Virgin Racing (aka Manor GP)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Virgin Racing (aka Manor GP)

wesley123 wrote:really, Nick Wirth is completely naive, he does the same with the Acura LMP's and come on, those things arent good, the only reason they won LMP was because they were the only ones, when Peugeot and Audi were contesting too they were nowhere near, so that already is a great example why he shouldnt do that.
After that article i have my doubts in Virgin already
Could turn out like the 1997 or 1998 Lola in other words???

Anyone remember the Lola T97/30??? 11-13 seconds off the pace and it literally had little testing and wind tunnel data.

marcush.
marcush.

you can argue long about the if and when aspects in all the new outfits.
BUT Wirth research has a proven record in building lmp2 cars that are a match for the best or maybe the best.They were challenging Diesel Audis in North America and yes the LMP1 car had no true opposition but then it was not their fault the crisis
scratching off all audis last year.
The Driving simulator is surely one of the best around and at the very least they are used to designing cars without windtunnel use.Still I do not really understand
for what exactly you would need a tunnel when you got a car out there to collect the relevant data.As in all the other threads we see here we constantly get our noses dug into the trouble you face trying to isolate single phenomenoms and make sense out of data collected in vitro conditions not representing the real thing.
It is more than obvious that even the best teams ,be it Benetton -renault,toyota,Williams ,Jordan,Ferrari have gone through times when they severely
got in trouble because of trusting tunnel work when the work did not translate to real world racing.It happened years aga it still happens -see Renault,Mclaren-get
some misunderstanding have no clue about a factor playing now a role in the whole equation ,voila the whole car is not competitive anymore.
Validate your CFD versus tracktesting seems a lot more logical to me than aligning it towards tunnel work ,because both do not represent the truth but only aspects of it ,so even if both show a plus situation this does not mean we got a advantage on track.otherwise if something work in tunnel but not in cfd it still can work wonders for on track performance...right?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I relly like where you have came from on that one. Cars that have came from the windtunnel, and have been said to be fast in recent years, well havnt. Take the Renault R27, Honda RA107 & RA108, McLaren have had the same problem for the MP4/21 i belive, and lets face it Toyota came out with too much relyance from the tunnel with their TF106 and TF107.

However, we saw in 09 that too much relyance on CFD can produce a lemmon or two in the Renault R29 and BMW Sauber F1.09, altho im sure that KERS optomisation was to blame there as well, somewhere.

I belive that there should be at least some tunnel data to verify the CFD numbers for the baseline, thats all, the rest should be a correlation between CFD and track now. Wind tunnels are fickle things that need to be calibrated properly to get the right data out of them. Otherwise forget it.

The one thing i am finding facinating about the Wirth facility is that they are using that simulator to test set-ups and new parts for the car on it in a virtual world, thats the thing that really gets me, how do they do it???

But, come Febuary 1st, we will see what type of speed they can get out of the car in relation to the traditionally built cars from the traditional makers.

Terrible3
Terrible3

wesley123 wrote:really, Nick Wirth is completely naive, he does the same with the Acura LMP's and come on, those things arent good, the only reason they won LMP was because they were the only ones, when Peugeot and Audi were contesting too they were nowhere near, so that already is a great example why he shouldnt do that.
Sorry but I disagree. You are jumping to conclusions based on little knowledge of LMP cars.

The ARX-01a & b was based on the Courage LC75 chassis. Nick Wirth built on this to form the acura P2 car. They won on their first attempt at Sebring, and followed that up with several over wins over two years. The car nearly missed the LMP2 championship to the RS spyder in 2008. That's pretty incredible since the the Spyder had a bespoke engine that took all the structural loads with no other forms of tube bracing unlike its competition. The Acura on the other hand had an IRL ( from what I can gather) based engine that required chassis structure around the engine to support the transmission and rear bell cranks. Pretty impressive.

The ARX-02 may not have won Sebring or Petite, but its still an amazing car. The fact that it had P1 at sebring on its first outing can not be over looked. Sure it was lacking race pace, but it was also lacking the development its opposition had. You also have to realize that the car is powered by basically a P2 engine bored out. In P1 an engine with the displacement of 4L is allowed to have twin turbos, yet acura did not bother. The car fundamentally lacks the torque needed to really challenge the Audi and the 908 race pace. Its Wirths areo dev that allows the ARX-02 to even be competitive. At Road Atlanta this year the Acura did an awesome job keeping up the with audi and 908 and it smoked the Lola Judd and Oreca Courage. I think that if the ARX-02 was given an Judd or an aston v12 it would be a menacing machine (clearly packaging would be a massive issue among many issues).

