2008 Jerez Test 22-25 July

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso

Re: Jerez Test (22-24 July 2008)

From day one of the test, if not used before, Honda have increased the length of their exhausts. I tried checking images from the German GP but could not find any close-up shots of the rear end and the normal pics of the RA108 did not seem to have this extra long length, so I'm pressuming that this is a new development.

The rear wing is also different from the one used in Germany, this is a low downforce design, compared to the more aggresively angled and shaped wing at Hockenheim.

Regarding the exhaust placement, why would they run the risk of placing the exhaust directly over the suspension components? And apparently their is no additional protection for them.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

axle

Well the suspension is all new for one thing...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69392

By the time the exhaut reaches that tip over the suspension it will have been exposed to a cooling airflow already and will have lost a significant amount of heat......I guess they've tested the temps on the engine dyno and through CFD and believe they can get away with it...

I wonder if it's a move to either promote more torque and thus drivability or to narrow the exhaust diffusion area when it hits the rear wing/goes through the apature.
- Axle

Henne

Those long exhaust pipes could increase the dirty airflow behind the car, so cars trying to slipstream behind the Honda would have a harder time gaining speed.

I always preferred the old pipes really coming out the back of the cars, looked way much cooler too ;)

guy_smiley

Re: Jerez Test

Ogami musashi wrote:The BMW is equiped with a KERS system.

The sidepods contain batteries.

One of the mechanics was electrocuted this morning touching one part, he has nothing serious.
Pictures of said victim:

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... catID=3605 (check out Christian Klein--he must be thinking "what the hell is going on here?"
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... catID=3605

Poor guy... :?

Notice the sidepod in the second picture. You can see vertical slots along the length--cooling is my guess...
Smiles all 'round!

Birel99

http://motorsport.com/photos/popup.asp? ... .140:66002

notice the honda exhaust's are not the same on the left cylinder bank and the right.

Henne

Birel99 wrote:http://motorsport.com/photos/popup.asp? ... .140:66002

notice the honda exhaust's are not the same on the left cylinder bank and the right.
Picture doesn't work here...

gubarak

shark fin for honda.?!?

edit: sorry.. just looked like it from that angle :oops:

We@sel

A designer knows that he achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery

timbo

That looks crazy!

gerhard

I read Honda test their shark fin engine cover this morning. Any pics of it? :)

P.S: is BMW running a slightly different engine cover, or its just my eyes?

Moanlower

Wurz on wednesday

Barichello on thursday

Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

Spencifer_Murphy

The interesting thing about Mclaren's version of BMW's "Antler Wings" is that they are being tested on the car WITH the bridge wing. In Mike Gascoynes half-term tech report for F1 racing mag, he says that the two items are both used for similar purposes (to improve the efficiency of the rear wing by conditioning the flow off of the front wing) he says because of this you won't see teams using both solutions on their cars.

I wonder if Mclaren are simply evaluating the part after getting it to work in GFD simulations?
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

myurr

timbo wrote:That looks crazy!
yeah... ewwwww...

axle

myurr wrote:
timbo wrote:That looks crazy!
yeah... ewwwww...
Way to ruin a car...I think anything that isn't asthetically pleasing to the majority should be banned - lol.
- Axle

Sawtooth-spike

BMW using low downforce 2009 ish spec and slicks.

Notice how wide the nose is again. Could this be something we will see next season?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!