New points system for 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Re: FIA suggests new points system

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:actually the pro ferrari loonies put enough up bullshit around here, especially you Donskar
Islam, let's consider hypothetical situation that Luca would proclaim Lewis as the best driver. Your reaction? :wink:

My reaction? My reaction is who cares what that asshole thinks, he is clearly an imbecile of the highest degree.

I dont care who he thinks is the best driver, I care about how every move he makes has a negative effect on F1.

Point in case... here is Luca criticizing the FIA for the testing ban when that was clearly a FOTA initiative, of which he was the president(more like a dictator actually)
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80687

ESPImperium

Personally i have liked this idea in the past, the fastest needs to be rewarded, but i also think the guys outside the points posistions need some sort of payback for being in the race.

P1 = 20
P2 = 15
P3 = 12
P4 = 10
P5 = 8
P6 = 6
P7 = 5
P8 = 4
P9 = 3
P10 = 1

Fastest Lap = 2 Points (For the fastest lap inside points paying posistions)
Pole Posistion = 3 Points (But that person has to start with prime (hard) tyres, exept in difficuld climatic conditions)
Most Overtakes = 2 points (For the guy that is outside the points that has improved the most from their grid posistion. EG; Starts from P20 and finishes P12, however if a person starts P18 and finished P8, the guy in P20 gets the points)

If we want a racing structure to be close, thrughout the racing posistions and drivers, you need to reward the main points places, fastest and pole, but you need to give the guys lower down something to race for. And this will tighten up the racing througout the race and make the raceing more intresting. Reward bravery of driving, try and get those Mansell - Senna wheel bashing moments back again.

timbo

ISLAMATRON wrote:Point in case... here is Luca criticizing the FIA for the testing ban when that was clearly a FOTA initiative, of which he was the president(more like a dictator actually)
I'm not seeing how he is blaming FIA for a test ban.

ISLAMATRON

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Point in case... here is Luca criticizing the FIA for the testing ban when that was clearly a FOTA initiative, of which he was the president(more like a dictator actually)
I'm not seeing how he is blaming FIA for a test ban.
Who does he blame for everything? He is complaining about the testing ban when he was the president of FOTA, the body who put the testing ban in place. The FIA only agreed to FOTA's suggestion of it.
"Not being allowed to have Felipe [Massa] test a car, for me, is against the very nature of the sport...
Di Montezemolo believes some of the cost-cutting regulations, like the current testing ban, have gone too far.
"Years ago we could test every day, now not at all," he explained. "You need a balance.
Then his goes on to ramble how the races might be too long... I have no doubt he would try to make the races shorter, Hopefully Todt can counter his stupidity with some common sense.

WhiteBlue

Montezemolo has no credibility at all. He just looks at what suits Ferrari. His proposal to run three cars would have been bad for F1. Running shorter races is also a foolish idea. The race format is supposed to provide entertainment for some serious money that people pay for tickets. It will not please the fans to have cut race distance from 300 km to less.

I don't see a reason to change the points system in the first place. If they do it to help the new teams so be it. If they make further changes like points for pole and fastest laps we simply further downgrade the value of points earned in the race. I don't care much about it if they do it or not. In my view they should have kept the point system as it was in 2004.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet

Re: New points system for 2010

Shorter races should help Ferrari since their cars seem to have more trouble finishing races than when RB and MS and JT were around.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ISLAMATRON

Points system still under review...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80837

maybe giving the winner a bigger seperation, also...
"In the agenda we do not only have the fact that we have to re-seed the scoring system, but also there may be other issues that may be important, linked to the use of tyres, linked to the number of pitstops. This is going to be defined by the end of January.
"[Qualifying] should remain the same as a system," said Domenicali. "Clearly the cars will do qualifying without a fuel load. The discussion is about the tyres which can be used and if the tyres used in Q3 have to be used at the start of the race."
I've always thought it would be an interesting strategy decision to make teams start the race on the same type of tire(not the exact same tires which would be worn out) that they qualed on.

