Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

After reading the engine regs for 2014 I found some interesting things to note...I don't know if it was brought up before

Not only will the cars be allowed to have a motor/generator linked directly to the drive shaft of the ICE for KERS, they will also be allowed to have a motor/generator linked directly to the turbo shaft for KERS as well.

The KERS used to propel or brake the car cannot exceed 120kW or about 160hp. The batteries (or whatever stores the energy) can store a max of 5MJ. The KERS system can use a max of 4MJ per lap (max power output for 33 seconds), but can only recover a max of 2MJ per lap.

The car must drive only by the electric motor when in the pits.

The rear brake circuit can be electromechanically controlled.
Honda!

Richard
Richard

dren wrote: The KERS system can use a max of 4MJ per lap (max power output for 33 seconds), but can only recover a max of 2MJ per lap.

This is interesting, it will make KERS a more precious resource that has to be used sparingly and strategically. if you blow it all on one lap then the following lap is impaired. Conversely if you can save it up then you can use it against an opponent.
dren wrote: The rear brake circuit can be electromechanically controlled.
Is that as simple as it sounds, ie doesn't need to be mechanical, or does that open up the possibility of being linked to other systems? Linking it to the KERS harvesting would head into traction control territory.

beelsebob
beelsebob

That's actually really neat – it means you could use KERS to defeat turbo lag – use KERS to get the turbo spinning before exhaust is flowing fast... Not only are you then driving air into the engine but pulling exhaust gasses out of it! I wonder how tricky it would be to tune that nicely.

raymondu999

Sounds like something Newey would do.

Are the turbos going to be coming from the engine manufacturer side; or the constructor side? Also I've not much experience with turbos (except for those in engine bays in my garage :P) but the general idea is that the bigger they are; the bigger the lag; but the bigger the boost; and vice versa. Do these turbos work roughly on that same basis; and would teams be allowed to choose their boost "size?" I mean is it defined by the rules instead? I think it would make an absolutely interesting complication in terms of car setup if you could actually change it on the cars on a week by week basis
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dren

richard_leeds wrote:This is interesting, it will make KERS a more precious resource that has to be used sparingly and strategically. if you blow it all on one lap then the following lap is impaired. Conversely if you can save it up then you can use it against an opponent.
And you have to save it for pitting! That could get interesting.
richard_leeds wrote: Is that as simple as it sounds, ie doesn't need to be mechanical, or does that open up the possibility of being linked to other systems? Linking it to the KERS harvesting would head into traction control territory.
The stuff in pink means it is new for 2014.

5.5.1 The only means by which the driver may control acceleration torque to the driven wheels is via
a single chassis mounted foot (accelerator) pedal.

11.1.3 Any powered device which is capable of altering the configuration or affecting the
performance of any part of the brake system is forbidden.

11.7 ERS brake valve :
The pressure generated by the driver in the rear brake circuit may be reduced by the use of an
ERS brake pressure reducing valve. The valve must be manufactured by an FIA designated
supplier and installed in accordance with the fitting instructions which may be found in the
Appendix to these regulations.
Any such valve may only be controlled by the control electronics described in Article 8.2.
Last edited by dren on 03 Oct 2011, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Honda!

raymondu999

How long will it be until they can map the proper forces and tyre rotational speeds to utilize 11.7 to create ABS? I wonder...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dren

That is what I was thinking. With KERS and the brake valve, they should be able to have some sort of ABS at the rear.
Honda!

raymondu999

I don't think it would be possible to make that into TCS; but ABS; I can see how that would happen.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard
Richard

So the new rules allows brake-by-wire but no external inputs other than the driver's foot? I think that would also apply to the brake valve.

I wonder if KERS harvesting on the drive shaft could be designed to harvest by default when braking, then stop harvesting at low revs to avoid locked wheels? Then they could shift the brake bias slightly rearward without worrying about locking rears.

dren

raymondu999 wrote:Sounds like something Newey would do.

Are the turbos going to be coming from the engine manufacturer side; or the constructor side?
I'm going to guess from the manufacturer. Although, I don't see why the constructor couldn't change the turbo. I'm assuming the constructors purchase a "power unit".

5.3.8 When establishing conformity with Article 5.3.5 the power unit will not include :
- Energy store.
- Flywheel, main driveline clutch and the actuation system.
- Electronic Control Units or any associated devices containing programmable
semiconductors.
- Wiring between the ES and any Electronic Control Unit.
- Exhaust pipes beyond the turbine exit and beyond any waste gate exit.
- The intake system up to the compressor inlet.
- Heat shields.
- Studs used to mount the power unit to the chassis and gearbox.
- Water system accumulators.
- Heat exchangers and their associated hoses, pipes and other accessories.
- Hydraulic system.
- Fuel feed pumps and their associated accessories.
- Any ancillary equipment associated with the engine air valve system.
Last edited by dren on 03 Oct 2011, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Honda!

dren

Something else to note. The fuel flow is restricted to limit power, indirectly limiting the boost to the desired A/F ratio.

5.1.4 Fuel mass flow must not exceed 100kg/h.
5.1.5 Below 10500rpm the fuel mass flow must not exceed Q (kg/h) = 0.009 N(rpm)+ 5.
5.1.6 Pressure charging may only be effected by the use of a sole single stage compressor linked to a
sole single stage exhaust turbine by a common shaft parallel to the engine crankshaft and
within 25mm of the car centre line. An electrical motor generator (MGUH) may be directly
coupled to the same shaft.
Honda!

MIKEY_!

Variable vane turbos anyone?

BTW drivers will cry if they have to pit for too long and run out of electricity near the exit.

dren

MIKEY_! wrote:Variable vane turbos anyone?
Those are banned.
Honda!

Richard
Richard

Mikey - sitting stationary in the pits won't use any electricity.

Also the engine will still be idling hence able to keep the batteries charged up ... if KERS harvesting is on the flywheel but not if they put it on the driveshaft.

beelsebob
beelsebob

richard_leeds wrote:Mikey - sitting stationary in the pits won't use any electricity.

Also the engine will still be idling hence able to keep the batteries charged up ... if KERS harvesting is on the flywheel but not if they put it on the driveshaft.
Are you sure that engine idling is allowed to charge the batteries. According to the 2011 rules:
F1 2011 Tech Regs wrote:5.2.4 The amount of stored energy in any KERS may not be increased whilst the car is stationary during a race pit stop.
Has this changed in the 2014 ones?