Paul Ricard testing - May

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Re: Paul Ricard testing - May

Interesting new side pod vanes on the Red Bull
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

modbaraban
modbaraban

ben_watkins wrote:Interesting new side pod vanes on the Red Bull
Not really new
http://www.f1technical.net/development/149

But this time STR3 sports them as well. I'm not sure if they're identical tho, hard to tell... and the livery doesn't help.

Interesting pic of the vented nosecone. You can see exactly how deep the 'splitter' goes.

What's the point of mounting a (nosecone) camera on the airbox? There's another camera on top of it anyway :?

joseff

Each car has to carry at least "x" camera housings. IIRC 4, but check the latest regs.
I suppose they're experimenting whether placing them there is the best compromise.

johny

Ferrari nosecone hole

Conceptual
Conceptual

Why no endplates on the new Williams engine cover flipups?

Haven't we seen alot of new winglets start out this year without them, and then have them added later?

I am seriously surprised that the teams continue to introduce incomplete aero concepts...

Unless they are just trying to fake out the competition, and will have endplates attached for Monaco...

Chris

vyselegend

Low downforce spec for everyone as the focus is on Montreal preparation.

Williams running with old engine cover and pre-barcelona front wing:

Toyota follow the move of sidepod pannels to barge board junction:

slimjim8201

I noticed this a while back but I keep forgetting to mention it. The Ferrari nose cone with the internal air passage...note how the larger (lower) of the two exits requires a cut in the monococque. That is, the slot extends back to exist in both the nose cone and the front of the monococque. Does Ferrari run a different chassis when using the different nose cone, or has the front moncocque slot been there all year? If the latter is true, it means they have been planning the slotted nose cone from the very beginining of the F2008 design process.

Conceptual
Conceptual

slimjim8201 wrote:I noticed this a while back but I keep forgetting to mention it. The Ferrari nose cone with the internal air passage...note how the larger (lower) of the two exits requires a cut in the monococque. That is, the slot extends back to exist in both the nose cone and the front of the monococque. Does Ferrari run a different chassis when using the different nose cone, or has the front moncocque slot been there all year? If the latter is true, it means they have been planning the slotted nose cone from the very beginining of the F2008 design process.
I believe that I have seen pics of the monocoque slot covered with a blank cover.

I dunno when they started planning this, but is it really that difficult to modify the chassis post-design phase to do this?

Chris

Moanlower

What an antenna. Better telemetry i guess.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

WhiteBlue

Conceptual wrote:
slimjim8201 wrote:I noticed this a while back but I keep forgetting to mention it. The Ferrari nose cone with the internal air passage...note how the larger (lower) of the two exits requires a cut in the monococque. That is, the slot extends back to exist in both the nose cone and the front of the monococque. Does Ferrari run a different chassis when using the different nose cone, or has the front moncocque slot been there all year? If the latter is true, it means they have been planning the slotted nose cone from the very beginining of the F2008 design process.
I believe that I have seen pics of the monocoque slot covered with a blank cover.

I dunno when they started planning this, but is it really that difficult to modify the chassis post-design phase to do this?

Chris
the manufacturing process is irreversible. so once you have finalised the design for manufacture there is no change. the chassis is crash tested and nothing can be changed with new testing.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Conceptual
Conceptual

WhiteBlue wrote:
Conceptual wrote:

Chris
the manufacturing process is irreversible. so once you have finalised the design for manufacture there is no change. the chassis is crash tested and nothing can be changed with new testing.
So, the slot was planned, built, and crash tested BEFORE Australlia?

Chris

Spencifer_Murphy

Yup, you might remember a discussion on the forum here about a slot or viod in the nosecone - I think it was manchild's idea. It became quite a hot topic as news soon filtered down that the idea, was in fact, going to be run by Ferrari that (this) year.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.