USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
freedom_honda

Re: USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

the Americans still got money to go racing?
who will be driving? Barack Obama's two daughter?

Chaparral

Why couldnt a US based operation succeed theres no relevant reason for it not to - the technology in the US is more than capable and is second to none - the massive Charlotte motor sport fraternity have everything there to build the car and Penske is based there (Im sure they would be involved in some way given their experience in car building at all levels) - Cosworth is based in the US if they were looking for a independent power plant supply or you may use the Mercedes engine or maybe Ilmor can build them a motor. With the cost cuts that (are coming) i.e. $50 mill a year to run a team and standard components in a number of areas theres no need for a staff of 700-800 people maybe down to 100-150 personnel. I think AJ Foyt & Unser Jr are figureheads to help pull investors and help sell to the American public (those two names are instantly recognisable to the US motor sport fan on every level) - if this is a serious attempt then Id say they have a fair idea where the funding is coming from now to be on the grid in 2010. I actually like the fact that the operation would be far removed from the so called 'centre of F1 motor sport' in the UK - it allows a fresh approach not sullied by the everyday rubbish that is F1. As for drivers well theres plenty around with F1 experience even if it is just in a testing role or maybe they will go all American who knows. I'd love to see it happen
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

Jersey Tom

tk421 wrote:I'm just daydreaming here, since all we have is a fairly unimaginitive-looking logo, but I'd love to see a big shootout for the two seats: Scott Speed, Marco Andretti, Scott Sharp, Danica Patrick, Graham Rahal, Patrick Long, Buddy Rice, Carl Edwards, AJ Almendinger, Kyle Busch, Foyt IV, etc. In a couple years Alex Rossi (FBMW America Champ, FBMW World Final Winner) could take a shot at a seat. Anyway, :roll: I like the idea of a US Team, but we'll see where it goes...
I'd love to see AJ in F1, but I'm not sure he has the stuff for it. Definitely don't think Danica does.

Kyle Busch... I'd like to see him test in an open wheeler. Maybe Jimmy Johnson as well. Certainly Jeff Gordon. Don't think any would leave Sprint Cup though.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

tk421

Jersey Tom wrote: I'd love to see AJ in F1, but I'm not sure he has the stuff for it. Definitely don't think Danica does.Kyle Busch... I'd like to see him test in an open wheeler. Maybe Jimmy Johnson as well. Certainly Jeff Gordon. Don't think any would leave Sprint Cup though.
I don't think Jimmy or Jeff would leave NASCAR; that's why I left them out. As for the others, maybe they don't have the stuff for it, but it would be fun to see them all go head to head. That's kinda my point.

I agree with Chapparal: who's to say there's no way it can be pulled off? For every reason someone thinks it can't be done, there is also a reason it can be done. I can't think of a better use for the phrase "Time will tell."
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

pjobmathew

Interesting news . But i'll love to see something like Lamborghini or Porsche coming into F1 .

:D ur opinion ?

xpensive

On a little more serious note, sorry donskar, an interesting observation is that most open-wheeler chassis in CART or IRL has been built in Europe for the past twentyfive years, such as March, Lola, Reynard, Dallara, Penske, Galmer, Chaparral and so on.
There might be exceptions here and there (Eagle or Truesport?), but I wonder why this has always been the case?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

andartop

So we have Force India, we might get USF1, what's next? Go!KoreaF1? Maybe they should all go to A1GP? And what's with the G.I. Joe logo? I really really miss teams like Jordan and Arrows... Hope at least I won't live to see a religion (any) sponsored F1 team!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Scania

andartop wrote:So we have Force India, we might get USF1, what's next? Go!KoreaF1? Maybe they should all go to A1GP? And what's with the G.I. Joe logo? I really really miss teams like Jordan and Arrows... Hope at least I won't live to see a religion (any) sponsored F1 team!
CCWS have Team AUS, F1 Power Booat have Team CHina & Team Switzerland. So I don't think it is a breaking news...

MattF1

andartop wrote:So we have Force India, we might get USF1, what's next? Go!KoreaF1? Maybe they should all go to A1GP? And what's with the G.I. Joe logo? I really really miss teams like Jordan and Arrows... Hope at least I won't live to see a religion (any) sponsored F1 team!
Scuderia Italia?

xpensive

Prost-Peugeot?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

monkeyboy1976

I'll beleive when cars are on the grid.

CMSMJ1

monkeyboy1976 wrote:I'll beleive when cars are on the grid.

I agree. Nothing against the idea but it seems a little strange that with the lack of money knocking about that someone is too daft to buy up an already working, once winning and available for dirt cheap, Honda team.

Buy the rights, the chassis etc and no $48 bond (although I was sure this had been dropped?)

There are no cutting edge drivers from the USA out adn about at the moment in open wheel racing so I would doubt any of them have a valid superlicence...
All that said - It would be good to see.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Scuderia_Russ

Conceptual wrote:Yes, but in the next 2 years, there will be ALOT of unemployed talent coming from the F1 teams, so this may be an employment opportunity for them?
Exactly. It's just the exchange rate that will kill them if they go over there.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Chaparral

tk421 wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote: I'd love to see AJ in F1, but I'm not sure he has the stuff for it. Definitely don't think Danica does.Kyle Busch... I'd like to see him test in an open wheeler. Maybe Jimmy Johnson as well. Certainly Jeff Gordon. Don't think any would leave Sprint Cup though.
I don't think Jimmy or Jeff would leave NASCAR; that's why I left them out. As for the others, maybe they don't have the stuff for it, but it would be fun to see them all go head to head. That's kinda my point.

I agree with Chapparal: who's to say there's no way it can be pulled off? For every reason someone thinks it can't be done, there is also a reason it can be done. I can't think of a better use for the phrase "Time will tell."
One American open wheeler guy that has impressed me over the last couple of years is the A1GP guy Jonathan Summerton - he's the real deal in (and) out of the car - young and quick but with a racers head - I'd think he would make a good apprentice with the potential to equal what Vettel is doing...................................big call but he's caught my eye in the few A1GP races Ive caught. :)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

F1LOCO

Yes, Summerton is by far the best US driver for the seat. Heck, he was faster than Buemi in F3. Why in the world would they choose a NASCAR or INDY driver who drives in circles for an open wheel road series? Summerton got screwed out of the A1 seat b/c Andretti wanted Marco in a seat, so he bought out the team. Besides, Summerton is of correct age for F1 entry - 20, soon to be 21.