship and during his carreer recorded only three!!! fastest race laps. Farina managed 5 fastest race laps. that has to be a record of economy by Keke. I don't hold it against him because he must have used the Williams masterly to achieve the title against many competive cars.