Singapore Night GP 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
modbaraban
modbaraban

Re: Singapore Night GP 2008

Yuck. That mod has engine sounds so messed up #-o And the steering doesn't move... that sort of kills the immersion factor. As for the track itself, first impression - Valencia take 2 :| (I hope I'm wrong here)

timbo
timbo

modbaraban wrote:As for the track itself, first impression - Valencia take 2 :| (I hope I'm wrong here)
I think it will be better. IMO thing that spolied Valencia was the absense of actual straights. For sure it is pretty fast circuit but full-throttle areas are actually long sweeping turns that have single preferred line. Here we have several straights with hard bracking zones.

Scotracer
Scotracer

modbaraban wrote:Yuck. That mod has engine sounds so messed up #-o And the steering doesn't move... that sort of kills the immersion factor. As for the track itself, first impression - Valencia take 2 :| (I hope I'm wrong here)
The steering wheel does move and the hands move with it...

Also, the sounds are much better than the ISI BMW -- each car in the mod has its own sounds are they are pretty close to real life.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

modbaraban
modbaraban

Scotracer wrote:The steering wheel does move and the hands move with it...
Right, watched it again. They do for a dew degrees :) I'm more used to full 360'. My own wheel is set to 450' lock-to-lock for openwheelers (and the same for ingame setting). perhaps it's the issue of a replay mode. You also forgot to mention that the hands moce with the wheel because they aren't attached to the body :)
Scotracer wrote:Also, the sounds are much better than the ISI BMW -- each car in the mod has its own sounds are they are pretty close to real life.
But the sounds are awful, honestly. Low, mid, high and max rev samples, on and off throttle samples don't merge properly (poor overlapping), and backfires often sound like it's something separate and independant from the car. CTDP's BMW sounds are miles better. They're not perfect, but at least they work.
More Singapore:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7snLrNld418[/youtube]
(turn the volume up a bit)

ernos5

wow baraban, ur singapore lap was much mroe fun to watch, looked much faster your closer to the limit..

Scotracer
Scotracer

ernos5 wrote:wow baraban, ur singapore lap was much mroe fun to watch, looked much faster your closer to the limit..
Too bad I was about 1 second faster :D
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

modbaraban
modbaraban

That was a fast youtube search not lap lol. Actually I don't even know the track well enough to do a half decent lap out there :wink:

alexbarwell
alexbarwell

Regarding the poll "Who will win the first night race at Singapore?"
There wasn't an option of 'ask ferrari what outcome they would like'

Joke! joke!

:oops:
I am an engineer, not a conceptualist :)

tweet
tweet

axle
axle

How many more times will it be posted before the week is out...

Rain and glare from lights...can't wait! :D
- Axle

casper
casper

With a major tropical storm battering Hong Kong Tomorrow, Weather underground forecasts thunderstorms to occur on Friday practice (50% rain), Saturday qualifying (80% rain), and race night (60% rain).

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48698.html

I hope they won't stop the race just because a few faint hearted drivers voiced concern that it is unsafe to drive in the rian at night. Well, if they drive at 100 kph, then they will be able to finish the race without sliding or spinning. Or race starts under the safety car for the first 60 laps, and everybody scrambles for position on the last lap. That would be fun to watch.

WhiteBlue

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea ... y?id=45877

I just read that they installed the first 5 MW wind turbine in the North Sea. The Singapore light system has 3.2 MW and some awefully concerned people thought it has an evironmental impact. LOL
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

First images of the Formula One night setup at the circuit...

Although sections like the above definately need to be more lit up.

And I like those rumble strips on the inside of the kurb- first picture, they should be used in areas where drivers could cut chicanes (or the like), as to discourage doing so.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

shir0

Commenting on the first two pictures, the lighting definitely is first rate! although I agree that it's still not "bright enough" in the picture, I believe that they can control the intensity snd it will certainly be brighter during the race.

The last pic shows a section where the lights in the gantry are not powered on. It's just the usual street lights with the yellowish glow which is providing the lighting.

I definitely regret ditching my plan to see this race live in Singapore for a beach vacation with my wife this weekend. So an advise to those who are still single...be sure to marry someone who's passionate for F1. :shock:

Ask Principessa for the numbers of her friends! :mrgreen:
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

Ray

You have to remember that photos with a camera at night don't always show you everything. The human eye adjusts much better than a camera can, so the light may be very bright there.