Singapore Night GP 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo

Re: Singapore Night GP 2008

roost89 wrote:I was reading this on Reuters: http://f1.uk.reuters.com/f1/news/India-357734-1.php
Red Bull blamed an electrical surge, passing from tram-lines beneath the circuit, to cause Webbers gearbox to break. Is that possible? I thought rubber was an insulator, so electricity can't pass from ground to car, or car to ground.

Thoughts?
I think it is electro-magnetic impulse which is to blame, caused by discharge. Several years ago I used tram-lime to get to work, I noticed that my floppies died after ride on a tram quite often.

axle

They say it affected Bourdais on Friday too...so yes I believe it must be possible, quite why the Redbull gearbox was the only one susseptable(sp?) is another matter.
- Axle

roost89

timbo wrote:I think it is electro-magnetic impulse which is to blame, caused by discharge. Several years ago I used tram-lime to get to work, I noticed that my floppies died after ride on a tram quite often.
axle wrote:They say it affected Bourdais on Friday too...so yes I believe it must be possible, quite why the Redbull gearbox was the only one susseptable(sp?) is another matter.
The EMI sounds plausable although I (like Axle) can't see how it didn't affect any other cars, unless that was the single time that they (car and tram) crossed paths. Which when 20 or so cars are circulating around the circuit once every 105 or so seconds, sounds quite implausable.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Conceptual

roost89 wrote:
timbo wrote:I think it is electro-magnetic impulse which is to blame, caused by discharge. Several years ago I used tram-lime to get to work, I noticed that my floppies died after ride on a tram quite often.
axle wrote:They say it affected Bourdais on Friday too...so yes I believe it must be possible, quite why the Redbull gearbox was the only one susseptable(sp?) is another matter.
The EMI sounds plausable although I (like Axle) can't see how it didn't affect any other cars, unless that was the single time that they (car and tram) crossed paths. Which when 20 or so cars are circulating around the circuit once every 105 or so seconds, sounds quite implausable.
Do RBR and STR use identical gearboxes?

I wouldn't say that it didnt effect other drivers, maybe just in different ways. EMI would effect different designs differently I would think. Maybe RBR nnd STR have externally mounted parts where others shield them. Does anyon have close up pics of the gearboxes of these cars?

PlatinumZealot

The Australian, who has been dogged by bad luck in a 118-race Formula One career, was on course for a podium finish in the first night-time grand prix when his car's gearbox tried to select two gears at once and broke on lap 30.

Team boss Christian Horner told Britain's Autosport magazine on Thursday that it appeared a sudden electrical surge at turn 13 was responsible.

"A tram line runs beneath the track at that corner and it seems as if static from a passing tram at the very moment Mark was in the corner passed through the ground," he said.
Definitely some interference..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Conceptual

The interview with Christian Horner on www.formula1.speedtv.com states that Webber and Bourdais malfunctions were identical, and happened at the same spot on the track, within a few meters.

It seems that other teams had issues also, but nothing that ended the race, so it does look as if the RBR and STR gearbox had a higher level of sensitivity than the other teams.

modbaraban

Conceptual wrote:Suzuka under the lights?

I would REALLY like to see that!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4P8FknFwvo[/youtube]

=D>

Conceptual

modbaraban wrote:
Conceptual wrote:Suzuka under the lights?

I would REALLY like to see that!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4P8FknFwvo[/youtube]

=D>
THANK YOU!

Now if you forward it to Bernie, we may see it for 2009!

ben_watkins

Bernie hits back at Luca Di Montezemelo's comments of the Singapore GP "circus" by saying he provided the "clowns" !!!

:o :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx ... 2&PO=44162
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

modbaraban

+1 :lol:

I also found this:

Miguel

I digress. The line is not that thin :mrgreen: :lol:
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr