Pirelli will take Bridgestone's place after 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Pirelli will take Bridgestone's place after 2010

This is a bit of food for thought: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/08/18/s ... ason-poll/

This could put Heidfeld in a prime seat to affect the development of the tyres in a way that just suits his driving style, allowing him to bring them to the perfect working temperature but allowing him to not wear them out.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

In general, I think the typical F1 driver's technical understanding is grossly overestimated, like people posting about this driver moving from let's say a Mercedes powered team to a whatever, taking engine-secrets with him in the process?

Preposterous to my mind, nothing less.

Like when Gerhard Berger was voicing his worries about the 1995 3.0 Ferrari V12 would have to little "torque", when he obviously meant too narrow powerband. He also said something about the Honda V10's reliability was due to it's weight.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Giblet

NH would be offering very little with his personal conjecture without data to back it up, and stealing heaps of data from Pirelli for his old team would be insane.

As far as we know, he is setting up a deal with Renault or someone else for a 2011 or 2012 drive, therefore giving data or conjecture to Mercedes would detriment his career.

Thanks for the sane response x.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Heidfeld may give Mercedes info, but it would only be in passing and very rudimentary. somthing along the lines of "fronts go off after 2 laps" etc.

Not only that, but Mercedes need a reference point, and the TF109 is not the W01 nor has Heifeld any experience of the current tyres either. So the point is moot IMO
More could have been done.
David Purley

WhiteBlue

Nick is a very good driver who deserves a seat in F1 and lost out due to an unlucky set of circumstances this year. The driver market for next year in top cars is already settled as well. So his misfortune last year is having severe consequences for him. If he manages to grab a job at Sauber or Renault with the Pirelli work on his CV he is not likely to influence the outcome of the 2013 championship. So talk of him having to sit out next season is wide off the mark for me.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Holm86

Will they be able to get usable data when they are testing with a TF109 chassis wich was developed to have same size front and rear tyres???
Shouldnt this give inaccurate data as the pirelli's front tyres is much narrower???

Jersey Tom

Data is never "great" or "perfect." You get what you get.. and you make it work.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

autogyro

Jersey Tom wrote:Data is never "great" or "perfect." You get what you get.. and you make it work.
Sorry JT but I just cannot accept that statement.
No other area of engineering would either.
You are in effect saying that tyres a just guess work!!!
Hardly something to base F1 technology on is it.

Jersey Tom

There's how things work in a textbook, and then there's reality. This is true of every area of REAL, practicing engineering. I can't think of a single test engineer in tires, automotive, aerospace, or anywhere.. who would disagree. Even co-ops and interns still in school can grasp this concept.

If you wait for perfect data to do an analysis or make a decision, you'll be waiting forever because it doesn't exist. Timely action is paramount in racing. That means you get whatever data you can, you accept and understand it's shortcomings, and you go with it.

And yes, tire engineering is as much "shooting from the hip" and making educated guesses as it is a science. If you ever see real tire data, you'll understand. Until then, you'll have to take our word for it.

The notion of tire/vehicle dynamics simulation and testing being some super precise well-understood science is a crock.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

xpensive

Never mind, no need to get into a discussion where you come from such opposite directions of xperience.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

Yes the drivers are useless lumps..That's why they pay them highly as test drivers,,,, Silly boys.
Of course there is valuable info he can discern and pass along.
And you have to be pretty naive not to think that Nick is soooooooo moral and altruistic and he would never do anything wrong..And Renault would never cheat and Piquet would never crash on purpose...Mike never parked on the track on purpose...Flavio and his crew never had illegal TC...LC..and other illegal bits and pieces...And McLaren and Ferrari,,yep,,,Paragons of virtue..
Yes ..Yes I'm sure you're right...Everything is on the up and up and nothing shady could possibly take place. EXCUSE ME for thinking we were dealing with crooks and cheats. :roll: :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FLC
FLC

Why would they test a different nose? A favor for HRT? :wink:
Take a look at this picture from today:

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... hp?fID=216

imightbewrong

FLC wrote:Why would they test a different nose? A favor for HRT? :wink:
Take a look at this picture from today:

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... hp?fID=216
Very odd...

Lots of HRT parts on it, nose, rear rear wing..

The tub and engine cover is not the same as yesterday either, but it is not the HRT

Never mind... its the new GP2 car
Last edited by imightbewrong on 18 Aug 2010, 20:59, edited 2 times in total.

Tim.Wright

Interesting haha.

Plus I agree with JT. Pirelli have an option to run a modern F1 car, with an F1 pilot one some F1 tracks. Should they say "no sorry, tyres are kinda too slim"?

Hell no, it might not be perfect but it will give a world of information you wont get from a tyre testing machine.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

raymondu999

Interesting. If it was the new GP2 car, it would be a bit slower and would treat the tyres differently, no? And it wouldn't have the size to accomodate an F1 engine, I don't think. Also, the new GP2 car is in many respects similar to the HRT. Wouldn't it almost benefit HRT? And since when did Dallara come in the mix? I thought they stuck with the fact that they were using the TF109?

Having said that, didn't HRT claim they'd buy the old TOyota team?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法