India will host 2011 Grand Prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Belatti

Re: India 'will host 2011 Grand Prix'

Is Tilke behhind this?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Fil

Yep, the Hermannator is terminating another opportunity for a fresh new circuit.. 5.5kms (3.1miles) long.

"It looks like a circuit in two halves, with several slow corners before and after the main start/finish straight.. ..But the other half of the track includes several longer-radius corners and some quick-looking bends."

:roll: i swear this same quote has been recycled for the last 5 Hermann Tilke tracks..
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

WhiteBlue

I wouldn't bet my house yet on an Indian GP taking place in 2011. There are some pros and cons.

The most serious obstacle is the believe of government officials that F1 is a sport which should not receive tax payers money and without that none of the new races in Asia has yet been viable.

The good news is that Bernie will probably get more races in turn for lower fees for the core European races. So if the Indian venue is in a place where racing in winter is feasible they have a chance of making it to one of the additional winter slots.

In the end it is all about money and we will have to wait and see if that materializes.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

Joe Saward blogged on the Indian GP here saying that work is on schedule.

The new Tilke drome will actually have artificial elevation changes of up to 20 meters. That sounds like expensive work on the flat farmland. Unless there are serious political threats to the project I reckon that Tlke project management will see this finished in time for the GP next year.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Miguel

Looks mildly interesting, like a mix Bahrain, the Nürburgring Dunlop hairpin and some hints of Sebring. But I might be high on chocolate...
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Pandamasque

Another awful place to set up a parade of F1 cars. :roll: Not a single fast turn!

autogyro

Pandamasque wrote:Another awful place to set up a parade of F1 cars. :roll: Not a single fast turn!
Looking at the plan, they would be better using the ring road and including a banked Monza type turn at the NW corner.
I love the old banked turns, it would play havock with DF and ride height though.

wesley123

cant Tilke make something new? We've seen this in bahrain, shanghai, Abu Dabhi and i odnt know where anymore, it is getting anoying. do something new please
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

hecti

should have made it a figure 8.....

mx_tifoso

Or a glorified kart track for that matter.

And the building in the last pic is so modern it's 80's.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Ted68

The access road around the outside looks to be a better track design.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

Mr Alcatraz

WhiteBlue wrote:Joe Saward blogged on the Indian GP here saying that work is on schedule.

The new Tilke drome will actually have artificial elevation changes of up to 20 meters. That sounds like expensive work on the flat farmland. Unless there are serious political threats to the project I reckon that Tlke project management will see this finished in time for the GP next year.
I'm hoping this is just an acid flashback ;)
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Chaparral

Another white elephant like Bahrain, China, Abu D, Korea - countries who have no ties to motor sport what a waste of money - the circuit well Tilke can pump these out as easy as Tesco pump out specials at the till :roll:
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

hecti

I want the A1 ring back!!!!

just popped into my head while reading the thread....

donskar

Don't miss the point -- the focus is not on the track -- it is on the surrounding structures. They are as eye-catching as the track is boring.

Tilke's tracks are photogenic and have some structures that look great on TV. The racing? Purely secondary. It's all about the money. Bernie would organize goat races if he could get more money for them.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill