Next FIA president? Next FOM CEO?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Chaparral

Re: Next FIA president?

nudge wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
Chaparral wrote:Mosely will run again - he has already stated that to BCE over the last 6 weeks - most likely he's firming up a deputy in Bin Sulayem. 8)
That sounds a bit far fetched to me. Sure, Bernie has said that Mosley would run again, but then Bernie tells a lot of tales when it suits his purposes (Donnington for Brit GP :lol: ).
its not far fetched at all...infact he has previous for doing just that.
i am nearly as certain as bernie that max will stand again
Yes Nudge I havent changed my view - Mosley will run again and get the vote he needs for another term (at least) - the voting parameters assure that. As for Bernie well he has a couple of issues the main one being servicing the CVC debt - just the interest payments alone are enormous and in a possibly shrinking market ( read venues & TV rights) given the current and foreseeable future. He also has his matrimonial situation to contend with from a personal view - theres a lot tied up in Slavica's accounts - basically all BCE's money - its got to play on your mind - it did mine when the time came! I still think BCE holds the upper hand though - he's the conduit for the teams re income stream - not Mosely so we shall see how that plays out. :)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

xpensive

Re: Next FIA president? Next FOM CEO?

I agree Chaparral, Mosely will surely run in, as well as win, the next FIA President election.
Unless someone pays off the thrird-world delegates better of course.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

DaveKillens

A couple of years ago Max stated that he was going to retire once he had dealt with issues. Now that there are bigger problems right now, I am sure he will be around for many more years.
Bernie? He loves his money, he won't stop.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

xpensive

And like so many other power-addicted and Machiavellian-style leaders, both have made sure that there are no clear threats to neither's position.

WhiteBlue

CVC needs a concord pretty badly and ultimately they are not in F1 to keep it. So in the end they need the FiA to move on and generate an exit strategy. If they start loosing money or fail to make money due to Bernie being in the way of a solution they will fire him.

If FiA and FOTA work against FOM Bernie will loose it in the end. He will talk tough and make little compromises as he allways did. And if he can he will sign his last deal on his death bed. They will have to carry him out of the office with the feet first.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

donskar

In the upcoming negotiations between Luca C de Montezemolo, and Bernie Hugestones over transparency and split of revenues, I'll put my money on de Montezemolo.

He has experience in business (real business, not just F1 funny business), deep experience in F1, and in politics (elective politics and F1 politics). In addition, I think he has an evil streak almost as wide as Bernie's.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

GTO

Ron Dennis.
He's close to passing the torch off at big Mac.
Love him or hate him...& I certainly hate him when the racing starts. But, I've got to admit that he's a great leader. I found these 2 speeches to be inspiring & motivating:

at the Motor Sport Business Forum in Bahrain

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66280

at the 'Leaders in London' business leadership conference
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72313

Paul

Autosport reports that Jean Todt has oficially left all positions he held with Ferrari. Is he getting ready to nominate himself for FIA president position, what do you think?

Henning

I'm not sure Todt could ever be impartial if he took up a role in the FIA. At least it would give the Secret-FIA-Ferrari-Advantage theorists some ammunition :roll:

WhiteBlue

just for memory jogging
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

snowmansion

Oh that's why i thought there was no thread regarding the new president of the FIA. The last post was written in march. I thought this is quite a hot item never expected it was not op top.

But ok, as i mentioned earlier i think Michel Boeri. As of Jean Todt, i think it has to clear that when a person enters such a high position there can not be any doubt or any rumours regarding his relations with ferrari c.q. being impartial. That will hunt him down for his whole career.

jddh1

snowmansion wrote:Oh that's why i thought there was no thread regarding the new president of the FIA. The last post was written in march. I thought this is quite a hot item never expected it was not op top.

But ok, as i mentioned earlier i think Michel Boeri. As of Jean Todt, i think it has to clear that when a person enters such a high position there can not be any doubt or any rumours regarding his relations with ferrari c.q. being impartial. That will hunt him down for his whole career.
It's easy to squash those thoughts with a couple of GOOD and IMPARTIAL decisions.

gibells

Following the last dictator (Max- you read it here first) someone with the deft touch of Kofi Anan is required. We need someone who is not going to bend 1 iota from the written rules.

I'm going to nominate Alain Prost and Gerhard Berger for the job. I think they both have a driver's perspective, a team bosses perspective and either would suite the role very well indeed. And they both happen to have worked for the major players, which would give make them sensitive to the impact rule changes make in preparations.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

WhiteBlue

I hope that the FIA will again select and vote for a man who is devoted to the objectives of the federation. To progress the issues of motorists and motor sport across the world. That includes safer roads, greener cars and governing motor sport to the good of the public stake holders. I just hope that this person will be as competent and hard working as Mosley was over many years and with the added advantage of a more charming leadership style.

Sometimes the FIA and the FIA president must direct the sports participants to follow the guidelines of the federation. This applies to fair rules of competition in terms of technical, sporting, financial and governance issues. If the commercial rights holder or the competing teams deviate from the goals of the membership the FIA must have the authority to bring them back on track. Hopefully Mosley's successor will do that with more tact and less confrontation.

One more thing I wish for the new guy is more distance from those who are exercising commercial and other powers in F1. Mosley has allied himself much too strongly to a friend of the past. His relationship with Bernie Ecclestone has led to an unhealthy excess of power on the commercial side. Grands prix should be awarded to countries who have done an excellent job to develop motor sport and not only to those whose governement pays most for modern facilities. The FIA has let the ultimate authority over the calendar slip too much towards Bernie doing all decisions. The same applies to the pricing policy of race tickets. The FIA championship is owned by the clubs that form the FIA and their members. Many of them would like to watch races and cannot due to unrealistic pricing. Excess money taken by CVC should go back to the race promotors and generally national clubs should be favoured as race promotors where ever that is sensible.

xpensive

Today we have the sad 300 year anniversary of Karl XII defeat to the Czar at Poltava, effectively ending Sweden's ambitions as a European superpower. Our ancestors even had colonies in the Carribeans, think about it, a vacation in New Sweden?

I have a hunch that someone at the FIA is heading for a similar fate.

Planning to celebrate the above together with my Russian mistress and a lot of Stolichnaya though.