Massa crashes after being hit by heave spring

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Hungarian GP 2009

Tomba wrote:Massa's helmet afte the crash:

Let's hope his eye is not damaged, because this helmet doesn't look too good anymore. Especially the ripped off visor worries me.

Good Lord that is scary, hope he is fully ok. Are open cockpits soon to be on the way out? How much trouble would a fighter jet style cockpit be to incorperate?

sunny1304

i want to ask that for the massa's incident is there any chance that brwan would face any kind of penalty ??

timbo

ISLAMATRON wrote:It will definatly mean something if he has a relatively realistic fuel load onboard, or make a 3 stop strategy work.
Still it means that the car has improved and that Alonso is in good shape. We've yet to see Friday Champion on pole, aren't we?

Steven
Owner

sunny1304 wrote:i want to ask that for the massa's incident is there any chance that brwan would face any kind of penalty ??
I don't think so, it was a mechanical failure of the heave sprint which I think is updated for this race. The last think Brawn GP want is their cars to break down, let alone see others get hurt by that.

It was very unfortunate, but that is what happens in racing. Let's hope Felipe is ok, because that image of his helmet doesn't bode well for me.

djos

Tomba wrote:Massa's helmet afte the crash:

Let's hope his eye is not damaged, because this helmet doesn't look too good anymore. Especially the ripped off visor worries me.
Owww, that looks awful - he wont be driving to tomorrow I think!

Im just glad he's ok as I thought we where going to have F1's first fatality since Ayrton. [-o< You could actually see the green mark his helmet left on the rubber belt holding the tyres together! :o
Last edited by djos on 25 Jul 2009, 16:51, edited 2 times in total.
"In downforce we trust"

timbo

ISLAMATRON wrote:Good Lord that is scary, hope he is fully ok. Are open cockpits soon to be on the way out? How much trouble would a fighter jet style cockpit be to incorperate?
Well, in Massa's case it IS a freak accident. Not much can be improved really except the cockpit. However, I don't think canopy is automatically safer - there's possibility of it locking and preventing driver from escaping the car, esp in upside down position.
IMHO raced windshield and drag-racer style roll protection is safest of all.

Principessa

Other picture of Massa after crash and news can be found here :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/12939

ISLAMATRON

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Good Lord that is scary, hope he is fully ok. Are open cockpits soon to be on the way out? How much trouble would a fighter jet style cockpit be to incorperate?
Well, in Massa's case it IS a freak accident. Not much can be improved really except the cockpit. However, I don't think canopy is automatically safer - there's possibility of it locking and preventing driver from escaping the car, esp in upside down position.
IMHO raced windshield and drag-racer style roll protection is safest of all.
We should start a separate thread about this, it would be interesting to get others ideas, I think it can be done.

jonathan189

timbo wrote:Well, in Massa's case it IS a freak accident.
I heard enough of this stuff after the Surtees accident... look, accidents in motor racing are always "freak", but that does not mean that the risks can't be reduced.

The FIA needs to seriously consider shielded cockpits. Yes, they could potentially trap drivers inside the car, but do we not now have the technology to make them safe? It just needs a failsafe way for the marshalls to access the driver after an accident.

I wish the teams innovated regarding safety like they innovate when it comes to diffusers.

djos

jonathan189 wrote: I heard enough of this stuff after the Surtees accident... look, accidents in motor racing are always "freak", but that does not mean that the risks can't be reduced.

The FIA needs to seriously consider shielded cockpits. Yes, they could potentially trap drivers inside the car, but do we not now have the technology to make them safe? It just needs a failsafe way for the marshalls to access the driver after an accident.

I wish the teams innovated regarding safety like they innovate when it comes to diffusers.
Nomination: lamest Post of the Year! [-X
Last edited by djos on 25 Jul 2009, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

ISLAMATRON

explosive bolts like in fighter jet cockpits?

jonathan189

djos wrote:Nomination: lamest Post of the Year! [-X
Any reason? Or do you just disapprove of people trying to take all the fun of death out of F1?

JamesS

Wow that pic of Massa shows a very nasty injury.

IMO he won't be racing tomorrow.

djos

jonathan189 wrote:Any reason? Or do you just disapprove of people trying to take all the fun of death out of F1?
I think you need a large dose of realism mate! If you want covered cockpits there is a nice little series called the "le Mans" series you might be interested in.

Last edited by djos on 25 Jul 2009, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

jonathan189

Massa's injury doesn't look life threatening, but I hope his eye is okay. You can't race with an injured eye.