Martin Brundle: "Jenson Button is the most complete driver"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: Martin Brundle: "Jenson Button is the most complete driver"

mike wrote:if button is the most complete driver, then why didnt great teams such as Mclaren, Ferrari and co pick him
Maybe because he ended up selling his soul to BAR/Honda after their contractual disputes with Williams in both 2004 and 2005 ...
Wikipedia wrote:Despite his success with BAR, on 5 August 2004 Button revealed he had signed for Williams for the next two years, sparking a controversial contract dispute. An apparent loophole in his BAR contract permitted him to leave if Honda's commitment to the team was in any doubt.

BAR boss David Richards fought to keep his driver, though Frank Williams maintained that the switch was entirely legal. The FIA Contract Recognition Board (CRB) held a hearing on 16 October in Milan, Italy, to determine Button's 2005 status, concluding that he was contracted to BAR-Honda for the 2005 season.
Wikipedia wrote:In 2005 Button again found himself the subject of contractual controversy. Despite having signed a contract to drive for the Williams team for 2006 he judged the likely prospects for that team to have declined, as their engine suppliers BMW had purchased the Sauber team and were to stop supplying engines to Williams. Frank Williams was adamant that the contract must be honoured despite Button claiming that circumstances had changed and he had a right to remain at BAR.

On 21 September 2005, BAR confirmed that Button would once again drive for them in 2006 (having bought out his contract from Williams for a reported $30m,) where he would partner ex-Ferrari driver Rubens Barrichello.
And the rest is history ...

After that fiasco, it's hard for me to believe that any other team would think his signature on paper is worth any more than it's resale value on eBay ;)
Last edited by gridwalker on 27 May 2009, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

richard_leeds wrote:Yes, Button is & has the most complete package at the moment. Remember this is a team sport up to the start line, then an individual sport on the track. He has the best car and a great team that collectivly gets the set up correct (ie Barichello's contribution).

- He can get the car faster around the track than his team mate or any other driver on the grid.
- He makes least mistakes (none?)
- He makes decisive moves that stick
- He makes his tyres last (partly the car, but remember that Barichello has dropped time because he is harder on his tryes)
- He out qualifies his team mate
- He can pull out a fast lap when needed and conserve at other times (no ice cream breaks for him!)
- His steering wheel barely seems to move (Others seem to be constantly spinnging theirs)
- He doesn't do a banzai crash into others when in line for podium finish
- He doesn't eat ice creams when he should working
- He doesn't threaten to blackmail his team when he's not winning
- He doesn't do figure skating impressions in the wet
- He doesn't end every sentance with "for sure"
- He took a pay cut AND pays for the costs of his personal team (dad & physio)
- He can run along the pit straight after a race (remember the Mansell hobble to the podium?)
- He has old fashioned boyish enthusiasm for racing
- He is a jolly nice chap

Unfortunately one of the above satements is false for sure.
I agree with this but also have to point out to others Jenson's 2004 run with BAR, where he pretty much provided the only challenge to whats his name, that German. So he has been in situations under pressure. For several seasons, being the Last Best Hope for the UK is probably pressure enough by itself.

At the same time, people also forget that Button also had moments of capriciousness when choosing teams. Remember the BAR > Williams > BAR ridiculousness? The only difference there with Alonso is that Button eventually settled down with Honda, the team that has always worshipped him in the first place. Why would you ever want to go anywhere else?

I'm sure that Alonso might be regretting not joining Honda, if that was actually real. But I'd rather see him in a midfield or a Row 2 car. We've already seen what he can do with the fastest car, putting himself up there with the best. It would be almost tedious to see him aim for hoarding empty, meaningless trophies like a certain motorcycle driver. The only thing left for him to do is to win the WDC with a bad car. I can't remember the last year someone has done that

Don't get me wrong though, Button is driving very well. But right now the biggest factors that make sense to me are obviously the DDD, the Brawn supremacy, but also the tire-gap rule. I'm guessing that uniquely favors Button's driving style compared to most others.

PlatinumZealot

To me a Button basher originally.. I have more respect for him now..

BUTTON IS DRIVING LIKE A WORLD CHAMPION!
(did i just say that?)

He is not the Best.. But his intelligence is definitely way above average for a driver. In Monaco, the way he mastered the super soft tyres to make them last, was impressive. I give him ratings; others like Vettel were just destroying them by the second.. There is obviously something there in that head of his that separates him.

I am less of a Button Basher now. I have to give him credit. The man is consistent. He got the car and he is making the best of it. He has yet to make a mistake.

Most complete Driver... No.. but almost.

JENSON BUTTON
DRIVING LIKE A REAL CHAMPION.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

natef1
natef1

gridwalker wrote: I wonder how many children actually use the kid's commentary service ... I've been watching F1 since I was 7 years old and I always wanted to know more about the cars than we were told by the commentators.

