Alonso: I've never asked to be number one

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vall

Alonso: I've never asked to be number one

I guess this has been discussed many times already, but anyway:

http://www.f1technical.net/news/14008

jon-mullen

Re: Alonso: I've never asked to be number one

...but I am anyway. Snap.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

ISLAMATRON

haha... laughable

Show us the contracts 'Lonso or shut the eff up

mx_tifoso

Thanks Vall, you've opened Pandora's box...

While he may not have asked for it, he may have earned and/or expected it There's a difference.

Either way, this subject has been beaten to death and he has reason to be tired of the same sh*t, just like many of us here on the forums.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Giblet

Ah yes... some more forum fodder to digest and expel.

No number one, but someone gets the number one roll hoop/camera mount.

A coin flip? Given to Massa as the more experienced SF driver, or just given to Alonso and not talked about? An arm wrestling match?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Ray

How could he not get number one status with those eyebrows?

Fil

well, semantically speaking, 'asking' & 'demanding' are two different things.. :lol:
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Mr Alcatraz

The Scuderia has instituted the "don't ask don't tell" policy :lol:
Wait a second! I'm putting down my own team :x
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

WhiteBlue

If Ferrari have sense they will continue to award team strategy only on a as needed basis as they have done in the past.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

nipo

I immediately had a good feeling with every part of the team and everybody was extremely available for me, trying to satisfy my needs and my proposals as good as possible.
Apparently he is still expected to be served like a king. While other drivers will generally praise his new team saying things like the factory is impressive, people are motivated, atmosphere is fantastic, etc., the first thing he chooses to mention is "good, these guys OBEY me."

There's more to come from him, for sure.

This will probably be the first season I don't want a particular red car to win.

allan

This isn't a new thing for Fernando, and we all know it.
I'm not gonna hide it, I was never a big fan of him, mainly because of him lacking team spirit, but boy the guy is talented. He is, without any doubt, the best driver in the field now... and yes, that includes the 41 years old man!

To be fair though, he did refer to his experience at Mclaren when he spoke about giving 110% to the team. Now, one might argue that Mclaren did offer him a winning car in 07, but we also know that they lost the championship with lewis because of the many mistakes he (Lewis) made in the last 2 races. Had they favored Alonso, say by giving him the first pick in terms of fuel strategy, they would have won the championship for sure.

Enough with the if's now, I do expect Ferrari to commit the errors they showed in the last 3 years, ever since Schumi and Brawn left the team, and we will know for sure if Alonso is a real team player or if he's still the same cry-baby.

Just keep in mind Schumi's reaction after his engine broke in the Japanese gp, which probably cost him his 8th championship, and let's wait and see what Alonso would do in Schumacher's shoes.

Mr Alcatraz

nipo wrote:
I immediately had a good feeling with every part of the team and everybody was extremely available for me, trying to satisfy my needs and my proposals as good as possible.
Apparently he is still expected to be served like a king.

There's more to come from him, for sure.

This will probably be the first season I don't want a particular red car to win.
I think your reading a little too much into, and projecting too much out of that statement. JMVHO [-X
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

ringo

allan wrote:This isn't a new thing for Fernando, and we all know it.
I'm not gonna hide it, I was never a big fan of him, mainly because of him lacking team spirit, but boy the guy is talented. He is, without any doubt, the best driver in the field now... and yes, that includes the 41 years old man!

To be fair though, he did refer to his experience at Mclaren when he spoke about giving 110% to the team. Now, one might argue that Mclaren did offer him a winning car in 07, but we also know that they lost the championship with lewis because of the many mistakes he (Lewis) made in the last 2 races. Had they favored Alonso, say by giving him the first pick in terms of fuel strategy, they would have won the championship for sure.

Enough with the if's now, I do expect Ferrari to commit the errors they showed in the last 3 years, ever since Schumi and Brawn left the team, and we will know for sure if Alonso is a real team player or if he's still the same cry-baby.

Just keep in mind Schumi's reaction after his engine broke in the Japanese gp, which probably cost him his 8th championship, and let's wait and see what Alonso would do in Schumacher's shoes.
Well i think either Lewis or Alonso could have won in 2007 if there was more team work between the 2 drivers on track. Those unlucky mistakes were not destined to happen, both rookie and champ were equally capable so Mclaren's equal treatment was the right judgment. Let's hope Alonso is willing to help Massa if it so happens that Massa is the only one with a real chance of winning the WDC later in the season. I find support from a team mate is very important in the last races, Heiki's lack thereof made this very obvious in 2008. If Alonso gets selfish it can be bad for Ferrari.
He was not compelled to help any team mate throughout his career, i don't think he would help Massa if needs be; to him any form of team work is playing a #2 role.
For Sure!!

vall

ringo wrote:
allan wrote:This isn't a new thing for Fernando, and we all know it.

Well i think either Lewis or Alonso could have won in 2007 if there was more team work between the 2 drivers on track. Those unlucky mistakes were not destined to happen, both rookie and champ were equally capable so Mclaren's equal treatment was the right judgment. Let's hope Alonso is willing to help Massa if it so happens that Massa is the only one with a real chance of winning the WDC later in the season. I find support from a team mate is very important in the last races, Heiki's lack thereof made this very obvious in 2008. If Alonso gets selfish it can be bad for Ferrari.
He was not compelled to help any team mate throughout his career, i don't think he would help Massa if needs be; to him any form of team work is playing a #2 role.
Remember, Kimi and Massa did not stated helping each other until one of them lost mathematical possibility to win the WDC. As far as I remember Alonso was never in such a situation in 2007. Late in the season the team clearly favored the other driver in terms of strategy and everything, which "helped" him be behind. So, why would you blame Alonso for not helping his teammate when Alonso himself still could win the WDC? Does not make sense to me.

nipo

Tazio wrote:I think your reading a little too much into, and projecting too much out of that statement. JMVHO [-X
Nope. Not if you look at his history which matches perfectly with his choice of words: "satisfy my needs".

Another quote:
What I do is work 110 per cent with the team and if the team is not working 110 per cent too it's not right
You know, teamwork is not like you give 110% and expect the team to give you 110% blah blah blah. Yes, that is logically correct, but the mentality of teamwork is actually "together, we give out 110%". You can easily see his mentality of distancing himself with the rest of the team, which he did pretty well at both Renault and McLaren (for God's sake he SOLD the latter team in the spy scandal!!!).

That he has talent I do not doubt. And actually I do not care.