Schumacher GP2 test

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet

Re: Schumacher GP2 test

We didn't need to. Any dolt can tell it's quite obviously a thinly veiled F1 car, and the ruthless efficiency at Mercedes has invented a holographic projection system to make it appear as a GP2 car.

Obvious as the back of my hand...
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Richard

WhiteBlue wrote:Richard, his race engineer isn't Jock Clear. It is Andrew Shovlin according to James Allan.
Good spot, that's what I had in mind, but errors do tend to slip through sometimes (especially as I did that post on my mobile).

Jock Clear is not going to be his engineer, as discussed elsewhere with some rather juicy quotes about Schumi's character traits! #-o

Ray

Huh. I expected the Ferrari red to go away and a little more German influence to his helmet. Especially being a German in the Mercedes team.

mx_tifoso

Ray wrote:Huh. I expected the Ferrari red to go away and a little more German influence to his helmet. Especially being a German in the Mercedes team.
I doubt it's the final design.

Unless the red will remain as a tribute to Ferrari.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

DaveKillens

mx_tifosi wrote:Unless the red will remain as a tribute to Ferrari.
Or maybe... since he is displaying his seven stars (for each WDC), Monty might have tried to insist that Michael wasn't able to use 5 of them, since those 5 were earned while under Ferrari employ. Of course, Michael might have struck a compromise where he could use all 7 but only with the blessing of Ferrari if he did it in Marinello red. Just my theory.

Nice to see Michael back on track, even in a GP2 car painted in as generic a scheme as possible. Lap times don't mean squat in this situation, that will come later. What is important for Michael to work out a lot of things beforehand, such as the communications. Health-wise, my only concern is whether Michael's old body is up to sustaining strength and concentration for an entire race.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Ray

I figured it was an interim helmet design but figured that Mercedes wanted him to disassociate himself with Ferrari. And the very first thought I had seeing that helmet was what I posted. 'How could he have such a red helmet under a Mercedes contract?'. And as far as I can see Dave all seven are there and he might have just had that Mercedes emblem on there as a sticker and that maybe they don't have a final paint scheme for the car or sponsorship lined up completely and didn't want to give him some random paint job on his helmet. But your theory is probably closer.

Good to see him back in a car and pretty close on pace at a cold and damp track. Dude never lost the touch!

ISLAMATRON

looks more orange than red to me... ddnt he start his career with that type of orange?

Mystery Steve

Are the team owners allowed to restrict helmet designs? I was under the impression that the drivers were allowed to use whatever design they pleased, within reason of course.

Why would Ferrari be able to throw a tantrum over him putting stars on his helmet? Maybe MS just likes the color red?

mx_tifoso

Mystery Steve wrote:Why would Ferrari be able to throw a tantrum over him putting stars on his helmet? Maybe MS just likes the color red?
They aren't, it was just Dave's theory.
ISLAMATRON wrote:looks more orange than red to me... ddnt he start his career with that type of orange?
It's been like that for some time now. I don't think he changed it to suit the new red Ferrari have been using since a few years back (mid 2007?).
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

WhiteBlue

A red helmet would be sensible as he would make sure people identify him easily in the car. I'm not convinced though that this is the final design. In the past he changed his helmet colors as a tribute to the team that brought him success. It rests to be seen if he will go away from red. I had expected to see his old helmet design with blue top and German colors at the side and rear.

http://www.motorsport-total.com/videos/f1/2322
A German language video interview with Michael after the GP2 test day1
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 13 Jan 2010, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

flynfrog

some drivers are superstitious and wouldn't change a design that brought them 7 tittles no matter what the new teams colors are

Like driving a green car at indy

Fil

I'd like to see him return to an '01-style, but replacing the orangey-red top & bottom with silver.. for Mercedes, & obviously a white with black & teal sponsor stripe for Petronas.

Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

WhiteBlue

I like the traditional design
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

DaveKillens

It was just a theory, and tenuous at best.

But one thing is true, that teams are very sensitive about image and how the public perceive them. And although right now Michael's helmet has a strong red to it, the people at Mercedes most likely aren't happy about it. They would rather see silver, which fans can associate to Mercedes, than red, which obviously makes any and all fans think Ferrari. I do expect that when the season starts, Michael's helmet will have more silver on it than red.

I wonder who supplied that GP2 car for Michael?

Where it started, Michael in his Jordan at the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

WhiteBlue

DaveKillens wrote: I wonder who supplied that GP2 car for Michael?
The car was provided by the GP2 organization and earlier speculation said it was a super nova team car.