FIA introduces £30m budget cap

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Metar

Re: FIA introduces £30m budget cap

Screw that, they should stick their finger in the engine and ignite the damn thing by hand. :P

I often find it peculiar that everything that makes a car easier to drive turns it into a driver-aid, or that every driver-aid just makes cars easier to drive. Or that every driver-aid should be banned because "it's the pinnacle and F1 cars should be hard to drive".

ABS&TC, the mother-of-all-aids, are also useful as far as tyre-wear is concerned. Sequential boxes save the engines and clutch compared to a mis-shifting human, as well as massive time-gains. Active suspensions improve cornering performance. Active aerodynamics too. A car with lots of downforce isn't really "easy" to drive either, because on the one hand, you have more grip - but in return, you have to push harder and drive on the newer, faster cutting edge of grip, where your reaction-times are far more crucial than in a slower car, and any amount of jaw could delete your downforce in a split-second. They're not just driver-aids - they're introduced in order to make the car go faster.

At the same time, active aero is where it hits the limit as far as driver-concentration is concerned. With the bazillion controls they already have - engine- and brake-maps, gears, limiters and all - it was tough enough to adapt KERS, but I haven't yet heard of a driver using the wing-flap changes, though I heard the opposite. Perhaps it's just a bit too much to ask?

Shaddock

The teams could link the KERS button to the movable aero. Push the button you get a kick of KERS and low DF aero. If you run out of KERs, push the same button and get aero only. Either put a micoswitch on the brake pedal, or a button on the wheel to go to high DF settings with the wings in preperation to brake.

Scotracer

Shaddock wrote:The teams could link the KERS button to the movable aero. Push the button you get a kick of KERS and low DF aero. If you run out of KERs, push the same button and get aero only. Either put a micoswitch on the brake pedal, or a button on the wheel to go to high DF settings with the wings in preperation to brake.
That would be interesting when they exceed 300km/h - both the KERS would disengage and the high-downforce wing would kick in. It'd be like hitting the brakes :lol:

They should make it automatic - the drivers already say the front wing adjustment is too much to think about (and I fully appreciate that as they are getting battered by 5G). They could link it to steering angle and/or brake pedal travel.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Shaddock

Scotracer wrote:
Shaddock wrote:The teams could link the KERS button to the movable aero. Push the button you get a kick of KERS and low DF aero. If you run out of KERs, push the same button and get aero only. Either put a micoswitch on the brake pedal, or a button on the wheel to go to high DF settings with the wings in preperation to brake.
That would be interesting when they exceed 300km/h - both the KERS would disengage and the high-downforce wing would kick in. It'd be like hitting the brakes :lol:

They should make it automatic - the drivers already say the front wing adjustment is too much to think about (and I fully appreciate that as they are getting battered by 5G). They could link it to steering angle and/or brake pedal travel.
KERS might disengage but unless the driver presses the button they would stay in low DF mode.

Metar

Scotracer wrote:They should make it automatic - the drivers already say the front wing adjustment is too much to think about (and I fully appreciate that as they are getting battered by 5G). They could link it to steering angle and/or brake pedal travel.
That's what I'd want. Steering to the left would increase angle on the left sides, and vice-versa on the right, while braking would gradually increase wing angle everywhere? Perhaps even lift an extra flap or something that creates pure drag?

Actually, if that's allowed... That, with a switch for "straight line" to completely reduce downforce, looks like the optimal solution.

andartop

So, Ferrari and BMW, then Toyota, now Red Bull - along with Torro Rosso? - have threatened to quit.
If Renault plans to pull out anyway, as many people around here believe, that leaves only the three Mercedes powered Teams and Williams without their engine supplier..
So, maybe we will get to see a spec engine next year after all - the Mercedes one!
Also, lots of top drivers there up for grabs!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

WhiteBlue

It can realistically only be a compromise. The new teams need confirmation that they will be competitive and the budget will be affordable pretty soon. The existing teams need time to get the budget down. My guess is they will take one step to 150 mil next year and then to 50 mil 2011.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

When sadly the FIA seems to be run rather erratically with a very personal agenda these days, I think it depends to some extent on what mood MrM will be in when he's back in office from dealing with his family tragedy.

Who knows, as tragic as the situation can be, he might suspect foul-play once again?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar

AUTOSPORT understands that unless a deal can be hammered out between FIA president Max Mosley and the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) when they meet before the Monaco Grand Prix, then the five manufacturer-backed tams plus the two Red Bull outfits will not lodge their entries.

Williams, Brawn GP and Force India are therefore likely to be the only teams to enter the championship.
Trying hard to be optimistic, this COULD be good news. F1 needs massive, philosophical change from the top. Max and Bernie will NOT change UNTIL they can be made to feel pain. And that means losing money and power.

The manufacturers could afford to sit out a year. They (like Honda) might even see it as a benefit to leave, but they want an excuse, and now they have been given that excuse. The manufacturers can afford to sit out, but can Max and Bernie afford to run F1 with Williams, Brawn, and Force India and 3 or 4 hastily thrown together make weights? They would be breaking their contracts with the promoters and would be liable to legal action. I suppose the manufacturers would be breaking their contacts, too. But I don't think Bernie relishes going to court against the legal firepower of Toyota (down to only about $50-60 BILLION in the bank), Mercedes, Renault (Carlos Ghosn is definitely in Bernie's class as an in-fighter), and the other heavy weights. A court battle might air some things Bernie does NOT want made public.

I assume the outcome will be the usual very smelly compromise, but (IMHO) it is good for the long term future of F1 for the teams to stand up and fight back.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive

Unless of course, pushing the recalcitrant manufacturers out of F1 is the general idea by the EvilTwins?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar

xpensive wrote:Unless of course, pushing the recalcitrant manufacturers out of F1 is the general idea by the EvilTwins?
Totally illogical to push out the "names" that millions can identify with, so it's quite possible :roll: :
Ferrari's board of directors will discuss the Italian squad's future in Formula 1 tomorrow, the team announced on Monday.

Amid growing tension between the teams and the FIA over the introduction of a budget cap for 2010, Ferrari said in a statement on Monday its board will analyse the current situation and its future involvement in F1.
We can get great racing from "minor" teams (no insult meant to anyone) as long as the field is relatively equal, but it just will not be the same without McL, Ferrari, Renault, etc IMHO.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

donskar wrote:
xpensive wrote:Unless of course, pushing the recalcitrant manufacturers out of F1 is the general idea by the EvilTwins?
Totally illogical to push out the "names" that millions can identify with, so it's quite possible :roll: .
I would support that reasoning. Neither FIA nor FOM have an interest to push manufacturers out. FOM probably a lot less than the FIA. The main issue is to denie the traditional rich teams an advantage that will push more and more competitors into bankcruptcy. That has been an objective for many years.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

jonathan189

Regardless of whether this quite literally madcap scheme goes through, I wonder how long F1 can continue with Mosley in charge. Naturally he will be in a distressed state of mind after his recent tragedy, but if the result is that he completely destroys F1 by driving out nearly all the current teams then no one wins.

snowmansion

As said before, Mosley wasn't to clever by saying F1 could do without ferrari.
But ok all the private teams have to stay in racing because that is their way of living. For the fabric teams (toyota)they can do without i think.
But its quite simple why they threat to leave the F1, there afraid of losing to new competitors who can test and try as much as they want. But it is a shame if Red Bull, Toyota and Ferrari will leave. But it will not happen i'm sure..

timbo

snowmansion wrote:But it will not happen i'm sure..
Thing is if MM is too sure about that too it well MAY happen.