Massa crashes after being hit by heave spring

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard
Richard

Re: Massa crashes after being hit by heave spring

He does look very good after the fears reported by the doctors in the days after the crash. Certainly no sign of the neck brace you'd expect for the reported basal skull fracture (the injury that killed Roland Ratzenberger). Thank God for HANS.

Actually, its worth reading the HANS article on wiki for a sober reminder that motor sport is dangerous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device -- F1 introduced HANS in 2001 following a single basal skull fracture death in 1994. In NASCAR there were 4 deaths in a 14 month period up to Feb 2001. What is worrying is that many NASCAR drivers resisted the introduction of HANS until that 4th fatality.

To give some context on recovery from a depressed skull fracture (I think that's what Massa's has) , Petr Čech took 3 months to return to football (soccer) after a similar injury. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petr_%C4%8Cech#Head_injury

I hope Massa doesn't come back too soon. Possibly start to build himself up in winter testing.... although a cameo at Interlagos might be too tempting???

... but I wouldn't be surprised if headaches and poor vision keep him out until 2011!

jonathan189
jonathan189

djos

Diesel wrote: Image

There's an interview as well:-
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/08/ ... ipe-massa/
Jezuz, he is a very lucky boy that the impact wasn't directly on his eyeball!!!
"In downforce we trust"

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Remember he had an operation, alot of what you are seeing will actually be where the incision was made to remove the bone fragments, the initial gash can be seen in the pictures at the start of this thread and is a bit smaller that what we can see in these pictures.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

First there was the accident itself, and then the critical first 24 hours when brain damage such as swelling or bleeding could have made this a dangerous situation. Now, Massa is stabilized, and his road to recovery begins. But first, he has to go home and do some healing. Then the doctors need to assess the brain for any damage. Then Massa goes on from there.
It's a great relief that Massa appears to be good shape, and I didn't observe any signs such a slurring of words or memory confusion.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

andartop
andartop

I seriously doubt the doctors at Budapest would have released him so soon if they suspected brain damage. And I seriously doubt he would be getting on a plane today without any protection or support around his neck if the reported skull base fracture was anything serious.
I'm not being overly optimistic, but I just try to go by whatever we have confirmed. As I've been saying all along in this thread from the available confirmed information it appears Felipe's injuries were really not as bad as many feared. True, they could have been much much worse.
Even the swelling in the pictures and the video released today doesn't look that bad: you can get much worse from a wisdom tooth!
Here's hoping Felipe will be back at Interlagos and will win the race!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Callum

Diesel wrote:Image

"you should have seen the other guy" he says

hillman
hillman

Not too bad when you're expecting the worst. Go Felipe.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 645428.htm

xpensive
xpensive

Terribly ugly stitching though, where was this performed, anyone?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Terribly ugly stitching though, where was this performed, anyone?
well, yes, I thought so too, but I'd reserve my judgement before someone with medical background (preferably in surgery) comments on this.

jddh1

xpensive wrote:Terribly ugly stitching though, where was this performed, anyone?
I was gonna say the same thing.

Although the wound could've been wide open and swollen at the time, so we can't really know. I can foresee a second go at the stitching for Felipe.

andartop
andartop

It looks quite nice to me! Notice the quality of healing at the end closer to the ear.
This is the most commonly used and versatile technique (simple interupted), it's fairly easy to do, is quite strong, allows for adjustments during the procedure - in order to align the edges as close as possible - and is reportedly less likely to cause swelling and impair the blood circulation (which might cause necrosis of the soft tissues).
Of course he's going to have some plastic surgery as well at some point to reduce the scarring, but I wouldn't think it was a sloppy job.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

timd
timd

After all that i would want just a little scar.

The guys married now anyway so no need to worry about scareing the girls off :)

Miguel
Miguel

Good news from Marca. It seems Felipe has been released from the hospital one day earlier than expected. I don't know if he has any remaining injury or if his eyesight is as good as before, but he seems to be in really good condition.

BTW: I never read anywhere anything about basal skull fracture in Massa's accident.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

PlatinumZealot

FrankenMassa!

or

MassaStein!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