New 2010 Mercedes Petronas Livery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tarzoon

Re: Mercedes-Petronas RB1

=D> =D>

So many pundits and critics. I'm still searching for the thread where everyone will agree that it's a good design, whether paint scheme or any other. You are the kind of guys that won't ever go to bed with Angelina Jolie just because she painted her nails blue once.

Oh! and personally, I like it.

Confused_Andy

I hate blue, what a bitch.

Fil

Schumi keeps his red helmet.. :?:

Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

astracrazy

Why not last years design, this years colors?

yellow/black now turquoise/black
white now brushed silver

and keep the black nose.

allan

that's surprising isn't it?
Do you think he's trying to show some loyalty to Ferrari?
I have to admit though, the helmet color would look awful on that beautiful livery
I like his new cap design though
EDIT: I don't know why you guys hate this livery so much. How is it different from the one Mclaren used between 98-2005? just a little more silver here and there

outer_bongolia

I have to admit I definitely dislike it.

McLaren gets to keep the shiny silver, and the dull one goes to Merc? hmmm...
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

WhiteBlue

Re: Mercedes-Petronas MGP W01

The livery is largely as expected. They have added more carbon black than I thought but the Petronas logo appears in black as well. To bring the Petronas colors in a different design element was clever.

The Schumacher helmet design was obviously done for efficiency. Everybody will be able to see who is coming when he needs to pass a car. It also steps out nicely with the Aabar logo which signals the financial muscle behind the team.

Not a bad job I think. The car stands out and will be easily recognizable as a silver arrow. Sponsors will know that they will all have the same logo color. So there will nor be an argfument about that.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 25 Jan 2010, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

bjpower

allan wrote:that's surprising isn't it?
Do you think he's trying to show some loyalty to Ferrari?
I have to admit though, the helmet color would look awful on that beautiful livery
I like his new cap design though
EDIT: I don't know why you guys hate this livery so much. How is it different from the one Mclaren used between 98-2005? just a little more silver here and there
its not the silver. its the brushed affect on the silver.
it really looks cheep and crap. it may look better if it was done proplerly

sticky667

I can't say I'm a fan of it. I was hoping they would go with a bit more mint.

wesley123

just saw it and i have to say, wow the livery is really nice, the livery is something new by using paintbrush effects.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pup
Pup

Seems pretty dull to me. The swirly paint just makes the car look dirty from a distance. Maybe in sunlight, it looks better. And hopefully more silvery - it looks pearly-white in these pics. At first glance, I thought they'd painted the car in some kind of winter camouflage scheme! :lol:

tarzoon

bjpower wrote: its not the silver. its the brushed affect on the silver.
it really looks cheep and crap. it may look better if it was done proplerly
from your comment it is possible to assume that you are both an artist and a car painter. And you would do a much better job painting the car in silver.

When the McMerc with the very shiny scheme was launched, everyone started saying it would reflect a lot of sunlight, and all sorts of cr@p, and all in all it is really cool.

I'm looking forward to see this paint job on the track under sunlight. I'm guessing these photos and light conditions are not that trustworthy.

PlatinumZealot

Looks wicked to me.. better than anything from last year.

The front wing looks like they were using silver coloured carbon fibre in it if there is such a thing.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

The FOZ

Carbon fiber is black.

The stuff commonly (and incorrectly) called "silver carbon fiber" is fiberglass with a very thin layer of aluminum deposited on the surface. The trade name is Texalium, by Hexcel. It has virtually no physical properties of merit in F1 (except for possibly thermal reflectivity and/or conductivity), so it's safe to say that it isn't being used here.

More likely, it would be a semi-translucent silver paint over the bare carbon that allows only limited light reflection. This keeps the look of carbon fiber, but allows it to look like any color.

Alternatively, it could be an entirely airbrushed effect. That would give the look, some depth, and minimal weight gain. But it would be very labor intensive.

Koenigsegg did release a car that used diamond-coated carbon fiber for the outer cosmetic layer, but I doubt that is what we're seeing on this car.

Since this is the BGP001, I bet it's a paint job. I can't imagine them having built an obsolete front wing just for the sake of a show//launch car.

Ian P.

I can't believe it..... some folks are so desperate for F1 news that we are already on the 4th page of the post and all we have are fuzzy pictures of a painted 2009 car to fuss over......

Patience......the news and the new cars will come.....but this isn't it.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."