Mercedes GP - Inauguration and 1st season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard

Re: Mercedes GP - Inauguration and 1st season

Why "oh dear"? It says no big difference but then adds that the 2011 cars will be different as a result of the new tyres. Usual non-committal PR comments.

marcush.

So that´s the state of things at toyota simulator:

http://plus.autosport.com/free/feature/ ... simulator/

maybe that´s not quite what mercedes needs.

segedunum

I'm always mightily suspicious of apparent 'from scratch' projects that take the best part of a couple of years to complete, especially when most of that work will be software development and they should already have something to build on. The simulators of other teams have been iteratively improved over many years.

I don't know why the Toyota simulator wouldn't be what Mercedes needs. At least it is functioning now and could have been used while they built what they needed. It really depends on what variables they have to play with as to how much use it would be to them specifically. Unless that was a tongue-in-cheek comment of course.

Giblet

segedunum wrote: I don't know why the Toyota simulator wouldn't be what Mercedes needs.
This might have something to do with it
Ben Anderson - AUTOSPORT wrote: I have limited experience of racing simulators, but have tried two at sub-F1 level that don't employ a motion platform. Motion platforms are expensive and many drivers become ill when they are used. Seven-time F1 world champion Michael Schumacher is reportedly one such driver.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

marcush.

the motion platform simulators do not simulate g-forces so that sensation is really missing.
according to Timo Glocks comments Trulli was not getting anything out of the simulator and for himself it was "fun" + a good opportunity to work with the engineers...
also he stated that only big aero steps could be felt in the simulator ...
I fear without g-force generation the simulator is not that big help to most of the drivers.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So now that it transpires the Toyota Simulator wasnt much good, it vindicates Mercedes decision to go all new.
Thanks to Giblet and Marcush for taking the time to research this.
More could have been done.
David Purley

segedunum

Not having a motion platform? As Marcush point out I just don't see why a motion platform would be useful unless it gave you the G-force and the whole nine yards.

Let's be clear - the Mercedes GP simulator currently doesn't exist. At all. Motion platform or no motion platform. So, you're faced with a choice of having nothing or having something available you can at least get some numbers into and get some driver time on.

marcush.

So a full fledged 5 gs simulator would be the knife that cuts it potentially.
who as of today is using such a sohisticated device?It should be possible to produce those g -forces but I´d think it was impossible with a cinema type environment?

Giblet

A series of ropes, pulleys, and levers attached to the drivers helmet in 3 axis, and being pulled on by specially trained monkeys in corners.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

segedunum

...my point here simply being that when you've got a driver who is really struggling to understand the tyres and find a way with them, and you can't pound around a test track as often as you like, then a simulator is a useful way of working through things in the absence of anything else. If you don't have a simulator then I'd be running around trying to get one, because not being able to work through this problem would cost my team money. Dismissing what's on offer because it doesn't move around enough just seems rather thin to me. I'd be pulling out all the stops.

marcush.

if its not the real mckoy it won´t help,simple as that.
Learning tracks on playstation will tell you were to go somehow..but working with real talented rookies you will quickly learn that even a track like the nordschleife is not a big task for real talent to master.
when the feedback is not what you get in the car, why waste your time with it? I´m pretty sure some teams got it completely wrong what was possible to do with the tyres.
Brawn was struggling with Button,barrichello Schumacher and Rosberg as well..I doubt this is a driver issue.

Raptor22

Giblet wrote:A series of ropes, pulleys, and levers attached to the drivers helmet in 3 axis, and being pulled on by specially trained monkeys in corners.
why do you need monkeys when you have a third driver and a test driver sitting around twiddling their thumbs?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Apparently Mercedes are paying Force India or HRT 7m for Di resta to get a seat for 2011. I cant see this as being true although stranger things have happened. Is Stuttgart flush with cash once more? :shock:
David Purley

Raptor22

Stuttgart is always flush with cash. In a recession there is no shortage of really rich people, Mercedes market.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Not so, unfortunately Raptor.

Mercedes suffered during the recession like all luxury car makers. Generally speaking its the middle and lower classes that suffer most from recession.
Middle classes are Mercedes bread and butter, and when they tighten belts its effect has an an impact on Stuttgart coffers.

2008 and 2009 are testament to this.

http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-7153-1 ... 0-0-0.html
David Purley