Lola shows off 2010 car

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PNSD

Re: Lola shows off 2010 car

Im just amazed FOTA are talking 3 car teams when we have here a group with early design work done and clearly wanting to get into F1!

Give them a call!!!

axle

PNSD wrote:Im just amazed FOTA are talking 3 car teams when we have here a group with early design work done and clearly wanting to get into F1!

Give them a call!!!
Indeed - I'd say let all the teams that applied in and then do pre-qualifying :)
- Axle

xpensive

That's the way axle, I think they should allow for one car teams as well.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Belatti

Wasnt it nice to watch underdogs kill themself for a couple of spots in the back of the grid in those saturday mornings pre-qualy at the early 90s ???
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

xpensive

It was indeed gaucho! Who can forget the epic battles between, Onyx, Eurobrun, Osella, Andrea Moda and...Life Racing?

Bring it on!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

King Six

It's just a rough design for a 'new' team that's not even going to enter next years championship. I'm intrigued though, the cars for next season are going to need huge fuel tanks because of the refuelling ban. But to me the proportions of that car seem roughly the same as today's cars, I'd have thought that it'd be bigger in some form, perhaps the length/wheelbase or something to accommodate the massive tank.

Is there any topics on the fuel tank/refuelling ban for next season? It seems to be a little discussed fact despite its importance, I'd like to see what the pro's say about what it all means for next seasons cars.

mx_tifoso

King Six wrote:I'd have thought that it'd be bigger in some form, perhaps the length/wheelbase or something to accommodate the massive tank.
Isn't that what we thought about KERS as well?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bill shoe

Looks like an early 2009 F1 car. No double diffuser. No Red Bull type ultra-high nose with the U-shaped cross section. No super-low deck over the top of the transmission. This car as a base point would have been really outclassed by mid-2009 not to mention 2010. It looks like Lola has not been doing any design or wind tunnel work on this project for many months. Don't see any reason why one of the new teams would pay for the priviledge of using this design.

Afterburner

For me that monocoque it's a true copy of this years cars, nose and front wing are from f60, sidepods clearly Mp4-24, enginer cover and air intake similar to RedBull and rear wing and high monocoque similar to Brawn, at least they copy from the faster cars =D>

czt
czt

I would say the model as shown is about 12 months behind being a competitive package. I expect it was the initial model put into the tunnel (particularly as the article mentions 10 days of tunnel time - i'd imagine some broad concepts were evaluated in those 10 days).

Giblet

bill shoe wrote:Looks like an early 2009 F1 car. No double diffuser. No Red Bull type ultra-high nose with the U-shaped cross section. No super-low deck over the top of the transmission. This car as a base point would have been really outclassed by mid-2009 not to mention 2010. It looks like Lola has not been doing any design or wind tunnel work on this project for many months. Don't see any reason why one of the new teams would pay for the priviledge of using this design.
Good to see you can look at a scale test mule and understand it intimately :roll:

The design of the Red Bull works very well for the red bull, but it doesn't mean every team is going to show up with their nose next year.

As well, I don't think other teams see using the Lola chassis as a privilege to use, but as an easy way to get a race car design made by a long standing professional car design shop. If Lola can't use the design, sell it.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PNSD

I cant see why a RedBull nose is expected next year? A low nosed Brawn has won 7 of the 12 grand prix so far...

King Six

mx_tifosi wrote:
King Six wrote:I'd have thought that it'd be bigger in some form, perhaps the length/wheelbase or something to accommodate the massive tank.
Isn't that what we thought about KERS as well?
Is it?

I dunno, with something like KERS. You can understand that they might be able to cram it all in without significantly changing around the proportions, but with a fuel tank, it has to go somewhere, although I'm not quite sure how the current 09 fuel tanks are with relation to the rest of the car, so there might be still room for a larger tank still without changing much.... but I doubt it.

Surely for next season the fuel tanks will have to be about twice the size of the current ones. Especially since the cars are going to be so heavy in the beginning of races which'll impact that fuel economy even more. I can't wait to see how it all works out!

Isn't there a thread discussing all this fuel tank stuff, I wanna read up more to understand it all better #-o

Giblet

One interesting tidbit is that Williams will be consulting a large oil tanker ship constructor for help engineering the baffles in the extra large fuel tank to keep the fuel low and slosh resistant as it gets low.

Also, even title leading Brawn tested the Red Bull "Nostril Flares", a term I just came up with right now, that I'm surprised works so well with the whole bull thing, and I will use henceforth.... moving on....

....yeah Brawn tested them. But I thought they were there primarily as a higher suspension mounting point, and the small aero edge they give was a bonus. Doubt that a driver or on-track telemetry could see a + or - to that.

I doubt Brawn was able to tell if they did anything at all on track.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

bill shoe

PNSD wrote:I cant see why a RedBull nose is expected next year? A low nosed Brawn has won 7 of the 12 grand prix so far...
A reasonable question, and other comments show similar skepticism.

I base my nose assumption on the fact that several teams have been using scarce Friday practice sessions to try out Red Bull type bulges along the top of the nose. These bulges only exist to make the nose dimensionally legal when it has a U-shape cross-section on the underside. The non-RedBull teams that have been trying out the bulges are not actually running the U-section nose/monocoque, rather the test bulges on top are just non-structural add-ons to determine if the driver can get decent visibility over them. If several teams are using very valuable Friday practice time to try out driver visibility then I assume they have already found a clear and strong benefit from the U-shape nose in the wind tunnel.

Another assumption of mine relates to the lack of double deck diffuser. All teams in 2010 will have at least a double-diffuser, and the Lola model clearly shows an "early-2009" style single diffuser. Brawn won 7 of 12 races this year because they had this feature first/best and it took a while for others to catch up on creating and developing double diffusers.

Another trend during 2009 is that all cars have been keeping the volume over the transmission empty with low bodywork, or they have put large ducts there that vent the rear of the engine cover. This trend has become more clear over the season with updated aero packages, etc. The Lola model does not appear to do either approach to any large extent.

I don't know if this model is Lola's latest and greatest design work for F1, or if they have more up-to-date design concepts that they don't want to show. However, it really is possible to look at the pictures of the model and dismiss it as an outdated dead end.