Then he goes on to ramble about third cars again, as Ferrari always does.
Last edited by ISLAMATRON on 14 Jan 2010, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

ISLAMATRON

Ecclestone chimes in...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80852
"I think it would be very easy for us on each circuit to have an area where you could gain a bit of time so you could overtake - a shortcut if you like - which a driver could use five times during the race, so it would stop people getting stuck behind somebody," he suggested.

"It's good for TV, good for the TV commentators, they could talk about somebody having three [shortcuts] left and somebody else having two and what's going to happen and so on."
Hilarious!!!! And I'm sure you'd get more shortcuts than the other teams if your cars were painted red and also get paid more money from FOM for using them.

Pandamasque

Lol this is like rallycross :mrgreen:

WhiteBlue

The obvious defect of shortcutting would be even less real overtaking, it would be back to passing in the pit lane more or less. I would definitely first see how the season unfolds without it. If the racing becomes too processional you can still give it a try.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ISLAMATRON

WhiteBlue wrote:The obvious defect of shortcutting would be even less real overtaking, it would be back to passing in the pit lane more or less. I would definitely first see how the season unfolds without it. If the racing becomes too processional you can still give it a try.
Instead of just giving things a try, like they did for several years with the qual system, why dont they try these things out in GP2 or GP3 an see how they work there first? Isn't that part of why GP2 was created?

tarzoon

ISLAMATRON wrote:Ecclestone chimes in...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80852
"I think it would be very easy for us on each circuit to have an area where you could gain a bit of time so you could overtake - a shortcut if you like - which a driver could use five times during the race, so it would stop people getting stuck behind somebody," he suggested.

"It's good for TV, good for the TV commentators, they could talk about somebody having three [shortcuts] left and somebody else having two and what's going to happen and so on."
Hilarious!!!! And I'm sure you'd get more shortcuts than the other teams if your cars were painted red and also get paid more money from FOM for using them.
Hilarious?! I've seen monty python sketches that were more serious than this. I can't believe this guy is still the F1 supremo... he lost the plot.

Might as well just make 26 parallel tracks.

timbo

tarzoon wrote:Might as well just make 26 parallel tracks.
Who cares... Schumacher still wins!
I mean "Sergeant" :wink:

ESPImperium

Shortcuts, lets just go racing on ovals then. Lets just cut out more or less corners all together that way. Hilarious idea!!!

What we need is a clear keastone change in cuircuit design, but as ive said before we need to get the following arround a table to get the best tracks for the modren F1 era;

Track Designers - They need to get their act together and design fast harrowing tracks that are good for FOM to give to the end user.
Race Drivers - Need to help designers of both car and track to get the best out of the car.
Car Engineers - Support and aid their drivers, arguably better, to get every last 0.1 of a second out of the car every lap.
Car Designers - Design better cars, more to letter of the law, with no grey areas.
FIA - As Car Designers, but be able to close loopholes quicker, have a quicker and more effective sporting code, be more proactive to close loopholes... Pre Season scruteneering??? Stop the DDD Debacle of 09 before the season starts is one thing id do.
FOM - Presureise the Track Designers to produce a more open track layout thats better and more fun for drivers and fans, whilst giving maximum exposure to sponsors.
FOTA - Work together, clear even more ground for teams to work "closer" and look for the best posible action to preserve the sport and keep the costs of the sport under even tighter control.

Basically, everyone should do their job right, and not forget that without the fans, there really is no sport.

hasalard

"The other thing that's bad, in the seventies whoever was in the top six places at half distance, you could guarantee that by the end of the race only three of them would be there - and now all six are there. You don't get people stopping anymore."

Ecclestone complaining on the reliability of the cars :? ? What a mess, first he complained about the gaps in the points system then prey for unreliable cars.Even now, drivers willing to settle to their race positions and give up figthing for more; can't think what may happen if they have unreliable cars at their disposals.

Why deal with points system? Just bring the races to an end after the second pit stops, after all nothing happens after them :x