2008 Barcelona Testing - April

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tom

Re: Barcelona testing - April 2008

Seems odd they use paint to show the airflow, paint (being a liquid) cannot be compressed, unlike air, so their measuring would not be accurate.

besides they'll have windtunnels and CFD to work it out for them.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

axle

I think an engineer was having a laugh with the tipex trying to make it harder to see the actual shape of it :p
- Axle

flynfrog

Tom wrote:Seems odd they use paint to show the airflow, paint (being a liquid) cannot be compressed, unlike air, so their measuring would not be accurate.

It's a very common method of showing airflow

its basically kerosene with some dye mixed in the kerosene evaporates away leaving the dye behind showing the airflow path

at the speeds f1 cars travel the air dosent really compress anyway

taku

Tom wrote:Seems odd they use paint to show the airflow, paint (being a liquid) cannot be compressed, unlike air, so their measuring would not be accurate.

For the velocity range of an F1 car, air can be considered incompressible.

The paint shows the path of the air over the car and is a technique also used in wind tunnels. Particularly important in F1 where devices are generally designed on the limit of stall.
I guess the reason for doing this at the track is because these wheel shrouds/covers are pretty complicated in terms of flow coming around the tyre etc. Also no matter how good you wind tunnel/CFD is you can't beat track testing.

modbaraban

Maccas are fiddling with their bridge wing :)

ginsu

Good catch on the Macca Bridge wing. I thought they had done almost nothing as far as upgrades during this test. Maybe they feel they only need to do some minor tweaking rather than any radical redesign.

Well, if they really think they can get away with what they've done so far, but I think they should've been topping the testing times. Especially when BMW are getting Pole Positions.
I love to love Senna.

chasefreak

i think macca dont have any scope to make the car faster or they have lost the creative skills... they will see everyone's update and then come up with a radical one

teecof1fan

Interesting to see the different wing while testing for '09; aside from the missing bridge element, it's very swoopy (for lack of a better term) compared to the wing used on the other days. I recall seeing a swoopy wing on the McLaren before, but I'm not sure, maybe it was over winter testing? I'd appreciate any enlightenment regarding that, thanks! :D

swoopy wing: http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... 5&catID=10
Ahhh, the most soothing, relaxing, and beautiful sound in the world. Looks cool too! http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-9Io41bt8

allan

thats just their old front wing from last year's mp4-22... notice they even used the same nosecone.

teecof1fan

Thanks, Allen. :D I've done some (but not complete) research and actually the only time I found that swoopy wing on the McLaren was during winter testing and the 'Debut' car...I looked at pictures from about 10 Grands Prix during '07, varying from the first few rounds to the middle of the year and on through to the end, and I didn't see the 'swoopy' wing in any of the pictures...I'm not denying that they used it, but I'm still curious why they broke out the swoopy wing for the '09 simulation...Just cause it produces less downforce? Still looking for info! :D
Ahhh, the most soothing, relaxing, and beautiful sound in the world. Looks cool too! http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-9Io41bt8

bhall

Why would Renault run different tires like this?

allan

teecof1fan wrote:Thanks, Allen. :D I've done some (but not complete) research and actually the only time I found that swoopy wing on the McLaren was during winter testing and the 'Debut' car...I looked at pictures from about 10 Grands Prix during '07, varying from the first few rounds to the middle of the year and on through to the end, and I didn't see the 'swoopy' wing in any of the pictures...I'm not denying that they used it, but I'm still curious why they broke out the swoopy wing for the '09 simulation...Just cause it produces less downforce? Still looking for info! :D
here u go, Moza 2007:

megz

Same reason as why they couldn't work out how to work a J Damper. The engineers are silly. #-o =D> :roll:

allan

bhallg2k wrote:Why would Renault run different tires like this?
i think this pic was probably taken right after a pit stop practice, where the mechanics used just random tyres.. notice there is a wheel in the lower left corner of the pic.

rkn

bhallg2k wrote:Why would Renault run different tires like this?

Probably just for an installation lap, several teams also mismatch tyres on fridays in race-weekends... I think it's because they are only allowed a certain amount of sets in a year and they save those who are not fully worn out.