I don't think I'd have continued watching the sport if the commentary was pitched at a lower level than it was already ... Despite this, the enthusiasm, passion and general excitement displayed by Murray Walker helped draw me into the show.

Martin Brundle always seems a little dry and out of touch to me, so a dumbed down version would drive me insane!

Even today, I find some aspects of the commentary quite infuriating : the way the DDDs were discussed (especially the way that Eddie Jordan constantly referred to the non-DDD teams as though they had no diffusers at all) is a prime example of the pundits stretching out a "technical" debate for the public without being able to adequately explain the differences in design philosophies.

Mass broadcasting often requires the program makers to assume an approach aimed at the lowest common denominator, to attract the largest possible demographic, but digital channels (if properly utilised) can change all of that.

Personally, I think that we should pitch the BBC for a red-button technical commentary : they have 3 already (5-Live, Dumb & Dumber) so why can't they have a commentary which assumes that the viewer is of above average intelligence? Even as a child, I'd have found it fascinating.

I'm sure it would make processional races more interesting & could help educate the casual fan beyond the bland generalities that passes for commentary at the moment.

Just my tuppence worth.

P.S.
To remain on-topic : Martin Brundle ... Boo, hiss ... ;)
Very well said =D>

The whole coverage of double decker diffusers (I am using the full term :wink: ), was incredibly annoying.

I think it was one of the Sports news people (his name is Dan Walker I believe), that summed it up best (or worst!) ;

"Right, then on to Formula 1. Now this week, we've all learnt a new word, haven't we? Diffuser. Why do we know about this? Well, it's because some teams within F1 have been using one..." I'm paraphrasing slightly but definitely, the first section is accurate.

There was a general assumption that a diffuser (oo, spangly new word!!) was somehow some kind of "jet engine" that these teams had strapped to the backs of their cars, and that only these 3 teams actually had one.

But not once, not once, could someone learn why they were thought to be illegal, or how they worked. We got a very brief description of a diffuser from the excellent Mike Gascgoyne (they should REALLY get him onboard instead of EJ) during the main race weekend, but nothing else..

Anyway back on topic ; I had almost completely forgotten about Button's contractual problems! Wow. If anything that proves he has come a long way not only in his driving but his attitude and decisions off track. I wonder whether he now feels vindicated by staying at Honda/Brawn. I guess he must, but on another hand, he might still feel that a longer-term future might've been better elsewhere.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Washngo wrote:
kilcoo316 wrote:
"Jenson Button is the most complete driver on the F1 grid"
Did you ever hear such rubbish.
well, if you are going to start a thread, at least quote the man properly.

What MB said was: Jenson Button proved, with his fifth victory of the season in Monaco, that he is the most complete driver on the Formula 1 grid at the moment.
What difference does that make?

Has Alonso upped sticks and left F1?

Or Hamilton?

Or Vettel?

All 3 are better than Button. Cases could be made for a considerable number of other drivers being better as well.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

captainmorgan wrote:I agree with this but also have to point out to others Jenson's 2004 run with BAR, where he pretty much provided the only challenge to whats his name, that German.
2004?

The year Raikkonen won in a McLaren, Montoya won in a Williams and Trulli won in a Renault...

All 3 cars being slower than Button's BAR Honda over the course of the year but the drivers still managing to win?

That year?

Can anyone say on here with a straight face that Alonso, Hamilton, that german, or our new German (Vettel) would not have managed to win a race in that BAR?

Of course not.

Button = mediocre.

gridwalker
gridwalker

kilcoo316 wrote:
captainmorgan wrote:I agree with this but also have to point out to others Jenson's 2004 run with BAR, where he pretty much provided the only challenge to whats his name, that German.
2004?

The year Raikkonen won in a McLaren, Montoya won in a Williams and Trulli won in a Renault...

All 3 cars being slower than Button's BAR Honda over the course of the year but the drivers still managing to win?

That year?

Can anyone say on here with a straight face that Alonso, Hamilton, that german, or our new German (Vettel) would not have managed to win a race in that BAR?

Of course not.

Button = mediocre.
I have memories of Button Qualifying well, before continually dropping back and having to fight a rearguard action against the drivers behind him ... it kinda remids me of someone else still on the grid ...

I wonder how well Trulli would be doing in the Brawn ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Giblet
Giblet

I think we can agree that some people don't think button is the best, and we will never be sure until he has the sane car as his rivals. Everything else is just speculation. No more button threads, three is enough.

We are starting to sound like kids arguing over who's dad is better.
Before I do anything I ask myself โ€œWould an idiot do that?โ€ And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andartop
andartop

.. And since this thread was always destined to end abruptly and somehow inconclusively, I have to post a link to a video I can't shake off my head since I first read the original post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLESpHrtvxs
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

mortigitempo
mortigitempo

kilcoo316 wrote: What difference does that make?

Or Hamilton?

Or Vettel?

