New points system for 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
3jawchuck

Re: New points system for 2010

adrianjordan wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 09:44
No participation points,that's too much like everyone getting a medal on sports day at school.

This is supposed to be cut throat competition of the highest order. Who cares if the smaller teams don't have points, they still get ranked by finishing position anyway in terms of WCC position and therefore commercial income.
Pointless teams are ranked on their highest finishing position, not on their overall consistency, reliability or season long positioning.

I don't understand this idea that points for finishing is somehow against the point of competition and somehow not cutthroat. If anything it would become more so if each position you gained, gained you an extra point. Do you think that if the last finisher got a point then the front runners would just give up being cutthroat competitors? Do you think the field will just idly parade around as if to say "well, every finisher at least gets a point, lets not bother racing anymore"?

This at least applies to what I suggested earlier:
"Points for everyone who finishes. The top 10 get a significant haul, at least 20 more than now for each position. Then, last gets 1 point and each position up until 11th gets an extra point. That way you are not only rewarding reliability but also rewarding the fights and skillful driving outside of the top 10."

SectorOne

Re: New points system for 2010

I think points should be given out to all teams.

Right now a team could finish a race in 11th and then have 19 DNFs and beat a team with 20 12th places.
Its like two completely different championships right now, one where consistency matters and one where only highest position counts.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"