FIA introduces £30m budget cap

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shaddock

FIA introduces £30m budget cap

WOW :!:

The FIA has announced that from 2010, teams will be allowed more technical freedom if they agree to a cost cap of $30million, to cover ‘expenditure of any kind’. Teams will also be free to instead continue running under the existing rules, which are to remain stable until 2012.

The teams that accept the cost cap will be granted technical freedoms in three main areas: a more aerodynamically efficient (but standard) under body; movable wings; and an engine which is not subject to a rev limit or a development freeze.

To ensure that the cost-capped cars have neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when compared to cars running to the existing rules, the FIA will retain the right to adjust elements of these freedoms.

Q/A with the Fuhrer here http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... /9026.html
Last edited by Shaddock on 17 Mar 2009, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

timbo

Re: FIA introduces £30m budget cap

Shaddock wrote:To ensure that the cost-capped cars have neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when compared to cars running to the existing rules, the FIA will retain the right to adjust elements of these freedoms.
Initial idea is great, but THAT just ruins it. So, we have a spec formula efficiently with FIA deciding whether it is advantage/disadvantage and how much it matters.
This is the STUPIDEST thing imaginable.
I'm not sad right now.
I'm depressed.

Shaddock

timbo wrote:
Shaddock wrote:To ensure that the cost-capped cars have neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when compared to cars running to the existing rules, the FIA will retain the right to adjust elements of these freedoms.
Initial idea is great, but THAT just ruins it. So, we have a spec formula efficiently with FIA deciding whether it is advantage/disadvantage and how much it matters.
I'm not sad right now.
I'm depressed.
It will just open the door to accusations of political interference from the FIA.

meves

Shaddock wrote:
timbo wrote:
I'm not sad right now.
I'm depressed.
It will just open the door to accusations of political interference from the FIA.
I agree, it's more of a mess than ever...

natef1

So..While good on the surface that crucial quote basically means the FIA will "top up" any underperforming cars that are within the £30m budget.

"Here you go Williams, have a free 70hp."

Shaddock

Yes, no matter how badly you design & build your car for under £30 mil, the FIA will artificially speed it up to keep up with the non capped cars.

timbo

Shaddock wrote:Yes, no matter how badly you design & build your car for under £30 mil, the FIA will artificially speed it up to keep up with the non capped cars.
Exactly. And the opposite also true - a small group of very bright engineering minds may design "new" Lotus 78, or MP4/4 or F2004 and FIA will come and say, ooops, cna't be that fast....

A black day in F1 history....

jddh1

I think a budget cap with development freedom is a much better way that all these regs. I think it's best because we can see some innovation. But it also needs to be across the field, not just selective teams.

But I'd also allow teams to spend a maximum of 5 million a YEAR on hospitality and other events that add that "glamour" to F1. We need that. I must be a different section of the budget, not included in the dev cap.

Shaddock

"The FIA has a lot of experience in performance adjustment and equivalence"

Renault’s mass damper by any chance?

Why do you need to develop any thing new and be innovative, when the FIA will just equal the performance across all the teams. “If the team is profitable, it can pay a dividend to its shareholders” Teams will build the cars cheaply, innovation costs money, and get the go faster stripes from the FIA.

vall

That sounds pretty bad indeed. There should be a budget cap for everyone, but bigger than that. what is this mess FIA can tweak the rules to equillize the field? That sounds bad

jddh1

Shaddock wrote:"The FIA has a lot of experience in performance adjustment and equivalence"

Renault’s mass damper by any chance?

Why do you need to develop any thing new and be innovative, when the FIA will just equal the performance across all the teams. “If the team is profitable, it can pay a dividend to its shareholders” Teams will build the cars cheaply, innovation costs money, and get the go faster stripes from the FIA.
that's why I think it needs to be for all teams. This is an All-or-Nothing type of rule. if it's selective, we'll turn into the WWF or racing.

vall

wondering what the team's reaction will be and if they will be so willing to sign the new Concorde agreement?

Conceptual

I am all for the anything-goes under the cap idea, but I must say that 50M-65M would be a more realistic budget cap.

And the FIA reserving the right to "interfere where they deem necessary" is utter horse ---.

Somebody, PLEASE, start a series that these muck suckers cannot contaminate!

ISLAMATRON

vall wrote:wondering what the team's reaction will be and if they will be so willing to sign the new Concorde agreement?

I think the teams have had their input into this... that is why it is optional.

Paul

Terrible idea, can't quite imagine the chaos it could bring to F1.

Although I can imagine team personell, including managers, living in motels and sticking to bread and water to save a buck for engine development. :wtf: