2009 Testing - March (Jerez & Barcelona)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JamesS

Re: March Testing Thread 2009 (Jerez & Barcelona)

mcdenife wrote:So question, have they really been in trouble or have they so far been testing various things and components but in isolation which makes it difficult for onlookers, armchair analysts/aerodynamicists/engineers/teambosses and all other pundits to judge anything without knowing exactly whats been tested.
Ron Dennis suggested it was their strategy to be as late as possible in finalising their car for Melbourne. So there is an element of truth in that.

We're far from any firm conclusions on the cars pace, I for one cannot wait for the first race. I am foaming at the mouth just thinking about it.

Vasco

Hmmm, this is not such a great time from Mclaren especially if it was a quali run and with no Renault/BrawnGP as a reference.

Lets see if they can break into the mid 1:17s tomorrow, then that would look better.

myurr

Vasco wrote:Hmmm, this is not such a great time from Mclaren especially if it was a quali run and with no Renault/BrawnGP as a reference.

Lets see if they can break into the mid 1:17s tomorrow, then that would look better.
Erm, how many teams have broken into the 1:17's? Everyone was applauding when Alonso did a 1:18.3.

It's a good and competitive time from the McLaren rather than blistering like the Brawn. I think they're in much better shape now, and with their rate of development they should be podium contenders in Melbourne and back at the sharp end when we return to the European rounds.

Roland Ehnström

Looks to me like McLaren are a little less than one second off the pace now, which is an improvement from last week. But I still predict them to be in the mid-field in Melbourne, fighting with Renault and Red Bull while Brawn, BMW, Ferrari and possibly Toyota and Williams dice it out for the win.

...could actually be an entertaining mid-field scrap between Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel, perhaps the three fastest drivers in the field.

Conceptual

myurr wrote:
timbo wrote:
axle wrote:Must have finally stuck on some decent parts!

Faster than Renault have managed...
But slower than Williams.
Different days, different conditions, etc. etc.

But the McLaren has definitely been looking better in the last couple of days. I think they've dragged themselves towards the front of the chasing pack, with Brawn and possibly Ferrari and/or BMW cleanly ahead. Hopefully that means that with a good drive and strategy they can aim at podium finishes.

I'm still hopeful though of further parts being brought to the car for the Friday test before the Australian GP that will drag them up to at least Ferrari / BMW level. I think Brawn may be out of reach until Europe though.

Time will tell!
Who cares about podiums anymore? As Islamatron says, "It's only about winning, baby!"

Or some such nonsense...

ISLAMATRON

Last edited by Steven on 20 Mar 2009, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stick to the topic please

allan

k i dont know if this has been mentioned before, but is that a T wing on the renault?
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... catID=4171
another shot:

what's up with that? thought it was illegal

timbo

allan wrote:k i dont know if this has been mentioned before, but is that a T wing on the renault?
another shot:

what's up with that? thought it was illegal
viewtopic.php?p=96746#p96746

vall

Nakajima did work on lap times today, so we don't really know how much Macca really improved. During the course of the test the times improved every day. On the 3rd day N. Piquet matched Alonso's time. Given that he has been constantly slower that Alonso before, this mean to me the track was much faster. It is unlikely that he found a second to match Alonso. So, today's times may not reflect the true picture.

ISLAMATRON

testing times never do

Miguel

Good evening,
vall wrote:Nakajima did work on lap times today, so we don't really know how much Macca really improved. During the course of the test the times improved every day. On the 3rd day N. Piquet matched Alonso's time. Given that he has been constantly slower that Alonso before, this mean to me the track was much faster. It is unlikely that he found a second to match Alonso. So, today's times may not reflect the true picture.
I say this as a Spanish alonso fan (and thus delusional, hater, unknowledgeable and all those apelatives): there is no way Piquet is 1s slower than Fernando. It's three tenths with the same setup in the worst case.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

vall

well, I think last year and the testing so far shows something else. I must say I did not check the test times quite accurately, but I do remember when following the tests that I noted Piquet was always much slower than Alonso, except for yesterday. May be wrong.

jwielage

I say this as a Spanish alonso fan (and thus delusional, hater, unknowledgeable and all those apelatives): there is no way Piquet is 1s slower than Fernando. It's three tenths with the same setup in the worst case.
Not sure what your logic is for this statement? That being said I do remember Alonso breaking into the top 5 when Piquet wasn't making it out of Q1 last year. The real difference is probably somewhere inbetween a full second and 3 tenths in my OPINION.

Also can we cool it with the term hater? It is all relative to one's own preference. Those who want to argue over their favorite driver should start a new topic, lets reserve this one for technical discussion.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

Miguel

vall wrote:well, I think last year and the testing so far shows something else. I must say I did not check the test times quite accurately, but I do remember when following the tests that I noted Piquet was always much slower than Alonso, except for yesterday. May be wrong.
Vall, you are totally right regarding the best times posted by both drivers. What I wanted to say is that 1s is in the realm of Alex Yoong vs Real F1 drivers. If that or my typing doesn't make any sense, blame the Franziskaner on my right hand.

Anyway I pretty much agree that it seems McLaren have really made a lot of progress in the last week in Jerez. I don't know if they've gained as much as 1s, but it does seem impressive. After all, Melbourne is only one week away.

PS: Please note, jwielage, that tast year, with anything other than a McLaren, Ferrari or Force India, 3 tenths could mean as much as 10 positions.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

vall

I used Alonso/Piquet and the other argument, to say that unless all teams are on track it is very difficult to say where the teams stand (I guess most people are aware but anyway). It is difficult to judge from the test anyway, but as the season start approaches the team will try to finalize their set-up, perhaps push the cars a little sometimes to get idea of the potential, etc.