Pandamasque

Even if ARX-02a wasn't as good as the diesels, and wasn't too versatile (front tyre dimensions), saying that it was a failure is way too much of an overkill. Still they dropped it to concentrate on the 2010 ARX-01c LMP2 car. It is already Le Mans compliant, they have an invitation and I'm sure they'll come and play!

UPD: corrected.
Last edited by Pandamasque on 16 Dec 2009, 01:26, edited 3 times in total.

Terrible3
Terrible3

Pandamasque wrote:Even if ARX-01a wasn't as good as the diesels, and wasn't too versatile (front tyre dimensions), saying that it was a failure is way too much of an overkill. Still they dropped it to concentrate on the 2010 ARX-01c LMP2 car. It is already Le Mans compliant, they have an invitation and I'm sure they'll come and play!
The ARX-01 is a P2 car not P1. Its the ARX-02 that raced against the Diesels. The ARX-1a&b is the P2 car that raced against the RS Spyder, AER Lola and Lola mazda.

ARX-01b

ARX-02a

Pandamasque

Thanks for pointing that out. That's what I meant to say. (the post is corrected)

PS: is Wirth still involved in the Acura programme?

Terrible3
Terrible3

Pandamasque wrote:Thanks for pointing that out. That's what I meant to say. (the post is corrected)

PS: is Wirth still involved in the Acura programme?

I am not sure if he is helping out highcroft with the dev of the ARX-01c. From my understanding it is known that Wirth is developing his own new P1 chassis currently regardless if Acura make the choice to buy into the program or not. Technically speaking Wirth will have a leg up on the diesels since he will have an extra year or so of development done under the new rules in addition to the fact that Wirth has already designed two cars under the smaller 4.0 and 3.4 L engines. My only question is how it will be possible for Wirth to focus on two big projects at once; Manor Gp and Wirth LMP.

dumrick
dumrick

Pandamasque wrote:PS: is Wirth still involved in the Acura programme?
Wirth Research was commissioned to conceive a new LMP for 2011, but it's not known if by Acura. Acura will have an evolution of the LMP2 car (the ARX-01c) on the track in 2010 (including in Le Mans, if their application is accepted), but no news link this development to Wirth Research, the original authors of the Courage conversion.
ESPImperium wrote:I relly like where you have came from on that one. Cars that have came from the windtunnel, and have been said to be fast in recent years, well havnt. Take the Renault R27, Honda RA107 & RA108, McLaren have had the same problem for the MP4/21 i belive, and lets face it Toyota came out with too much relyance from the tunnel with their TF106 and TF107.
Well, I don't know your sources, but I believe CFD and wintunnel testing have been used hand-in-hand by every F1 team since they've got their hands on the tool (surely since the beginning of the century). In the thread I've mentioned before, there's an excellent post on it:
xxChrisxx wrote:It has NOTHING to do with the people nor their abilities as engineers. Not being able to get an accurate answer first time it is an inherent flaw in SIMULATION. I find it highly annoying that you are bashing these people for being crap, when you simply don't know what is involved with simulation.

I will give you a very brief intro to CFD simulation. The stuff below doesn't een come close to accurately describing the complexity of the modelling.

Refining a mathematical model (this is NOT the shape of the car but the equations modelling the physics of the flow) is an iterative process. A good guess to he right flow physics, say choosing the right flow model will get you 90% to a decent solution. To get more accurate required very detailed and very boring tedious work, analysing model outputs and comparing them to computer code.

We have several models for flow already, they all basically do the same thing, which is solve Navier-Stokes equation numerically (as a non-linear pde it can't be solved y conventional techniques:

The fact that its a numerical solution used, mean that it's impossible to get a correct answer, you can just get answers of increasing accuracy. This is done for the amount of cells you have in your CFD and it can track the changes to pressure/velocity of the fluid.

HOWEVER! The solution doesnt invovle plugging ang chuggin this, becuase it would try to solve the equation for, basically every molecule of air. Which is computationally almost impossilbe on current systesm.

As such very smalls flows are 'guesstimated at' by turbulence models, taken from the Reynolds averaged version of the N-S equation (RANS). There are lots of tubulence models. On the package i've used.

S-A
http://www.cfd-online.com/Wiki/Spalart-Allmaras_model
K-e
http://www.cfd-online.com/Wiki/K-epsilon_models
K-o
http://www.cfd-online.com/Wiki/K-omega_models

http://www.cfd-online.com/Wiki/RANS-bas ... nce_models

These basically involve putting in constants, to describe the turbulence. The engineer does not know these constants becuase they change for every flow. So all the data in the world will not give you the correct constants, they have to be found by trial and error.

