New points system for 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shrieker

Re: New points system for 2010

Sort of bringing it back from the dead, but I think now that we have so many races, the 2 worst results should be dropped from the drivers championship.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

3jawchuck

Shrieker wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 18:32
Sort of bringing it back from the dead, but I think now that we have so many races, the 2 worst results should be dropped from the drivers championship.
I'd not object to that, it would reduce the damage mishaps and random chance have on the title chase. But, I think it would be seen as going against the reliability/cost cutting craze we're currently in.

I also like the idea of at least a point for all finishers.

notsofast

Except we wouldn't want cars to slow down just so that they can reach the finish and collect a point. But I do like the idea. Perhaps combine it with a 107% rule? If you finish outside the top 10, you get a point if you finish the race within 107% of the winner's time. Given that there's a lot of money at stake in the WCC, even at the lower levels, it would encourage the back markers to focus on reliability.

Jolle

3jawchuck wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 20:36
Shrieker wrote:
I'd not object to that, it would reduce the damage mishaps and random chance have on the title chase. But, I think it would be seen as going against the reliability/cost cutting craze we're currently in.

Everybody points? What about those heroic drives then? Webber's debut... Bianchi in Monaco a few years ago...Mclaren's shame... whats next? a podium with everybody? It's one of the many steps how to "feel" progress (especially in the "good old days") first: qualify, then finish, points!, podium, win and as the final crown: the championship. We already lost qualifying (and pre-qualifying for that matter), finishing isn't really a challenge anymore... does make the steps quite large.

and for scrapping one or two races... come on... it was already ridiculous in the eighties, let alone now. Just imagine how this forum would explode if Hamilton, with less points then Rosberg would have became WC?

3jawchuck

Jolle wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 22:00
3jawchuck wrote:
Shrieker wrote:

Everybody points? What about those heroic drives then? Webber's debut... Bianchi in Monaco a few years ago...Mclaren's shame... whats next? a podium with everybody? It's one of the many steps how to "feel" progress (especially in the "good old days") first: qualify, then finish, points!, podium, win and as the final crown: the championship. We already lost qualifying (and pre-qualifying for that matter), finishing isn't really a challenge anymore... does make the steps quite large.

and for scrapping one or two races... come on... it was already ridiculous in the eighties, let alone now. Just imagine how this forum would explode if Hamilton, with less points then Rosberg would have became WC?
Heroism would net you more than the default 1 point for finishing. Or do you think that heroics would be lacking if a point was offered for lasting the race? If we're supposed to be promoting reliability then this would be one way of doing so, it could also end the silly gearbox and engine saving retirements.

If he'd have won he'd have won because he had more points, because everybodies worst two races are discounted. It would be the same for everyone after all.

OT, but regarding proper qualifying and even pre-qualifying, I'd be all for that if we could somehow get more teams involved. Also, bring back the 12 lap format, none of this silly knockout rubbish.

NathanOlder

Isn't it at this point , someone with far too much free time on thier hands works out who would have been champion over the last 25 years or so since they stopped doing things like this in the championship.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 00:53
Isn't it at this point , someone with far too much free time on thier hands works out who would have been champion over the last 25 years or so since they stopped doing things like this in the championship.
a quick view on the past ten years: once, last year, Hamilton would have won the WC with one point.

Shrieker

Jolle wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 12:42
NathanOlder wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 00:53
a quick view on the past ten years: once, last year, Hamilton would have won the WC with one point.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Zynerji

I like the idea of Player Killer scoring.

Remove blue flags, and the leader gets an extra point if they lap a driver, and finish the race. Lapped drivers are then shown the Black flag, and must immediately pit.

I know this will not be liked by everyone, but would incentivize extending a tyre stint if lap traffic is close, increase the excitement of the leader having to work past slower/ blocking cars, and would allow 2nd-3rd place to close up and not have to battle lap traffic.

It would be a huge strategy adder. I would LOVE to see a single race with rules like this!

mcjamweasel

3jawchuck wrote:
Nope. Points should reward performance, not participation.

Tim.Wright

mcjamweasel wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 20:05
Nope. Points should reward performance, not participation.
Points for all finishers would help ranking the midfield back field teams and drivers which has important commercial implications.

Now you have 10 cars who score no points in any race - so there's no official representation of who's performing better over the course of a season.

For example, if one of the drivers flukes into the points in one race after finishing last all season they will come out with a higher position than a driver who finished 11th every race which obviously doesn't make sense.
Not the engineer at Force India

3jawchuck

Even better, offer a scale of points for the whole field. Top 10 get a significant haul, probably even more than now. Then, last gets 1 point and each position up until you get to 11th gets an extra point. That way you are not only rewarding reliability but also rewarding the fights and skillful driving outside of the top 10.

Shrieker

Or without messing with it too much, you can go down to 13th position. 6th place gets 8 points, you can go 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 down to 13th after that.

1 point for lucky 13th O:)
-Atatürk

marmer

Lapped cars getting eliminated and no blue flags so they can defend would be cool to try.
Would keep there positions and any points they are eligible for while also offering extra points per car lapped.

If a car was eliminated on lap 40 all cars that make lap 40 would get a point

adrianjordan

No participation points,that's too much like everyone getting a medal on sports day at school.

This is supposed to be cut throat competition of the highest order. Who cares if the smaller teams don't have points, they still get ranked by finishing position anyway in terms of WCC position and therefore commercial income.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️