Jerez Test December 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
axle

Re: Jerez Test December 2009

Vasco wrote:no change to brawn gp livery

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... catID=4406
Not exactly a surprise is it? Why would you repaint a car for some kid to jump in and drive it? Wouldn't you wait until the launch of your new car rather than mess about for a 3 day test?

(Those were rhetorical questions)
- Axle

ESPImperium

tadzio89 wrote:two new outlets in Williams?

http://images.gpupdate.net/large/143304.jpg
Been there all year, sorry.

Scotracer

So do we have any confirmed pictures of 2010 tyres or was it 2009 rubber all day?
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Ogami musashi

A bit of crossposting but Stobart from Bridgestone confirmed there were only 09 tyres at the test.

I recall that the front won't only be narrower by also have less radius.

dumrick

What is this and this? Flex sensoring?

astracrazy

i think so i seem to remember this time last year bmw doing a similar sort of thing.

why i dnt know

Scotracer

dumrick wrote:What is this and this? Flex sensoring?
It must be. They can measure DF levels via suspension loadings so it won't be to check the forces.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

ISLAMATRON

or maybe just a quick/cheap way to stop the excessive flex that we saw on the RB last year so they can determine how much extra DF they can get out of doing so.

ESPImperium

Scotracer wrote:
dumrick wrote:What is this and this? Flex sensoring?
It must be. They can measure DF levels via suspension loadings so it won't be to check the forces.
Probably yes to the both. As it looks as if they can tighten the wires to increase the stiffness of the wing. And if the wing is stiffer, who knows, they may actually increase downforce. And if that moves the presure zone of the car forward and increases downforce, not to mention adds more residual mass to the front end of the car, theese are effects and traits that are required for the 2010 cars to be fast.

Also some odd wheel nuts for Ferarri, who like red bull, have left the fairings at home for the front wheels at least.

ISLAMATRON

no team actually wants to "add residual mass to the front of the car", especially that high up, and that far forward... and with the skinny 2010 tires I think they'll actually be wanting to move the weight bias a little further back than in 2009, but we shall see.

Those lines are definitly a way of resucing flex in the front wing, whether or not they use them to measure the flex as well is up for debate.

Great pix though thanks

dedge

To my mind : these wires are there for stiffening the front wing.
If they would have the need to measure the flexibility of the wing, they would have used extensometric sensors. These are flat sensors you glue on the face of a part, they measure the small movement of a part when loaded. And they do not affect the aero flow.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah, they look like bridge suspension cables. Maybe they really thought the wing was too flexible this year.

The Ferrari Pitot tubes, why are they so high up?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

New tyres?

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

timbo

n smikle wrote:The Ferrari Pitot tubes, why are they so high up?
To get them out of excited airflow. What other explanation it might be?

On new tyres... I kinda thought it looked like new tyres on some pics, while on others I won't say so. Would probably know from press.