All 3 are better than Button. Cases could be made for a considerable number of other drivers being better as well.
Sorry, but Vettel currently better than Button. That's just wishful thinking. I like Vettel, and he's certainly fast, but he's also making the kind of mistakes you'd expect of someone with his experience levels. I don't doubt he'll end up a superstar, but he should have made more of the opportunities he's had this season given his raw pace.

As should Button in 2004. But the question is how has Button performed this season, and results speak for themselves. Perhaps not the most complete driver on the grid, but he basically hasn't put a foot wrong this season, whilst displaying championship winning pace - it's totally unfair to call the current Jenson Button mediocre.

De Jokke

mortigitempo wrote:
kilcoo316 wrote: What difference does that make?

Or Hamilton?

Or Vettel?

Sorry, but Vettel currently better than Button. That's just wishful thinking. I like Vettel, and he's certainly fast, but he's also making the kind of mistakes you'd expect of someone with his experience levels. I don't doubt he'll end up a superstar, but he should have made more of the opportunities he's had this season given his raw pace.

As should Button in 2004. But the question is how has Button performed this season, and results speak for themselves. Perhaps not the most complete driver on the grid, but he basically hasn't put a foot wrong this season, whilst displaying championship winning pace - it's totally unfair to call the current Jenson Button mediocre.
Vettel is better, he won twice (pole and win) with a non top-car (str and rbr). Button hasn't done that...

Button drives flawless at the moment, congrats to him but that doesn't make him the top driver that brundle is describing him as. [-X
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Giblet
Giblet

Some people can't accept that people can improve, and become better all the time.

They keep spouting fats about who beat him SIX seasons ago, like that info carries any weight at all.

Even Ross Brawn, who has worked with that German guy, says that Ferrari made a mistake not considering Jenson in the past.

JB is kicking ass, and taking names this season. THis season, in this car, he is the best right now.

There are kinds of maybe's, but the facts have Jenson on top of his game this year, and it is not debatable.

You can tell us who you think is better, but right now, Button is putting up the numbers that more "complete" drivers are not.

Some people on this board can't just leave things alone at a stated opinion, but seem to feel the need to change others opinions. You are welcome to think of Jenson as mediocre, when all logic and data point the other way. Previous yeras and previous teammates have NOTHING to do with how he is driving right now.

I used to suck at pool fpor years.. suck, suck suck. Then one day, "I got it". All of a sudden all the practice fell into place, and I was better then all my friends. That confidence kept me kicking at them after it clicked to.

Sometimes things click, and Jenson has clicked this year. Sorry, it's true.
Before I do anything I ask myself โ€œWould an idiot do that?โ€ And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

De Jokke

Giblet wrote:Some people can't accept that people can improve, and become better all the time.

They keep spouting fats about who beat him SIX seasons ago, like that info carries any weight at all.

Even Ross Brawn, who has worked with that German guy, says that Ferrari made a mistake not considering Jenson in the past.

JB is kicking ass, and taking names this season. THis season, in this car, he is the best right now.

There are kinds of maybe's, but the facts have Jenson on top of his game this year, and it is not debatable.

You can tell us who you think is better, but right now, Button is putting up the numbers that more "complete" drivers are not.

Some people on this board can't just leave things alone at a stated opinion, but seem to feel the need to change others opinions. You are welcome to think of Jenson as mediocre, when all logic and data point the other way. Previous yeras and previous teammates have NOTHING to do with how he is driving right now.

I used to suck at pool fpor years.. suck, suck suck. Then one day, "I got it". All of a sudden all the practice fell into place, and I was better then all my friends. That confidence kept me kicking at them after it clicked to.

Sometimes things click, and Jenson has clicked this year. Sorry, it's true.
So for example a driver who doesn't win this year anymore but became champion last year (hamilton) or raikkonen the year before are suddenly bad? 'Cause that is what your logic appoints.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Giblet
Giblet

No.

I never said other drivers got worse. You implied that, just now, by using "logic".

"There are only two kinds of people in this world, those who like green cabbage, and those who like red."

See, i just used "logic" to show that you must in fact like green or red cabbage, but you may hate cabbage all together. Maybe you despise all leafy vegetables. Maybe you wear a cabbage suit all day every day.

I said Jenson got better. Other years don't matter, this season, this car, Jenson Button is #1 right now.

PlatinumZealot

Right now.

Jenson Button..

Is..

Better than Vettel.

Some people are smoking Kool Aid to think otherwise.. Vettel is TALENTED like everyone else.. but I don't think he is better than Button. He has a good car and he does he Job SOMETIMES* But he hasn't really shown me anything special to separate him from say Webber, who is an OK driver.

We saw the difference between expertise of Button and Vettel in Monaco. Vettel's noobness is still there, he needs more experience before we can class him as being better than Button.
Look at how many mistakes Button has made from the start of the season.. ZERO.

I am not a Button fan but we have to look at things as they are. Barichello is certainly an above average driver and right now he just can not outdo Button for a full race. So it is safe to conclude that Button is better than Barichello so far. Button is definitely up there this season.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™