BBC says no HDTV from FOM in 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of watching the most expensive Sport in SDTV

With the money F1 is making it is a scandal that the customers do not get HDTV
74%
Sponsorships would have much more appeal if races were in high definition
4%
Ecclestone should save the money for a HDTV production
2%
I don't care because I have an old tube anyway
20%

Total votes: 50

vyselegend

Re: BBC says no HDTV from FOM in 2009

Absolutly not! But France is historically the crapiest country for TV lol :lol:

It started with General's de Gaulle, who have made us eat some 50Hz for 50 years, and while in the principle it did make some sense, in practice it was totally --- up by the fact that the whole planet opted for 60Hz (a bit like english/americans with their totally random units systems like "miles" and such), which mean I passed my childhood playing videogames in "crashed' mode (like a forced 16/9 over a 4/3 image, it made every charaters looks like a very fat guy...) AND 20% slowed down animation... So then I passed my teenage buying only import consoles and games, which was economically painfull as hell.

Anyway sorry for the OT, but I suddently had to share my distress over the 50Hz story...

Back to your question, the only HD streams there come from a few modern channels like NRJ12 (it has futurama, but the rest is crap) and a few other broadcasts in 720p, but this is just from the relatively recent internet TV deal (freeboxes etc). Believe it or not, but up to 2000 or something like that, french TV had only 6 channels, which were incredibly lame btw! :lol:

And while the whole world had 300+ channels, we upgraded to 7, with the adddition of the intellectual brain destructor franco-german channel "Arte" LOL.

MattF1

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A342POMJ
Here is a link to a short clip of HD F1, just to show you how good it is.

Miguel

Thanks for the link, MattF1. I know this may be abusing your generosity, but do you have anything smaller? That file is almost 500 Mbs, and with let's say 1m of action one would get the idea.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

WhiteBlue

THX MattF1

I'm jst downloading it at 150kbit/s. Curious like hell how that will look on my 46" LED Samsung. There is quite a bit of HD programming on Astra and Hotbird which is in French, Spanish, English and German. Germany is actually not the biggest market for HDTV. That is by far the USA, but Bernie likes to ignore that market, as we know.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

MattF1

Sorry, but it's not actually my file. I came across it whilst browsing an F1 coverage thread on a TV forum.

enkidu

Well after watching that race in HD I feel its going to be pants watching 480p. The cars looked amazing, you can actually see the detail as they are racing!

jddh1

Hey guys,
I have to bring up this topic again because I've been watching this season's races on the Speed HD (usa) channel. I am not sure if it's upscaled to be honest. Comparing that to the regular Speed channel on the same TV at home where the image is "cropped" on the sides, it does seem like the actual feed is in HD.
Am I wrong here to think that the feed is genuine High Def? Am I being fooled by a regular wide angle shot which is then upscaled to 1080i? (My Road Runner box is limited to 1080i. No one has the 1080p cable boxes as far as I know.)
So, any fellow USAers, what have you noticed?

Giblet

It is upscaled.

The original broadcast is not HD unfortunately.

Upscaling tech can do lots, especially in sharpness.

My $159 cdn 12mp Kodak camera takes nice movies in 720p HD.

Did I say it was $159?

So whoever says no to HD in the first place, PONY UP.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Conceptual

I recently downloaded the SpeedTV HD races for China and Bahrain, and I must say that it does look good, but the BBC webstream in HQ is also very good.

I think I will continue watching the live races on BBC (no ads) and download the ad cropped SpeedHD versions a week or so later.

Man, if the FOM were to go full 1080p HDTV, these cars, and the tech in them, would be much more visible to the people watching on TV.

I cannot think of a single solitary thing that could highlight the technology of F1 more than the full HD that is rampantly available. Our local university have recently upgraded their Mass Communications department to full HD equipment (22 cameras and a bunch of Macs) and it cost a whopping $250k USD.

Bernie could shake that from his couch cushions!

Miguel

Conceptual wrote:Man, if the FOM were to go full 1080p HDTV, these cars, and the tech in them, would be much more visible to the people watching on TV.
If the FOM went 1080p, nobody would have enough bandwith to handle the content and you either watch a 720p/1080i version of it, or go to the races live. Not watching them is obviously not an option. Just feeling a tad nitpicky today.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

WhiteBlue

I have no problem with bandwidth. Its just greedy Bernie who pinches the pennies. Discovery HD comes fine to my home. my internet download takes 32 Mbit and my Satellite DVB-S2 goes up to 60 Mbit/s. Bring it on Bernie!
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)