This is done by comparing model output to something that has more fidelity to reality. In this case a windtunnel. Windtunnels are incredibly accurate if set up and the flow measured correctly. This can be then fine tune the model to gie correct results.

Now do you see, why removing the thing to compare the model against doesn't work. You can't fine tune it to get the correct answer. This is NOT the fault of the engineer/aero guy. Even if you didn't understand a word of this, please stop insulting the engineers who do this for a living.
Even though I understand that only wintunnel testing gives you a good, solid process to estimate the adequate constants to apply to the turbulent air models in the CFD simulation, while the Wirth Reseach guys will have to guestimate them, I'm also sympathetic with marcush's view: in my point of view, if only wintunnel will give you the final tenths of a second, a poorly calibrated windtunnel may lead your constant estimations so wrong that you may be full seconds behind.
ESPImperium wrote:
Could turn out like the 1997 or 1998 Lola in other words???

Anyone remember the Lola T97/30??? 11-13 seconds off the pace and it literally had little testing and wind tunnel data.

Well, the Lola T97/30 never saw a wintunnel nor a CFD station, since the little time available after MasterCard decided that the car had to race in 1997, rather than 1998, the initial plan.
Also, you seem to see Wirth as a novice, but he has already designed very interesting F1 chassis (the 1994 and 1995 Simteks), that weren't successful more because of the lack of funding rather than because of poor design. I see no reason to think he lost his mind and is now completetly unaware of the risks is incurring because of this decision. Virgin's plan is to reach the head of the field in two or three years, if they don't succeed, you'll be free to say "I told you so!", in the meantime, let's give them some credit :wink:

gambler
gambler

looks like there could be a way to apply a pressure sensitive or
friction sensitive "decal" thermocouple that is either read via
micro processor or viewed with a special infared camera.(cover
entire car with it)
that would give some indication of what the air is doing
in real race situations
or in particular where to get hold of some air when in behind of
another race car.
i know it possible,question is would it work?

wesley123
wesley123

Also, you seem to see Wirth as a novice, but he has already designed very interesting F1 chassis (the 1994 and 1995 Simteks), that weren't successful more because of the lack of funding rather than because of poor design. I see no reason to think he lost his mind and is now completetly unaware of the risks is incurring because of this decision. Virgin's plan is to reach the head of the field in two or three years, if they don't succeed, you'll be free to say "I told you so!", in the meantime, let's give them some credit
Really, Nick Wirth is so overhyped, actually, all of his 'great' aerodynamical finds turned the other way. He was involved with the CDG wing, wich failded, he was involved with the LMP rule changes back in 2004, wich failed either. Also his underbody wich decreased the chance of Indycars going airborne failed pretty much. Cant find anything he did well, but we'll see how it goes.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pandamasque

Terrible3
Terrible3

I had a little fun today making my own livery....

Giblet
Giblet

wesley123 wrote:
Also, you seem to see Wirth as a novice, but he has already designed very interesting F1 chassis (the 1994 and 1995 Simteks), that weren't successful more because of the lack of funding rather than because of poor design. I see no reason to think he lost his mind and is now completetly unaware of the risks is incurring because of this decision. Virgin's plan is to reach the head of the field in two or three years, if they don't succeed, you'll be free to say "I told you so!", in the meantime, let's give them some credit
Really, Nick Wirth is so overhyped, actually, all of his 'great' aerodynamical finds turned the other way. He was involved with the CDG wing, wich failded, he was involved with the LMP rule changes back in 2004, wich failed either. Also his underbody wich decreased the chance of Indycars going airborne failed pretty much. Cant find anything he did well, but we'll see how it goes.
I would say that the work to find out that the CDG was not going to work (interference from rear tire aero) was good. The concept was conceived, and then found out to not work. No harm no foul. better than assuming it will work and pushing it through anyways. Just because the wing failed doesn't mean the work behind finding that out wasn't top notch.

96-99 he was the chief designer at Benetton, and hauled two 3rds in the WCC. Once they no longer had the Renault engines (Playlife ugh) they dropped steadily.

I am looking at his history, and not seeing absolute failure, but I have not known much about him until recently.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

wesley123
wesley123

okay, there you are right.

But the CDG was expected to work, else it wouldnt be announced.

Well, afterall he dares to try things, he certainly is not the best designer around and in my opinion is still overhyped, for every rulechange in car racing he is involved and none of them have really worked. The LMP rulechange in 2005 only made the cars faster. The new floor used in indy cars to reduce the cars taking off when crashing wasnt a succes either, the f1 rulechanges were a succes neither.

But, as i said before, we will see how the team goes with Wirths designed cars.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender