Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kooleracer

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

lkm9719 wrote:limit race fuel is what make the driver can't push more , as from 160kg fuel down to 100kg is huge for racing
Not totally true for every race. In Monaco they started with 85kg. Canada is a stop start circuit that's why they were all critical on fuel. Sometimes its fuel and sometimes its the tires. It think FIA should open up the limitation on electric discharge and charge. ERS is the future why limit the use of it. I hope for 2017 they let the teams decide how much MJ they can charge and discharge, like in WEC.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Moose

It's interesting that RedBull are proposing this.

I'm pretty sure that they still have a substantial under-floor downforce advantage. You can see this in the size of the rear wing that they run. That, and the fact that they're suggesting this says that it's clearly in their interest to have under floor downforce become more important.

RicME85

Yeah but they also want to keep these intricate front wings that are a large part of the current problem.
Why go GE to improve racing but keep the front wings that in clear air guide all the air to relevant places but when following can't do their job properly?
Hi GE and remove the reliance on those devices is surely the better option as they other teams suggest.

Blackout

RBR maybe wants to keep that kind of FW and even make it larger but it seems many other teams want smaller and simpler FW, whitch is very good.
Last edited by Blackout on 23 Aug 2015, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

Maybe it's an indication that Red Bull's wing is focussed in aiding rear end downforce in some way; presumably diffuser sealing with clever use of vortices. They obviously hope that coupling their known wing to a new diffuser/tunnel system will be a "golden bullet" that will give them a big advantage.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jknights

RicME85 wrote:Yeah but they also want to keep these intricate front wings that are a large part of the current problem.
Why go GE to improve racing but keep the front wings that in clear air guide all the air to relevant places but when following can't do their job properly?
Hi GE and remove the reliance on those devices is surely the better option as they other teams suggest.
I would favour removal of front wings entirely. These aerodynamic twiddles increase spend as there is huge R&D investment plus they get broken all the time.

outer_bongolia

I did not go through all the discussion, but I have a proposal that I would like to get your inputs on:

The teams have to use ALL of the tires that they used for qualifying.

Basically, this will force the teams that were able to hit Q3 to adopt at least a 2 stop race, assuming they will use a new set for each section. Of course, a team might try to use the same tire for -say- Q1 and Q2. But now they have a 6 lap old tire instead of a 3 lap one. Another set of rules to bolster this one would be:

Cars failing to set a time at the new qualifying step fall to the previous one and line up according to their time in the previous qualifying step. Top cars from the previous qualifying are promoted to replace them.

Ok, my wording sucks. Let me give an example to describe what I tried to say: if say 2 cars do not set a time in Q3, they fall to Q2. (They would end up lining up 11th and 12th, because their times would have been enough for that.) Then, the original 11th and 12th cars would replace them in 9th and 10th.

One more thing, of course, is:

An intermediate or rain set can be used in place of a set used in qualifying

So that when it rains no one does stupid risky stuff.

What do y'all say?
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Pierce89

Every real study into the problem, has shown that "GE" based solutions are not any more benign or robust in aerodynamically than "wing" based solutions. Unfortunately the only way to fix the problem is greatly reduce reliance on downforce. Anyone who thinks conversion over to shaped venturi tunnel floors will fix the current problem hasn't really done any real reading of all the available studies.

Remember the OWG that designed the 2009 regs actually tried their best to neuter the diffuser, because their WT studies showed that GE was no magic bullet to fix the overtaking/traffic/turbulence problem f1 has.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

Don't get too excited, it won't change anything.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher