F1 teams do read this site!!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
compo

Re: F1 teams do read this site!!

:?:
Last edited by compo on 22 Nov 2009, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.

Jersey Tom

Scotracer wrote:I never read any of your comments but I am surprised by your, frankly, stupidity. I will never reveal on the internet where I work/where I have worked.
Are you highlander???
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Scotracer

goony wrote:yeah thanks for your support :wtf:

goony
What do you expect? Is this unfortunate or a direct result of something you did? I wouldn't be so malicious to say you deserved it but you cannot be surprised that divulging that much info (on the parts that are still available to see on the site) for it to come and bit you in the arse. I would give an arm and a leg to work for Mclaren, and hope to in the future, that I would do everything in my power to not jeopardise that.

What was the "official" grounds of your resignation?
Jersey Tom wrote:
Scotracer wrote:I never read any of your comments but I am surprised by your, frankly, stupidity. I will never reveal on the internet where I work/where I have worked.
Are you highlander???
wot?
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Roger the knife

The key here is that like most companies, I'm sure McLaren's contract of employment includes a clause about discussing company business, especially on te internet. I bet every race tam has this clause, I know that I am bound by such a provision.

I'm sorry it's all ended so badly for goony, who was only trying to satisfy the curiosity of everyone who uses this forum, but sometimes you need to be pretty careful what you reveal, and how close you appear to the source....

WhiteBlue

..... deleted to be helpfull
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 21 Nov 2009, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

marcush.

sorry to hear that but I feared something like that might happen .
personally I don´t think one should hide what he does or for whom he works .
Of course posting delicate details here is a difficult matter I would try to avoid .
On the other hand ,i guess all of the new teams should be happy to snap you up with
all your experience and expertise.Still I guess they will be putting a big piece of
tearoff fabric across your mouth...
I have had to sign a confidentially agreement on every work I did with any of the serious employers- automotive ,not racing- I had ,is this not common in F1 as well???
As a visitor you would not even get out of the company with a mobile equipped with camera or a USB stick without written permission by a big head ... in case you get cought it is of course instant kickout time but still you could see Pics of prototype car interiors on the web taken in shanghai ,and those pics could not have been taken without the drivers knowledge....

ringo

To be fair to goony, the Mp4 25 thread should be cleaned. I knew something was going to happen.
We should not have pushed him for anything. I wouldn't want other teams getting a head start on their cars either.

And with the recession any excuse is good enough to fire someone. Maybe if they were paying Heidfeld instead of Button they would be able to hold off on the firing.

Goony you were a little too revealing on the Button thing though, other than that we did not get much out of you.
Maybe maclaren are a little cynical of what other teams would do with the little info you divulged. Hope they don't hate the site and fans for it.

I won't bother putting up any sketches in the other thread, lets leave it at just speculation. F1 technical got uncomfortably too technical for a minute there. Though those are the things i want to know when i come on here.

How did they figure you out? You were the guy in the pic?
For Sure!!

xpensive

Xcuse me for a sec, is everybody here convinced that "goony" really did work at McLaren?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pup
Pup

No, not that it mattered much one way or the other. It was a fun bit of speculation.

And if he's for real, then I don't see any point of rubbing it all in. What's done is done, and I'd just hope that it doesn't hurt him in getting in with another team.

As for the 'dead zone' discussion, I still have a hard time believing that anyone truly in the know about something like this would even think about mentioning it in public. But what do I know - we think of McLaren as some sort of super-secret powerhouse of technical efficiency and business know-how; but in truth they're probably just winging it like everyone else out there. Nice building, though.

Another rambling thought is that the whole 'dead zone' thing could have been an internal McLaren rumor to sniff out leaks - not an unheard of practice.

Regardless - good luck to you, goony, whoever you are.
Last edited by Pup on 20 Nov 2009, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

gridwalker

This turn of events was pretty obvious the moment that the words "dead zone" appeared on this forum : anyone who was willing to drop a hint in public for free can be persuaded to name details in private for a price.

Security risk, plain and simple.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

PlatinumZealot

From he mentioned The Button seat fitting I think that was it!
But Good luck to him all the same.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

compo

Last edited by compo on 22 Nov 2009, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive

Dead Zone, eh? By his own admission, "goony" is a laminator journeyman, why I would be surprised if he as such has very much in-depth knowledge about any ground-breaking aerodynamic developments even if he worked at McLaren?

But you never know, do you Pup?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

gridwalker

xpensive wrote:But you never know
And there is the problem : Nobody knew what Stepney et al knew until they got caught.

They say that walls have ears, but phones have cameras, usb sticks and flash memory devices come in all shapes and sizes, mobile technology makes smuggling details out of somewhere as simple as the press of a button and the internet makes speculation spread like wildfire.

ANYBODY with access to anything remotely secret can pass on information, whether they have the knowledge to understand it or not : plausible doubt in an employee's integrity is enough to destroy a career in any highly secretive industry, so posting up a statement that you have no loyalty to your current employer (which I have seen in one of these threads) is a folly of monumental proportions.

When publicly hinting that you know something that is worth millions of pounds in development time and that your loyalty is negotiable (again, taken from these very boards), should you expect a reaction any less severe?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

compo

Last edited by compo on 22 Nov 2009, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.