New 2010 Mercedes Petronas Livery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andartop

Re: Mercedes-Petronas MGP W01

It's obvious they were influenced by their #1 driver's famous taste in dressing.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

bhall

High-res.

jamsbong

Re: Mercedes-Petronas RB1

Pandamasque wrote:Image

I love the brushed aluminium effect and the colour on the whole. I but the black and turquoise parts are horrid. Just put a neat turquoise stripe somewhere if that's absolutely necessary and paint the wings and all the appendages black so that the car actually looks like an arrow. That would be perfect.
I thought all aero winglets on car body is banned. How come there are still present on top of the car (near engine intake) and in front of the radiator inlets?

Fil

jamsbong wrote:I thought all aero winglets on car body is banned. How come there are still present on top of the car (near engine intake) and in front of the radiator inlets?
apart from the fact that the rules allow these bits, this is the old 2009 Brawn car. Don't worry about its shape, design or features.

This was a livery & branding launch only.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

The FOZ

The FOZ wrote:Carbon fiber is black.

The stuff commonly (and incorrectly) called "silver carbon fiber" is fiberglass with a very thin layer of aluminum deposited on the surface. The trade name is Texalium, by Hexcel. It has virtually no physical properties of merit in F1 (except for possibly thermal reflectivity and/or conductivity), so it's safe to say that it isn't being used here.

More likely, it would be a semi-translucent silver paint over the bare carbon that allows only limited light reflection. This keeps the look of carbon fiber, but allows it to look like any color.

Alternatively, it could be an entirely airbrushed effect. That would give the look, some depth, and minimal weight gain. But it would be very labor intensive.

Koenigsegg did release a car that used diamond-coated carbon fiber for the outer cosmetic layer, but I doubt that is what we're seeing on this car.

Since this is the BGP001, I bet it's a paint job. I can't imagine them having built an obsolete front wing just for the sake of a show//launch car.
Now that I've seen the high-res pictures, it could be texalium, because its only on a few parts, all of which could have been produced and retrofitted onto the old car.

Lookup75

I love it!

Think the paint job is fantastic

Cant wait to see the new car

timd

As i understand it those flip ups are there because its "the mirrors mount" :)

edit: doh no im wrong but cant delete post so i have no idea why those are allowed :)
jamsbong wrote:

I love the brushed aluminium effect and the colour on the whole. I but the black and turquoise parts are horrid. Just put a neat turquoise stripe somewhere if that's absolutely necessary and paint the wings and all the appendages black so that the car actually looks like an arrow. That would be perfect.
I thought all aero winglets on car body is banned. How come there are still present on top of the car (near engine intake) and in front of the radiator inlets?

WhiteBlue

timd wrote:As i understand it those flip ups are there because its "the mirrors mount" :)

edit: doh no im wrong but cant delete post so i have no idea why those are allowed :)
jamsbong wrote:

It is simply a zone on the car where they allowed this kind of aero devices to sprout. Historically one used to have a turning vane there but it quickly got a bit out of hand.

PS: Britney is looking pretty in this pic. 8) :wink:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

fenix4life

Fil wrote:
jamsbong wrote:I thought all aero winglets on car body is banned. How come there are still present on top of the car (near engine intake) and in front of the radiator inlets?
apart from the fact that the rules allow these bits, this is the old 2009 Brawn car. Don't worry about its shape, design or features.

This was a livery & branding launch only.
Correct, it looks even if the car @ Valencia will not really be the car for the first Grand Prix.

siskue2005

WhiteBlue wrote: It is simply a zone on the car where they allowed this kind of aero devices to sprout. Historically one used to have a turning vane there but it quickly got a bit out of hand.

PS: Britney is looking pretty in this pic. 8) :wink:
Its not like that

that zone doesnot have the minimum radius rule coz, if its applied there....the sidepod air entry would become illegal !!

So to allow teams to have a legal sidepods and t cam air intake the minimum radius rule was taken out of that area. 8)

Raptor22

New car only to be seen on monday.

the White carbon stuff is just taxalium, I doubt they would use white carbon for a mock up.

I know they expereimented with a huge transfer as well. It could be that this was used for the white carbon effect.

the brushed aluminium colour is the actuall colour of the Mercedes GP racers used in the pre and post war era's. the shiney McLaren silver is not really proper silver arrows colour. this is.

Pandamasque

Can we please move this thread to General chat and rename it as Mercedes GP? It has nothing to do with the MGP W01 car.

By the way, is the car called 'Mercedes MGP W01' or 'Mercedes W01' ?

mx_tifoso

Move to General Chat and rename '2010 Mercedes Petronas Livery'?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Fil

Why would we need another thread about the Mercedes?

This is all pre-launch hype about their car.. and will be on-topic once there is genuinely a MGP W01 to talk about!

give it a few days boys..
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Confused_Andy

I created this thread for the MGP W01, not my fault the launch of the livery ended up in here too. As just said, its all hype for the new car which is only days away.