So what happened to the new teams?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Washngo
Washngo

Re: So what happened to the new teams?

Conceptual wrote:I think that all entrants will be granted.
Rule 13.6 No more than 26 cars will be admitted to the Championship, two being entered by each competitor.

natef1
natef1

Yes, I know there are only 26 slots available.. But surely, if these teams show enough interest, they wouldn't just turn them down? I don't know. I guess 26 would be good. But 30 would be fantastic.

gridwalker
gridwalker

natef1 wrote:Yes, I know there are only 26 slots available.. But surely, if these teams show enough interest, they wouldn't just turn them down? I don't know. I guess 26 would be good. But 30 would be fantastic.
It's a matter of logistics : Prequalifying was back in the days with much smaller teams, smaller motorhomes, fewer media representatives, etc ...

No matter how nice it may be for the fans to go back to the days of prequalifying, it doesn't mean it'd be any easier to fit everyone into the paddock.

I don't see how it would be feasible to run a modern 15 team GP at monaco (the one race that seems to have a guaranteed slot on the calendar) : the teams say it's cramped enough there as it is!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

modbaraban
modbaraban

gridwalker wrote:I don't see how it would be feasible to run a modern 15 team GP at monaco (the one race that seems to have a guaranteed slot on the calendar) : the teams say it's cramped enough there as it is!
It's not cramped. It's too comfortable compared to 200+ cars in the Nurburgring pits :P

ISLAMATRON

hold pre qual on friday, only the Gp2 cars run that day anyway

modbaraban
modbaraban

I can't see any team spending 100m (or even 40m) a year, traveling around the world not being sure if they actually get on the grid. That's just not going to happen.

ISLAMATRON

most would quit after the second event they failed to qualify for... just like back in the day. The only problem with all teams being given a shot to qual at the start of the season is that it starts with several fly away races. MAybe there should be a shoot out a couple weeks before Australia at a European track.

just think if they picked 3 teams out of the 5 or so who sign up and 1 or 2 of those teams are way off the pace whereas the other 3 teams not picked never got a chance to produce a competitive car.

Brawn didnt look so certain to compete this year but look at the car they turned out.

Or what if 1 team doesnt have a great car but an incredible young driver... we would lose on seeing that young talant.

Conceptual
Conceptual

That is why I asked about the regulations ammendment.

Does anyone know for sure how the published 2010 regs will be ammended?

I think I'll go check it out right now.....

Washngo
Washngo

Conceptual wrote:That is why I asked about the regulations ammendment.

Does anyone know for sure how the published 2010 regs will be ammended?

I think I'll go check it out right now.....
Well, all the FOTA teams have signed up on the condition the 2010 regs are re-written (or at least reverted to their 2009 format).

We await Max's response, but presumably, I'm guessing they wont bother re-writing the regs until all the politicking and debate has been settled between FOTA and FIA.

Dukeage
Dukeage

I'd imagine the only technical regulations changes that would stay are narrower front tyres (which Bridgestone are lobbying for but would make the cars oversteer less, which we don't want) and the ban on refuelling. The proposed bodywork changes will probably go through as they have been on the table for ages.

WhiteBlue

The regs just stay as they are and you just strike all the extras for the capped teams.

This discussion about more than 13 teams is completely unconnected to the real world. Nobody from FOTA, FIA or FOM ever talked about more than 13 teams. The FIA specifically told the press that they would select three entrants if all teams applied for 2010.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Now this debacle is over for now, I recon that the teams for next year will be:

Brawn-Mercedes (Button/Senna)
Red Bull-Renault (Vettel/Webber)
Ferarri (Massa/Alonso)
Toyota (Trulli/Glock)
McLaren-Mercedes (Hamilton/Sutil)
Renault (Kovalinenn/Grosjean)
Williams-Cosworth (Heidfeld/Hulkenberg)
STR-Ferrari (Buemi/Piquet)
Force India-Mercedes (Liuzzi/Di Resta)
BMW Sauber (Rosberg/Kubica)
Prodrive-Cosworth (Davidson/Paffet)
USGPE-Cosworth (Andretti/Patrick)
LOLA-Cosworth (Sato/Di Grasi)

Im pretty confedent now thats gonna be what its gonna be, with more or less those drivers, maybes one or two may be wrong, but thats the way i see it.

sticky667
sticky667

according to Peter Windsor in Monaco, they have "two young americans"

danica is not young and hardly skilled.

Professor
Professor

How about Jon Summerton and Alex Rossi?

Callum

How about J.Villneuve? I thought he dropped quite a big hint to Martin Brundel on the grid at Monaco..