Renault not racing at the Europe GP at Valencia

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Renault not racing at the Europe GP at Valencia

I'm just glad that wheel didnt hit Alonso or anyone else, but I think he should have pulled over much sooner, his race was already done/run... plus he could have disturbed the race by bringing out the safety car.

Penalty deserved, especially if the FIA ha directed him to pull over before the tire came off fully.

other thing, they need to ban those infernal wheel spats, too many have flown of already

fer200979

mx_tifosi wrote:Massa did stop and get the hose removed, all without leaving the pit lane. This event has nothing to do with either the Renault or Brawn incidents.

I don't even know why I'm debating this...
Ok lets stop these debate (you dont have to debate if not want to). You are right he does not leave the pit lane :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwJEYYjr28U

I actually find dangerous what hapens on 1:12 minute of the video and how fast he gets into the pit lane and how the car behind him has to break speed with a lot of people around. Similar to what Webber did today to Raikkonen

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwvCflzR ... re=related

I think it was not Ferrari's good year with pit stops :lol:

It's not aout Ferrari, Brawn, Renault or Macca. It's about the FIA equals decission for all of the teams. I think they don't play under the same rules....

ISLAMATRON

A statement issued by the stewards on Sunday night said that there had been multiple breaches of the regulations by the Renault team.

Stewards talked to Renault representatives twice after the race.

The statement said that Renault "knowingly released car no. 7 from the pitstop position without one of the retaining devices for the wheel-nuts being securely in position, this being an indication that the wheel itself may not have been properly secured."

It added that Renault, "being aware of this, failed to take any action to prevent the car from leaving the pitlane....failed to inform the driver of this problem or to advise him to take appropriate action given the circumstances, even though the driver contacted the team by radio believing he had a puncture."

It said that the team's actions had compromised safety in breach of Article 3.2 of the Sporting Regulations, and in breach of Article 23.1.i had released the car from the pits before it was safe to do so.
After reading that can the suspension be considered extreme? I think they fully deserved it.

Ray

ISLAMATRON wrote:
A statement issued by the stewards on Sunday night said that there had been multiple breaches of the regulations by the Renault team.

Stewards talked to Renault representatives twice after the race.

The statement said that Renault "knowingly released car no. 7 from the pitstop position without one of the retaining devices for the wheel-nuts being securely in position, this being an indication that the wheel itself may not have been properly secured."

It added that Renault, "being aware of this, failed to take any action to prevent the car from leaving the pitlane....failed to inform the driver of this problem or to advise him to take appropriate action given the circumstances, even though the driver contacted the team by radio believing he had a puncture."

It said that the team's actions had compromised safety in breach of Article 3.2 of the Sporting Regulations, and in breach of Article 23.1.i had released the car from the pits before it was safe to do so.
After reading that can the suspension be considered extreme? I think they fully deserved it.
I still say the same should be said of Brawn. They knowingly released a car onto the track with suspension problems that has been verified from the driver of the car and they were not penalized. Renault deserves this penalty, and I think Brawn does as well. Too bad this didn't happen like Heidfelds car last year I think. They did everything Renault did other than informing him, and the wheel didn't come off fortunately.

ISLAMATRON

reading that again, it seems so much more the teams fault than Alonso's so it would have been more just if they would allow the team to race but did not allow them to collect WCC points, and maybe a nice big fine on top of it.

Alonso still could have pulled off sooner, once you are a lap down F1 makes it impossible for you, just save the engine

modbaraban

Ray wrote:I still say the same should be said of Brawn. They knowingly released a car onto the track with suspension problems that has been verified from the driver of the car and they were not penalized.
No.
Barrichello wrote:it felt a bit strange
Feeling a bit strange and seeing a wheel shield rotating when the car moves away from the service area isn't the same thing. Not even nearly. Brawn didn't know what was wrong with the car. Not to mention that they didn't know something was going to fall off. It even felt okay enough to go for another fast lap.
Barrichello wrote:I still did an okay time through sector one, but when I went into Turn 3 I felt the rear collapse.
With the Renault case it was obvious that the lollopop man released the car while the mechanic was still working on the front right. It was easy to notice straight away before any replays, that the fairing started rotating as soon as the car moved. And if the Renault engineers are so slow and shortsighted they could at least order Alonso to slow down on the track to avoid the wheel coming off. EVERYONE who bothered to switch on the TV knew it was going to fall off.

I imagine Alonso should be furious now! :shock:

Ray

modbaraban wrote:
Barrichello wrote:it felt a bit strange
Feeling a bit strange and seeing a wheel shield rotating when the car moves away from the service area isn't the same thing. Not even nearly. Brawn didn't know what was wrong with the car. Not to mention that they didn't know something was going to fall off. It even felt okay enough to go for another fast lap.
Barrichello wrote:I still did an okay time through sector one, but when I went into Turn 3 I felt the rear collapse.
No. Out of context. This is the complete transcript.
Barichello wrote:This afternoon it felt a bit strange, vertically the car was moving a bit. And we suspected since the beginning of qualifying that it was starting to go. Eventually it went completely on that lap, because I had a lap of traffic which I had to abort and that lap, as soon as I braked for Turn 1, it was very, very bad. I still did an okay time through sector one, but when I went into Turn 3 I felt the rear collapse.
They knew something was up and chose not to check it sufficiently. How does the whole cap come off the damper, and it went unnoticed? Because sufficient checks were not made, and they released the car onto the track three time. If it had killed Massa when it hit him, we would all be thinking differently.

