New 2010 Mercedes Petronas Livery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
freedom_honda

Re: Mercedes-Petronas RB1

I don't like the new colour =[ I think it's pretty boring and ugly. The dark silver is not a good colour. I miss the yellow and black of the BGP-001

Fil

meves wrote:Have they left the packing tape on the mirrors?
umm, that's a Brawn GP sponsor from 2009..

i for one like the new livery.
Mercedes could not possibly be expected to change from its silver, as much as Ferrari could not be expected to ever change from red.

They've pushed the boundaries of what they could do by adding the subtle, yet modern black speed trails along the whole body giving the dirty silver effect.
Over the course of a race, as the car gets dirtier this'll look better & better i think

The added front wing turquoise stripe is very clever; a Malboro-like effect, as without any text, we all know its identity as Petronas.

Admittedly, the black Mercedes spray-can stripe is a little odd in shape, at least it matches the spray-can effect on the nose.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

ringo

The car may look better in sun light.
The black nose is kind of like the Mclaren's red nose IMO. I don't think mercedes had much creativity when designing this thing.

Now that i look at it the black parts are partly exposed carbon fiber with a slight gradient of of black paint.
For Sure!!

gibells

I guess the 'dirtied silver' effect is to give the effect of bare or brushed aluminium. I like it. It's more convincing than McLarens efforts were. And I think you're right. It will look great in the sunlight.

Pandamasque

I love the brushed aluminium effect and the colour on the whole. I but the black and turquoise parts are horrid. Just put a neat turquoise stripe somewhere if that's absolutely necessary and paint the wings and all the appendages black so that the car actually looks like an arrow. That would be perfect.

ESPImperium

I really like the new colour. Will stand out under the sun of Bahrain at Round 1.

And the good thing about the Petronas colours on the car is that it will make the Mercedes GP stand out from the McLaren colours on my data sheets.

horse

I think the black on the nose makes it look all droopy. It looks like a car possibly designed on (or by?) goofy. I suppose if the new car does not have the BGP001 nose, then it won't matter so much.

Anyway, I personally think they've overdone it. Probably thought they might end up looking like a McLaren so had to stuff as many shades of grey into the car as possible. In daylight it will just look a white, dirty car, so why not just paint it white?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Fil

Actually, i've now found out the black is more clever than initial thoughts!

As ringo alluded, rather than it being painted on, the black is in fact exposed carbon fibre.. the modern-day exposed skin.. obviously paying homage to their 1934 history of stripping the paint back.. once to aluminium, today to carbon fibre!

that explains the random shape of the rip on the engine cover too.

awesome!!
horse wrote:In daylight it will just look a white, dirty car, so why not just paint it white?
#-o Because it is Mercedes!
Same reason why Ferrari didn't change from red when Williams were sponsored by Winfield in '99..
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

xpensive

Black carbonfiber is cool, but white is cooler;

The Koenigsegg Trevita - The Shimmering Diamond.

When sunlight hits the car, it sparkles like millions of silvery white diamonds infused inside the visible weave bodywork.
Trevita is an abbreviation in Swedish and translates into - three whites. The Koenigsegg visible carbon weave body work is renowned around the globe for its perfection and uniqueness. However, so far it has only been possible to utilize the classic black carbonfibres.

As Koenigsegg always strives to create new unique technologies and solutions, we have now reached a new milestone -The Koenigsegg Proprietary Diamond Weave.

By utilising a new and unique method, Koenigsegg has managed to coat fibers with a diamond finish. The process was fully developed at Koenigsegg headquarters in Ängelholm Sweden, where the fiber treatment is conducted carefully in small quantities, prior to further processing the prepreg material.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

horse

Fil wrote:Because it is Mercedes!
Yeah, but they were plain silver cars, not some gradient that looks like Top Gear chucked a tin of black paint at it and got DC to drive it round for a bit. It couldn't have been that hard to paint it Mercedes silver if they were not trying to avoid looking like a McLaren.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

meves

Fil wrote:
meves wrote:Have they left the packing tape on the mirrors?
umm, that's a Brawn GP sponsor from 2009..

i for one like the new livery.
Mercedes could not possibly be expected to change from its silver, as much as Ferrari could not be expected to ever change from red.

They've pushed the boundaries of what they could do by adding the subtle, yet modern black speed trails along the whole body giving the dirty silver effect.
Over the course of a race, as the car gets dirtier this'll look better & better i think

The added front wing turquoise stripe is very clever; a Malboro-like effect, as without any text, we all know its identity as Petronas.

Admittedly, the black Mercedes spray-can stripe is a little odd in shape, at least it matches the spray-can effect on the nose.
Right that explains it, I'm not sure it's the best branding ever but I suppose it made me look!

I'm not sure about the black splodge on the engine cover to be honest it looks like they put the logo on and then though oh c*$p you can't see it, quick give it a dark background. But other than that I guess they were a little limited with Mclaren being silver and I'm sure that Mclaren haven't been keeping Merc in touch with their branding ideas now they're the competition...

Fil

meves wrote:..I'm sure that Mclaren haven't been keeping Merc in touch with their branding ideas now they're the competition...
Just as a little OT info, the McLaren reflective livery was a bit of cunning marketing hype for their official supplier Sikkens Paints.

ESPImperium

Some of the guests at the "launch":

Some other pics:

Confused_Andy

Its quite interesting really, the silver is the can effect and the black is still the carbon weave.

Still as a graphic designer I've seen nicer ways of making a logo stand out, that black bit on the engine cover is hideous. Ruined the best looking car of 2009.

Bit weird to see Whitmarsh there...

manchild

Looks like it's been done by same designer who made ING livery for Renault, while being drunk, and with only 50 euros budget for spray cans. This is a joke. I've seen better graffiti on some local garbage containers.

EDIT: When Ferrari did this last time, it was when the pope died. :lol: