Genii Capital takes over Renault team

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rod_in_Chile

Re: Richards set to take over Renault team

WhiteBlue wrote:
Chaparral wrote: I never saw 'realities' in Honda/BMW/Toyota statements - they used the GFC but show me the VW considerations thats what Id like to see
I'm glad I did not do the work for you if you regard the statements by the chairmen of those corporation as non realities. Find the VW story at Autosport:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80348
Do you honestly believe that people say what they really think in press releases?
It's like most people who post on forums don't post what they really think, it's called being diplomatic though I have seen evidence that you inspire other members to post what they really think about the content of your posts and the motivation behind them

WhiteBlue

There is certainly a good deal of spin doctoring to be expected. Nevertheless corporations have to satisfy the share holders, employees and other stake holders. So when it comes to tough decisions and strategic changes of direction they cannot totally invent things because they will be held responsible by their supervisory body. It is a bit different for corporations as Virgin or Rad Bull that are controlled by the founders and main share holders. They can tell you complete bullshit without fear of consequences.

So in the case of Toyota, Honda and BMW I expect to find a good deal of truth in the statements issued about the reasons for withdrawal. About the only thing they are likely to lie about is the respective lack of success which must have played a bigger role in most cases than they admit. If the regulatory environment plays a bigger role than the economy I certainly see no reason to hold back with comments when a company exits F1.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Rod_in_Chile

In the case of Honda and Toyota how about saving face? They couldn't really say " we are leaving because we suck at this we have no idea how to succeed even though we have thrown countless millions at it"

BMW were doomed by their inflexibility in my opinion, they had their 5 year plan and stuck to it, when they should have chased the WDC with Kubica last year.

Richards re-entering F1 could be a good thing or a bad thing, seems to me he hasn't done much for WRC when IRC is flourishing

ISLAMATRON

That Kubica for WDC crap still cracks me up, as if he had any chance of getting it... BMW made the right move in moving development to the 2010 car, they just did a bad job of it. Hopefully BMW will be back as an engine supplier with the new 2012 formula and Renault will as well.

WhiteBlue

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08122009/ ... eturn.html?

There seems to be another option that could see Pollock back as a team principal instead of Richards. The deal seems to hinge on Ghoshn's preferences which are not for ProDrive. If Pollock would take control of the team again it would be nothing but total desaster IMO. The guy has wrecked everything he has ever touched in F1.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

gibells

ISLAMATRON wrote:Hopefully BMW will be back as an engine supplier with the new 2012 formula and Renault will as well.
Sorry but I'm a bit slow sometimes. What 2012 formula are you talking about? New engine regs or the FOTA formula or what?

I'm not being challenging, I genuinely want to know what you know.

Fil

Lopez, the previously-rumoured rival bidder for the team had this to say..

"For us, it is important to confirm the stability over time. The business opportunities should rely not on making more out of the team, but it should be about making money out of the business platform we have."

:? hmm, i understand a profitability is important to independent teams, but surely he shouldn't be so blasé about being complacent in remaining a midfield team.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

raceman

gibells wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Hopefully BMW will be back as an engine supplier with the new 2012 formula and Renault will as well.
Sorry but I'm a bit slow sometimes. What 2012 formula are you talking about? New engine regs or the FOTA formula or what?

yes, pls explain so that we also get to know what 2012 formula is.....

WhiteBlue

He is probably referring to plans to introduce a new engine formula in 2012. This has been mentioned by the FIA and other parties several times but the plan is rather diffuse. It obviously depends of who is still available as an engine supplier by then. One of the suppliers they talked to was VW.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80348

I would not bet the farm on the chance of this happening. The issue is obviously connected to the plan of a "world engine". BMW was very interested for some time before they pulled out. It was said that the engine were likely to be a downsized turbo - perhaps 2L - and that there would be HERS and KERS returning.

Confused_Andy

I dunno about anyone else but i'm starting to get fed up of these "capital investors" getting involved in F1 all the time. It will be a real shame is Lopez bought Renault over Richards...

We want people with experience & brains not buckets of cash!

Rod_in_Chile

Andy I reckon we want people with experience, brains, buckets of cash but most importantly PASSION for racing

ISLAMATRON

raceman wrote:
gibells wrote:

yes, pls explain so that we also get to know what 2012 formula is.....
check WB's post... but 2012 is the next scheduled change to the F1 engine formula, that was worked out around the same time the engine freeze was being debated... i thought the rumors about it were pretty loud... the IRL is considering adopting whatever engine regs F1 goes for but they want a new formula sooner than 2012... A world engine formula would be helpful.

Fil

Funnily enough, since i posted that quote by Lopez, i have actually turned, and am beginning to like him and his viewpoint on F1.

He seems to be a man of ideas and progressive thoughts on where F1 should go, and what opportunities lay - particularly with current media such as the internet.

Link 1, Link 2

I'm starting to think the guys like Lopez, Fernandes, even Branson, are what F1 needs. If they can begin to take a stronger influence within FOTA and put pressure on FOM, or circumvent it altogether, i'm beginning to believe they could improve the show that F1 provides in astounding fashion.

These guys, not the Richards/Prodrives of the racing world, could be the ones to pull F1 up into the 21st Century.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

WhiteBlue

Toleman-Benetton-Renault as a team deserve more than guy with modern marketing ideas. To come back to the cutting edge of the championship is the only possible objective for such a team. Renault should focus on selecting the leadership that can get the team back into winning form asap.

Rod_in_Chile

WB and Islamatron I read the situation a little differently, 2012 is the end of the currently engine freeze is it not meaning as I understand it that teams will be able to freely develop their engine until the are homolgated.
I have heard of the world engine which a consider to be another one of Max's moves to get the manufacturers out of the sport, one thing he excelled in during his Presidency.
I imagine their will be discussions about changes to the engine formula but if the FIA are serious about cost cutting they should consider carrying the current engine regs over for another 2 to 3 years