Plus a wheel shield does not always mean that they wheel nut isn't on all the way I don't think. They've had a rear wheel shield come off before and that wasn't due to a loose wheelnut. Ironically it was Massa who almost hit it.

The FOZ

Penalty is perhaps a bit on the harsh side, a suspended suspension and a big fine would have been more appropriate IMHO.

BUT IT IS JUST!

The difference between Brawn and Renault is simple.

With Brawn, there was absolutely no way of knowing exactly what the problem was in the rear end, and there certainly was no way of knowing that it would result in a spring coming loose. Think about it - this kind of thing happens ALL THE TIME. The car feels weird, but is still driveable, so the driver absolutely must try to bring the car home - and that's precisely what Rubens was doing. He'd abandoned his flying lap, and was headed home. The car was still driveable, and there was no probable hazard to Rubens, or anybody else. Period.

Renault had an issue that would result in imminent failure and a dangerous situation. The pit crew knew the retaining device wasn't installed properly. They released him anyhow. Alonso knew there was an issue right away, although in his defence, it could have been just a blown tire. In fact, if the team did not make him aware of the issue, and he was proceeding as though he had a flat tire, then nothing he did was terribly improper.

Which might be why 'Nando wasn't fined, or suspended, but rather, the team was. It was a bonehead move, and had to be treated as such.

Ray

The FOZ wrote:Penalty is perhaps a bit on the harsh side, a suspended suspension and a big fine would have been more appropriate IMHO.

BUT IT IS JUST!

The difference between Brawn and Renault is simple.

With Brawn, there was absolutely no way of knowing exactly what the problem was in the rear end, and there certainly was no way of knowing that it would result in a spring coming loose. Think about it - this kind of thing happens ALL THE TIME. The car feels weird, but is still driveable, so the driver absolutely must try to bring the car home - and that's precisely what Rubens was doing. He'd abandoned his flying lap, and was headed home. The car was still driveable, and there was no probable hazard to Rubens, or anybody else. Period.

Renault had an issue that would result in imminent failure and a dangerous situation. The pit crew knew the retaining device wasn't installed properly. They released him anyhow. Alonso knew there was an issue right away, although in his defence, it could have been just a blown tire. In fact, if the team did not make him aware of the issue, and he was proceeding as though he had a flat tire, then nothing he did was terribly improper.

Which might be why 'Nando wasn't fined, or suspended, but rather, the team was. It was a bonehead move, and had to be treated as such.
A suspension for the whole team is a suspension for both Alonso AND Piquet. Both of whom did no wrong, and in fact were penalized. Think it through. Brawn had a suspect rear suspension that they figured was going to fail, yet didn't do anything about it. And it failed. And it almost killed another competitor. What came off is irrelevant. It failed. They should be banned from that event. And again I will say, if it killed Massa all of you would change your tune.

EDIT Barichello 'abandoned' his flying lap because, not a direct quote but close, ' the car sank to the track and lost something like 20 mil of ride height.' It wasn't voluntary as you seem to believe. He only stopped and limped the car back because it failed and was touching the track. And it almost killed someone. I will repeat that until the end of days, don't care what anyone thinks.

dave34m

I cant agree with the comments about Brawn. If anything Red Bull were more at fault sending Vettel out again when he clearly had a problem and they really didnt do enough to see what the fault may have been, but I dont see that that that was so very wrong either. The renault penalty if deserved, it was clearly a very dangeous situation that could easliy have ended in multiple daeths to either drivers or spectators.

It was of course very bad timing to lose a wheel this week after the death last week but that doent make it any less serious.

It will interesting to see the outcome of the appeal.

djos

The penalty is obsurd and does not fit the crime!!

No team willingly releases their car with a loose wheel as it is counter productive! They should have been fined at the very most and the same for Brawn!

I sincerely hope Ari takes over the FIA and fixes "the system" - currently it is arbitary and seemingly politically motivated when assessing penalties.
"In downforce we trust"

Ray

dave34m wrote:I cant agree with the comments about Brawn. If anything Red Bull were more at fault sending Vettel out again when he clearly had a problem and they really didnt do enough to see what the fault may have been, but I dont see that that that was so very wrong either. The renault penalty if deserved, it was clearly a very dangeous situation that could easliy have ended in multiple daeths to either drivers or spectators.

It was of course very bad timing to lose a wheel this week after the death last week but that doent make it any less serious.

It will interesting to see the outcome of the appeal.
You can't seem to make the connection. You are saying that Renaults situation was dangerous and 'could have hurt someone.' BRAWN DID!!! He was damn near killed! What is so hard to understand about that?!

dave34m

It was a stupid stupid stupid mistake by the team. It was very dangerous and did i mention it was stupid.

Penalty well and truely deserved. IMO

dave34m

Did Brawn send a car out knowing that a part was going to fall off?

ISLAMATRON

did you guys even read the stewards decision? they did not penalise the team because of the mistake, they penalised them for not informing Alonso and allowing him to take proper precautions, even after he radioed in to them saying them he thinks he had a flat... read again