Silverstone (possible) new layout

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo

Silverstone (possible) new layout

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80477
Firstly I have to note that just a couple of hours back presented layout was different :roll: with a tighter chicane at Abbey and a straight until a tight hairpin.
So...
Seems like most show-stoppers (Copse, M-B, Stove) are present which is good.
But I soooo love Priory. Playing rFactor it's amazing how much speed you can take into the corner and how little you have to brake.
Now, the first layout I've seen added a clear overtaking spot at the hairpin (akin to Adelaide) and the present one, I dunno... Although "new" Abbey seems to be interesting.

PS In any event, track is visibly longer, which means we would have less of first sector :?
IMO they'd better cut off that Brooklands-Luffield nonsense like in good 'ole days

wesley123

Re: Silverstone (possible) new layout

there was a circuit wich was presented earlier, but that track layout was already proposed 10 years ago(i read about that layout in the autosport i believe)

The new shown layout looks actually pretty cool, a longer straight it seems.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Fil

:-k ahem..

link
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

timbo

Fil wrote::-k ahem..

link
Ummm.... yep... I'm officially slow :oops:

mx_tifoso

Don't worry about it, it can be fixed.

But even I've committed the same mistake, and I'm the one who is usually correcting everyone about this kind of stuff. :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

davejon

The new layout looks good.I think it's necessary to have new circuit for the British GP.I like some bottleneck like angular tracks shown in the layout.I think the new layout will ask for more from drivers during racing to compete and win.

WhiteBlue

Silverstone is getting serious about new facilities

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/01/ ... lverstone/

I was really shocked to see the old grandstands gone. Now something that was familiar at Silverstone will change. I think it will be a change to the better. Just wondering how they are going to extend the crash areas for the bikes and fit bigger grandstands. Perhaps they can build a cantilevered grandstand over the crash zone?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Henning

Re: Silverstone is getting serious about new facilities

Is that the press-boxes I can see on the right? Are they old or the new ones?

Fil

looks like the London Olympic Pole Vault (front of photo) will be held at Silverstone..
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Scuderia_Russ

I was in there last week picking up some bits and I knew there was some heavy civil engineering going on because of the size of the earth movers coming in and out. Looks quite busy over there.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

DaveKillens

The Silverstone track is being altered in the same manner as Bahrain. A new section will be tacked on to extend the length of the track and change some corners. The Arena section will be added to the Formula One layout.

The "Bike friendly" section will be used.

Maggotts, Becketts, and Chapel will not be touched. Messing with that section of corners borders on blasphemy.

What really strikes is some of the similarities to the Bahrain layout, and what Bernie said a few days ago. He expressed a desire to spice things up.
The Formula 1 commercial rights holder suggested last week that circuits should incorporate shorter routes, designed to be used by drivers for a certain number of times throughout a Grand Prix.
And now Bahrain and Silverstone are incorporating changes that could easily be used to dovetail into Bernie's newest idea. Use the new layout for the race but allow the drivers a certain number of laps (around 4 or 5) where they have the option of taking a shortcut.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Richard

Damon Hill doesn't like the new layout ... oops...
Damon Hill, the president of Silverstone's owners, has derided the circuit's £5million redesign as a 'frustrating compromise' that risks 'destroying the essence of what brought fans to Formula One in the first place'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... z0fKWexvi3

ESPImperium

Personally, i like it.

The new abbey will require the driver to lift a little, and if he lifts too much hes gonna get mugged at the end of the straight. The new turn 11-12-13 remind me a little of the back straight at Instanbul Park, but a lot shorter, but with simmilar overtaking potential. The use of the National straight is a useful one, one that hasnt seen use in a F1 race, ever to my recollection. However, the new turn 16 is one for the brave overtakers out there. Get it righ you have your place, get it wrong, and you and Jarno are gonna have a little argument about it for a couple of weeks. The tightening up of the exit of Beckets will really slow the cars down into the Hanger Straight, but will ultimately have the same effect as the new Abbey, but in the early laps its gonna bunch them up a good bit.

However, i will miss bridge, its an amazing corner how much stick you have in that corner, at first you want to brake and/or lift a little for it, but once you have lernt it a little better, you can just go flat thrugh it.

rich1701

I don't like it, Because there was nothing wrong with the old layout and this is not an improvement.

It has been neutered in a Tilkesque fashion. Damon Hill is absolutely right, this dilutes Silverstone and shifted the pendulum slightly from a classic great fast sweeping challenge towards the direction of an average run of the mill conformist racing track.

The F1 calander needs unique venues that have very different demands, and this detriment to that.

I guess i should be grateful that It's not quite the butchering Hockenhiem got.

ISLAMATRON

it creates 1, maybe 2 more overtaking opportunities per lap for F1 cars.

I dont see it changing the track that much... they can always revert to the old layout if the changes prove to detrimental to the racing.