Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
McMrocks

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

I'm really not sure if i'm right in this thread but:
scarbs wrote:http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/0 ... published/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

9.8.2 At the race start and at pit stops, first gear must be used until the car is travelling 100kmh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkS5cMAVn4I" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
watch here at 42sec. Massa shifts in 2nd gear below 100 kph
or here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJsqex_hSlY
he is to fast or he shifts up before 100kph.

beelsebob

McMrocks wrote:I'm really not sure if i'm right in this thread but:
scarbs wrote:http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/0 ... published/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

9.8.2 At the race start and at pit stops, first gear must be used until the car is travelling 100kmh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkS5cMAVn4I" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
watch here at 42sec. Massa shifts in 2nd gear below 100 kph
or here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJsqex_hSlY
he is to fast or he shifts up before 100kph.
That could go a long way to explaining Ferrari's rocket like starts compared to everyone else.

bhall

You can't trust the on-screen telemetry. It's only an approximation.

For instance, in the Malaysia video, the on-screen telemetry indicates Massa's engine is at just over 14,000 RPM prior to the start, while the display on his steering wheel clearly reads 13.3.

Moreover, this is exactly the sort of thing the SECU was implemented to police.

beelsebob

bhallg2k wrote:You can't trust the on-screen telemetry. It's only an approximation.

For instance, in the Malaysia video, the on-screen telemetry indicates Massa's engine is at just over 14,000 RPM prior to the start, while the display on his steering wheel clearly reads 13.3.

Moreover, this is exactly the sort of thing the SECU was implemented to police.
If he was over 100km/h in the pit lane he was breaking the pit lane speed limit, if he wasn't he was breaking the 1st gear rule.

bhall

How do you figure? Drivers are allowed to reach 100 km/hr within the pit lane, and once at that speed, the driver can use whichever gear suits his fancy.

And look:
(Click to enlarge)

Massa's at a dead stop, but the on-screen telemetry thinks he still in motion.

Those graphics are for entertainment purposes only. You can't really learn anything from them because they represent an approximation rather than a reflection of reality.

EDIT:
(Click to enlarge)
Last edited by bhall on 03 Jun 2012, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob

bhallg2k wrote:How do you figure? Drivers are allowed to reach 100 km/hr within the pit lane, and once at that speed, the driver can use whichever gear suits his fancy.

And look:

Those graphics are for entertainment purposes only. You can't really learn anything from them because they represent an approximation rather than a reflection of reality.
I actually just went and checked the rules to verify whether this is in fact possible, scarbs' quote is either a paraphrasing or an early version of the rule, the current rule allows you to hit second as long as you're within 10km/h of the pit lane speed limit.

bhall

That's a bit of a relief. It's not at all uncommon for me "know" something beyond any reasonable doubt only to find that I've missed something very obvious that I should have caught.

In other words, I'd be a terrible juror.

N12ck

Just had a read through the 2014 regulations, and from what I can see I think it bans the extra winglets on the front wing, unless my interpretation is wrong,

what do you think? :)
Budding F1 Engineer

siskue2005

bhallg2k wrote:How do you figure? Drivers are allowed to reach 100 km/hr within the pit lane, and once at that speed, the driver can use whichever gear suits his fancy.

And look:
(Click to enlarge)

Nice manupulation to suit ur needs mate, u can clearly see in this pic the front jack man is on the process of putting the jack.....which mean Massa is about to stop and in the process of deceleration ...why dont you post the next frame?

EDIT:
(Click to enlarge)
That is not speed it is displaying
its some other parameter (Could be rpm as they are goin to start the race)
they can diplay all sorts of thing there from a press of a button

Caito

I'd reckon that could clearly be some temperature reading.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

bhall

siskue2005 wrote:Nice manupulation to suit ur needs mate, u can clearly see in this pic the front jack man is on the process of putting the jack.....which mean Massa is about to stop and in the process of deceleration ...why dont you post the next frame?
Man, this was months ago, and it's been culled from another thread. Do you even know what this conversation was about?

But, since you brought it up, look at the yellow marks on the tarmac. The car is stopped on the target marks.
siskue2005 wrote:That is not speed it is displaying
its some other parameter (Could be rpm as they are goin to start the race)
they can diplay all sorts of thing there from a press of a button
I know. It's RPM. The wheel reads 13.2 (maybe 13.7); the on-screen graphic indicates just over 14,000.

If someone ever invents a time machine, I hope we put it to better use than this.

EDIT: Why are those posts dated June 3rd when the conversation took place just after the Malaysian Grand Prix?

N12ck

can anyone clear up the front wing regs for 2014 it seems to suggest no extra winglets, can you have a look please, its in article 3.7.5 predominantley
Budding F1 Engineer

Plutus

N12ck wrote:can anyone clear up the front wing regs for 2014 it seems to suggest no extra winglets, can you have a look please, its in article 3.7.5 predominantley
I don't see a reason, why it should forbid the teams of adding winglets but it certainly reduces the amount of winglets which could be added to the front wing.
"Failure is not falling down, it is not getting up again."

"Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: Fear of long words."

N12ck

Plutus wrote:
N12ck wrote:can anyone clear up the front wing regs for 2014 it seems to suggest no extra winglets, can you have a look please, its in article 3.7.5 predominantley
I don't see a reason, why it should forbid the teams of adding winglets but it certainly reduces the amount of winglets which could be added to the front wing.
I have checked it out, Winglets are allowed, but not as many as currently
Budding F1 Engineer

amc
amc

Not sure if this has already been covered, but I don't think it affects winglets at all.

The first change is a 150mm reduction in overall front wing width, and a slightly more inboard endplate. However, I think the continuous line clause will mean that the endplate must be one piece. This is because 'this bodwyork' in 3.7.5 I think could be interpreted as 'the bodywork required to define the projected area of no less than 95,000mm^2 in side view', or in other words: the 'endplate'. As an example, I believe the current Sauber endplate would be legal but the current Mercedes AMG one wouldn't. The winglets will not be affected by the continuous line regulation.

Even if winglets are affected, they are still unlimited within 750mm from the centreline, and one cascade is still allowed as long as it joins to the top of the endplate and forms one piece.
"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something."