Pirelli will take Bridgestone's place after 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lebesset

Re: Pirelli will take Bridgestone's place after 2010

DLR . excellent move by pirelli
watched him at length at pre season , and whatever his weaknesses as a race driver he obviously knows this job!
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

FW17

Formula 1 has been a testing ground for a lot of innovations but one of the things that we have not seen in F1 tyres are run-flat tire systems.

Will pirelli develop one during their stint in F1?

Paul

I doubt they could keep the weight of such system down. Sidewalls are already stiff enough to allow the car to return to pits at a reasonable speed.

Jersey Tom

WilliamsF1 wrote:Formula 1 has been a testing ground for a lot of innovations but one of the things that we have not seen in F1 tyres are run-flat tire systems.

Will pirelli develop one during their stint in F1?
I'd rate it a 0.00% chance.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Do run flat tires not need a pretty low profile? If this is the case, I guess if they were not allowed their lower profile tyres for next year, I can't see run flat tyres being allowed.

There there is the additional weight of run flat tyres which seems can affect performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_Flat_Tyres

FW17

Paul wrote:I doubt they could keep the weight of such system down. Sidewalls are already stiff enough to allow the car to return to pits at a reasonable speed.
I wonder if anyone would call these as stiff sidewalled tyres.

raymondu999

Those are deflated F1 Bridgestones for 2010?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

lebesset

the FIA issued a directive to bridgestone regarding the characteristics they required for the 2010 tyres

have they issued any directive to pirelli regarding tyres for the next 2 years?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Just_a_fan

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Paul wrote:I doubt they could keep the weight of such system down. Sidewalls are already stiff enough to allow the car to return to pits at a reasonable speed.
I wonder if anyone would call these as stiff sidewalled tyres.
Difficult to say as we can't see the sidewalls...

However, evidence from the track is that cars with punctures are able to drive on the sidewalls even when the tread belt has fallen away.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jersey Tom

WF1 - do you have the source where that photo originally came from?

Edit - Nevermind, found it. I'll admit I'm surprised how lightweight the belts are on those rains.. though the slicks underneath them seem a bit more "normal."
Last edited by Jersey Tom on 30 Sep 2010, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

747heavy

Jersey Tom wrote:WF1 - do you have the source where that photo originally came from?
maybe from here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical ... umbai.html
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci