Silverstone (possible) new layout

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pandamasque

Re: Silverstone (possible) new layout

ISLAMATRON wrote:it creates 1, maybe 2 more overtaking opportunities per lap for F1 cars.
WHERE? :shock: I think it removes 2.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Another look at what it may look like:

ISLAMATRON

Pandamasque wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:it creates 1, maybe 2 more overtaking opportunities per lap for F1 cars.
WHERE? :shock: I think it removes 2.
yes you lose the opportunity hard braking into abby, but you get it back hard braking into 13, although you could get re-passed at 14 if you overdo it into 13... and then a possible opportunity going into the new Brookland if you close up into 13 and get a good run out of 14&15 and catch a good slipstream. If they defend the inside line going into Brooklands you could set up to be in the better line going into Luffield, but that has allways been difficult, new layout or old.

Not many F1 passes going down in the old Bridge to Luffield complex, but it was a tricky section that led to alot of mistakes, especially in qually.

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Seems like Hill aint too happy about the new changes either:
'It is fast, exciting corners that drivers love. It is what fans love. So, it's illogical not to concentrate on developing the sporting challenge. You end up having to do things you don't want to. It is very frustrating. I have the idea of my perfect, fantasy track and that's not what we are building."
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/8590.html

godlameroso

Damon (over the)Hill doesn't know what he's talking about, the last part of the circuit has always been a slow section, this layout speeds it up a bit, and introduces some tricky corners and breaking zones.
Saishū kōnā

Pandamasque

godlameroso wrote:Damon (over the)Hill doesn't know what he's talking about.
Probably you just can't read.
He's talking about fast corners. Two very fast corners and one fast-ish chicane is being removed. There are 2 very slow corners in the S3 of the old GP layout. Both of them will be retained +2 new ones added.

-KMR_NH-

Well, I don't understand why there have to be changes to the layout. IMO, there's nothing wrong with it and always fun to drive.
Looking at the new layout, the first thing which strikes me is way to much tarmac around the new area.
Kimi Räikkönen
Nico Hülkenberg

godlameroso

ESPImperium wrote:

Probably you just can't read.
He's talking about fast corners. Two very fast corners and one fast-ish chicane is being removed. There are 2 very slow corners in the S3 of the old GP layout. Both of them will be retained +2 new ones added.
Abbey chicane was not fast, or even fast'ish', and in it's place is a flat out right hander. The end of the turn leading onto hangar straight is slightly slower, which makes it a little more challenging in my opinion. Bridge is gone big deal, from what I can tell on the infield there is 2 slow corners, one being more of a breaking zone. The other has a short run to it, so it doesn't require big breaking. The next turn is a tricky high speed left. Then towards the end of the track the slowest corner in the old layout is being made more obtuse with a decreasing radius and hence slightly faster, the last corner is as it was. I don't see how the track is being made slower? Maybe because of a longer lap time but not by it's characteristics.
Saishū kōnā

ISLAMATRON

Yes, average speed should increase even though, lap times are longer

gibells
gibells

I understand they changed the layout to get rid of Bridge because of their commitment to MotoGP, because it was a dangerous corner for bikers, and this new layout was supposed to be more biker friendly.

But I also understood they intended building a brand new PitLane after the club corner and before the new Abbey, but I can't find much to back it up by the way of Google, and it doesn't seem to be part of this years plans. Anyway, does anyone know if these pits will be built at all?

Paul

I've read somewhere that it's still in plans for 2011...

Spencifer_Murphy

I'm all for moving the pit complex if it means the facilities are improved and Bernie gets off the BRDC's back about that. But the new layout is pointless. There's nothing particuuarly wrong about it, but nothing right about it either. Its a lot of money to be spent without actually making any improvements. What SHOULD be done is something to the final sector, sure they've make Brooklands faster, but Luffield is still as slow and painful as before. We've lost bridge which is a great corner (and Rubens showed that you can overtake there too if u got the car/the balls!).

Most importantly however we loose the Abbey chicane. One of the very very few chicanes in the world that you can call a genuine overtaking spot. Finally, what have they done to Beckkets. The Maggots-Becketts series of corners is one of the greatest in the world...why would you slow down the exit?!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Pandamasque

What??? They touched the esses?! There must be a law against it or something.

@ gibells - the MotoFP version was supposed to be a version, the original S3 should remain usable. Why not use it for F1?

The relocation of the pits is planned, but not for 2010.

godlameroso

But there is still a place to overtake, and this new way to do it requires both strategy and an adequate pair...

Think about it you get a good run down the infield into the first chicken, the driver in front notices you in his rear view and slightly panics, the driver following doesn't have to worry about aerodynamics spoiling his ability to follow into the next hairpin so he pushes get's right on the tail of the other driver and catches a slip stream down the new straight. In a moment of stupid bravery he tries to break later into the new decreasing radius turn 15 and gets a pass, but is able to make it stick because of there only being one line through T16. Yet now the passed driver can't make a comeback because of the fast series of corners that follow, due to aerodynamic washout, until the end of Maggots-Becketts.

Besides the last corner isn't so bad it was the one before it that was painful IMHO. Finally the Maggots-Becketts corners are still fast, it's just the exit has been made more challenging to get right, an F1 car might still be able to come out of it flat out. Furthermore, even if the car can't it gives the driver another challenge and mistakes get punished because of the run down hangar straight which allows a slipstream and a possible overtaking into the next corner. Because if my memory serves me correct I've seen a pass or two into that medium-high speed turn.

edit:syntax error
Saishū kōnā

Hangaku

When I was digging around for more information about the proposed changes, I found this old article from 2001:

http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/news/sto ... id013.html

Looks like this was originally on the cards a long time ago, and with Bernie's money to boot! (How the world has changed!) Does anybody know why this was seemingly shelved back then? The new pit / paddock proposed for 2011 - are they going to appear in the same place as this article reports?
Yer.