Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RicME85

Re: Sauber C33 Ferrari

Nope.
Image from the f1 rule book:
The FIA scrutineering bay (you can see the parts on the right side of the image that fit the holes):

Dream Theater

jagunx51 wrote:
RicME85 wrote:They are on all cars, they are mandated.
Fixing points + FIA measuring points iirc
ohhh..... is it possible/allowed to make specific shape of the hole, thus could generate desired airflow ?
They're closed holes. I don't understand how they can interact with the airflow, or what are you assuming...

jagunx51

Dream Theater wrote:
jagunx51 wrote:
RicME85 wrote:They are on all cars, they are mandated.
Fixing points + FIA measuring points iirc
ohhh..... is it possible/allowed to make specific shape of the hole, thus could generate desired airflow ?
They're closed holes. I don't understand how they can interact with the airflow, or what are you assuming...
imo, its a big hole .... and considering there is only small gap between underfloor and the track, 7 holes could make distraction to airflow ... if the function are just to be fitted with the scrutineering bay, why teams not seal them with some kind of tape (or else) for smoother airflow :?:
............!!!!

beelsebob

jagunx51 wrote:imo, its a big hole .... and considering there is only small gap between underfloor and the track, 7 holes could make distraction to airflow ... if the function are just to be fitted with the scrutineering bay, why teams not seal them with some kind of tape (or else) for smoother airflow :?:
http://i.imgur.com/fBqRohV.jpg
They don't do that, because the tape (or something else) would be considered "bodywork" by the FIA, and then the team would have bodywork visible from under the car that's not on one of the reference or step planes. That would make their car illegal.

bhall

jagunx51 wrote:imo, its a big hole .... and considering there is only small gap between underfloor and the track, 7 holes could make distraction to airflow ... if the function are just to be fitted with the scrutineering bay, why teams not seal them with some kind of tape (or else) for smoother airflow :?:
http://i.imgur.com/fBqRohV.jpg
It's not really a big deal, because the diffuser is fed by air flow along the sides of the plank, not directly under it.

via Scarbs

flyboy2160

jagunx51 wrote:looks like an uneven plank ..... what are they for ? i'm just wondering how they affect the airflow towards diffuser....
My recollection is that those wooden planks were added for 2 reasons: to reduce downforce and to make the chassis bottom/diffuser downforce much less dependent on variations in the ride height of the car.

Prior to the planks raising up the outer areas of the floor bottom (making what is called a "stepped bottom"), teams and drivers would try to run the flat bottom chassis floor very close to the ground to try to get more downforce.

One disadvantage of this was that the chassis floor downforce could be greatly reduced if the car bottom got raised up just a bit. Some of the reports about Senna's death claim that he kept asking for the car to be lowered despite its bottoming out on bumps. One speculation is that his car hit a bump, the chassis floor raised up, and he lost a massive amount of downforce.

The higher floor areas caused by the mandated plank are supposedly much less susceptible to variations in the floor height off the ground.

At least as I recall this from years ago......

edit: I believe his death came the first year that active suspension was banned. Prior to that the teams used the active suspension to maintain the floor to ground gap. But without that system, the floor was controlled by just a normal "passive" suspension and was thus free to move up and down much more.

The planks are monitored by the FIA for wear to keep the teams from letting them be ground off by the road and thus lowering the cars.

diffuser

Re: Ferrari F14T

ecapox wrote:I have looked around at my usual sources and see nothing about the Shell fuel. Not to say that it is going to be published. I'd try to keep it hush hushif possible.
That's another rule they should change. They should run on regular pump fuel.

Tommy Cookers

Re: Ferrari F14T

yes, since 1958 F1 has had to run on fuel limited to the same Octane Number as the best road fuel
now the rules have no limit of Octane Number (maximum)

the NA engines would not benefit from this, the 2014 engines will benefit greatly

Mamba

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Hi everyone I am newly registered here although I have followed the topics for some time. I am not very technically oriented as of yet to F1 having stopped a few years ago but I have started this year in earnest after the movie RUSH.

I have a simple question. I have recently taken to start designing my own Car for the 2015 season but I want to know what are the rules regarding the Diffuser, both size and max height and width.

Also regarding the rear light. The FIA regulations state that the light must be mounted at least 300mm +-5 above the reference plane. Is this to the bottom or to the Centre of the light? Also what are the measurements of the rear light approx.? (height and width)

Thanks for the help
MAMBA

Powershift

I guess this goes here

Formula 1 teams in push to make cars more visually spectacular
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113621
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

mikeerfol

Powershift wrote:I guess this goes here

Standing starts after a safety car? #-o :wtf:

beelsebob

mikeerfol wrote:

Sounds great to me. The current rolling start gives an obscene advantage to the leader. A standing start would also make it much easier to sort out the mess with back markers needing to join the back of the procession, as the leaders would no longer be moving.

db__

beelsebob wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:

Sounds great to me. The current rolling start gives an obscene advantage to the leader. A standing start would also make it much easier to sort out the mess with back markers needing to join the back of the procession, as the leaders would no longer be moving.
I dunno. A standing start means that the cars would have to stop. Depending on how long they are held for presumably that would mean a 'restart' as in when a race is red flagged, so pit crews on the track etc, tire warmers on etc etc. Whilst I think the current system and especially the time wasted with backmarkers unlapping themselves (wouldn't it be easier for them to pull over and let the crocodile pass them?) needs improving, at least it's fairly quick. A standing start could mean a 15 minute delay which I really wouldn't want to see. If it doesn't mean teams on the track then cold tires/stalls are just going to cause carnage at the restart.

In any event I don't necessarily mind the leader getting some advantage - half the time this is a leader who could have stormed off and built up a decent lead only to have it wiped out. Unless you have a rolling start with all cars running to a delta to maintain the gap before the incident it's all artificial and down to luck anyway.

agip

beelsebob wrote:Sounds great to me. The current rolling start gives an obscene advantage to the leader.
The same advantage the leader had lost with the safety car?

Töm87

Shorter races???
Are they frikkin kidding me??? :wtf:
I am quiet confident, though that TV stations won't allow that. After all, less racing, less commersials.
Sparks would be great obviously.