BMW to leave Formula One at end of 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: BMW to leave Formula One at end of 2009

If BMW actually got some of their investment money back, I'm certain that the Munich board are xtremely satisfied to have gotten out of this corrupt business in better shape than Honda did.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

raceman

xpensive wrote:If BMW actually got some of their investment money back, I'm certain that the Munich board are xtremely satisfied to have gotten out of this corrupt business in better shape than Honda did.
+1

right said buddy

King Six

So does anyone know around when we'll have a good idea of whether Sauber will be allowed to race as the 27th and 28th cars next season. I know not all the teams are confirmed for next season and to be honest we'd probably be lucky to have a 26 car grid next season, but if...

I'm guessing we won't really find out until much later. It's all a matter of first seeing if anyone pulls out...

gibells

Just a thought. Could the 'Q' in the mysterious Qadbak Investments be anything the do with the 'Q' in Quandt, the family that owns most of BMW?

gibells

:shock: Sheesh. Perhaps BMW will stay to hold it together.

Fil

Further rumours now by AMuS that a widely known American investor is back on the cards to buy the ex-BMW-Sauber team..
He was initially interested, but Qadbak was chosen by the BMW board.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

marcush.

one comes to the conclusion in automotive business fundamental decisions are taken by people not really knowing what they are doing.
It should be possible to try calling a bank before doing a deal of that magnitude?
And this after throwing away some cool millions of garanteed money from bernie instead of commiting and then selling...quite rediculous the scenario and obviously the guys at BMW deciding are do not earn whatever they get as salary for negotiating
such a deal then.
hopefully Peter Sauber can draw them out of the swamp still... but BMW seems not to be much help really...

ESPImperium

BMW should have done a Brawn with Sauber, given him the team for a €1 transaction, gave him the ammount needed to get the team running for 2010 (with Ferarri 056 powerplants) and to get them thrugh the 2010 season and cut there losses and let loose.

Then Peter Sauber could have signed the concorde aggreement and got the Toyota place on the grid.

Personally what they could have done is looked for a buyer for the team, and then given them engines for then next 3-5 years and gone back to being a engine supplier and not had the huge expenditure of running the team, leave that to others, whilst keeping a presence and brand exposure in the sport.

ringo

Why did sauber chose to use the ferrari engines though?
The BMW power plants were not so bad, i believe they could be second most powerful to the benz. BMW should have continued to supply engines.
For Sure!!

PNSD

I think its a disgrace the way Toyota and BMW have left.

Honda did an amazing thing and allowed the team to be saved using Honda money and they only forged a deal knowing the finanical future would be secure, knowing the jobs of many would be secure. Toyota and BMW have left the mess they created with little chance of finding a buyer.

Fil

PNSD wrote:I think its a disgrace the way Toyota and BMW have left.
BMW in particular. Its like they don't quite know what they want to do, just know they want out. They want to shut it down, like Toyota, but want the positive PR, like Honda. They've tried taking a middle ground and its actually resulted in the worst of both worlds!

Toyota have been brutally, efficiently, clinical; they're leaving, and they're shutting everything down. End of story.
ringo wrote:Why did sauber chose to use the ferrari engines though?
The BMW power plants were not so bad, i believe they could be second most powerful to the benz. BMW should have continued to supply engines.
BMW is shutting the engine plant in Germany. That is separate from the ex-Sauber F1 chassis/aero facility in Switzerland.

There's obviously too little exposure/too much risk as a sole engine supplier for the investment. Engines aren't seen to win races anymore - its the chassis or driver, but they are still seen to lose them.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).