New points system for 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mcdenife

Re: FIA suggests new points system

Ciro, got into work hung-bloody-over (xmas party last nite) saw your post and, dagnabit, you 've only just gone and made my day, mon ami. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Still like to know how you do it though.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Richard

mcdenife wrote:Ciro, got into work hung-bloody-over (xmas party last nite) saw your post and, dagnabit, you 've only just gone and made my day, mon ami. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Still like to know how you do it though.
How to do "it"? You floss you teeth and arrange for a waiting girlfriend. Not sure what happened after that because Ciro closed the bedroom door :shock:

xpensive

I have installed a revolving door for good measure.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

-KMR_NH-

Vasco wrote:Hell yeah!! Bring it on. We need some real racing and not this crap of picking up points without taking risks.
Do you really believe you'll get racing just from changing the point system? I don't think so. There are only some rare cases in which drivers really go for finishing instead of fighting for points. Generally, this is not the case cuz if you can't overtake the changed point system won't help you.

Personally, I don't like it.
Kimi Räikkönen
Nico Hülkenberg

dumrick

raceman wrote:I like this idea. At least there is bigger difference between the podiumers, so that they will think before "settling" for a track position in view of further Championship. :P So, we will have tough and nail-biting [-o< racing to actually win a race rather than to settle.....!
What??? The only podium position made slightly more appealing is 3rd place, or don't you read your fellow forumers?
richard_leeds wrote:Hold your horses - it is within a whisker of the current point system:

New = 91 points in total
Old = 39 points in total

Pos - New% - Old %
1st - 26% - 26%
2nd - 21% - 21%
3rd - 16% - 15%
4th - 11% - 13%
5th - 8% - 10%
6th - 6% - 8%
7th - 5% - 5%
8th - 3% - 3%
9th - 2% - 0%
10th - 1% - 0%
Points systems are like circuits: they exist before of the racing and condition it. Racing tactics will take it in consideration and adjust. Another thing, there are infinite possibilities of point distribution, so a discussion about this is infinite in nature. Therefore, I shall not post in this thread anymore.

donskar

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Totally absurd, why is the difference between 8th & 7th bigger than between 7th & 6th? And why is the differnce between 3rd & 4th the same as the difference between 1st & 2nd.

another totally arbitrary points system, with no basis in mathematics, that does not give enough empphasis on WINNING! What F1 is all about.
What's wrong with it? It was proposed by FIA, not FOTA.
Well done!
=D> =D> =D>
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

PlatinumZealot

I don't know about you guys but I like the NASCAR scheme. Spread the points out over the whole field only some of the last positions gets zero points. That way a guy in 20th will want to fight for 19th instead of hoping to get and unrealistic 10 place gain to 10th.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

The new points system is confirmed.

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3 ... 56,00.html

The only drawback to me is these new points will affect the career points tallies.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mx_tifoso

n smikle wrote:The new points system is confirmed.

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3 ... 56,00.html

The only drawback to me is these new points will affect the career points tallies.
Can't you link to our own news?

Or just look up to the top of this page.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

PlatinumZealot

Oh well.. 8)

My own news?

Lewis Hamilton approves of the new points system.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ISLAMATRON

I guess the teams unanimously agreed since the rules state that they must if the change is within 1 year of the season.

lkocev

I guess that its difficult to make a serious post in this thread now after it has had the piss taken out of it. But in any case I'll try...

If one of the objectives of this points system is to give bigger reward to the winning driver, then I don't really think it is achieving it. The points difference between 1st & 2nd, is the same as the points difference between 2nd & 3rd, (or 3rd & 4th for that matter) ... It has more or less (as pointed out in another post) only inflated the points by 250%. If your aim is to award the winning driver, create incentive to win, then the biggest points difference needs to be between 1st and 2nd.

I guess they have more teams so perhaps should give more points to balance out, but I don't really like it. It should always be difficult to get points in F1, Nascar style is crappy communist style, I hope F1 never goes there. Personally I don't see the attraction of more teams in F1, I think a 10 team, 20 car grid is perfect, but that is a different matter and different discussion.

And lastly, it seems a bit silly to award 8, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1 for positons 5 through 10. I'm sure most people would agree that 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 seems a little bit more logical.

In any case it doesn't change the challenge of becoming F1 champion, accumulate the most points in a season. I think that is good to reward both good agressive driving and good conservative driving. I don't think it really changes anything for the drivers, they still need to do the best they can with what they have.

raceman

dumrick wrote:
raceman wrote:I like this idea. At least there is bigger difference between the podiumers, so that they will think before "settling" for a track position in view of further Championship. :P So, we will have tough and nail-biting [-o< racing to actually win a race rather than to settle.....!
What??? The only podium position made slightly more appealing is 3rd place, or don't you read your fellow forumers?
I do read my fellow forumers (don't need directions), but there is 5-point difference between 1st and 2nd place finish and it is better than previous 2 points! appealing or not appealing is the drivers' problem and point of view to look at races; but for us, it's just good 'coz drivers will take more risks now to overtake and we will see more thrilling races - that's it!

raceman

n smikle wrote:Lewis Hamilton approves of the new points system.

with due respect to you n smikle,

who is he to approve or disapprove??

timbo

raceman wrote:I do read my fellow forumers (don't need directions), but there is 5-point difference between 1st and 2nd place finish and it is better than previous 2 points! appealing or not appealing is the drivers' problem and point of view to look at races; but for us, it's just good 'coz drivers will take more risks now to overtake and we will see more thrilling races - that's it!
Actually, it was said before in this thread, but 25/20=10/8
So...