Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Re: SIlly Season 2011 Thread

Talks of Kimi & mastercard to Renault

http://en.espnf1.com/renault/motorsport ... 21807.html

Kimi would wipe the floor with that overrated chump

zgred

Kubica commits to Renault until end of 2012
formula1.com wrote:Renault announced on Wednesday that Robert Kubica has agreed a contract extension which will keep him with the team for at least another two seasons, ending speculation of a move to Ferrari or Mercedes.
(...)
According to Renault, it was the team’s commitment to becoming title contenders again, coupled with their strong rate of technical development in the first half of 2010, that convinced Kubica - a man tipped by many as a future champion - to stay.

donskar

Sorry to see Kubica staying with Renault -- selfishly. Regretfully, Ferrari should have replaced Massa with Kubica. I think the Pole will have a very successful career, aided by a good balance of high speed and low ego.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ESPImperium

ART Withdraws F1 2011 13th entry bid: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 6432&FS=F1

This leads me to think they could buy into Sauber as equal partners now, and be called ART Sauber-Ferarri for 2011, they bring a driver and sponsorship, Sauber provide the facilities, resources, one driver and Ferarri power that ART seemingly wanted and they are off.

This leaves it open to one team, Epsilon Eskudi i feel.

And if Petrov gets the boot from Renault for Raikkonen and Mastercard, i can see him being wanted by a small team for his sponsor money, whitch would do a team such as Hispania really nicely. And for them to afford the Toyota TF110 package for 2010, albeit updated for 2011 regs, his reputed $8 million will come in nicely, as Senna brings a reputed $2.5 to the team, and with Chandhoks money allegedly running out, would make a pretty decent team.

2011 already looking intresting!!!

Giblet

ISLAMATRON wrote:Talks of Kimi & mastercard to Renault

I usually agree with you, but he is rated very highly from everyone in F1. I can see you not liking him, but overrated is a bit of a stretch.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

segedunum

ISLAMATRON wrote:Talks of Kimi & mastercard to Renault

Not sure how this would play with his Red Bull connections nor whether Renault could actually afford two drivers like that.

As for Kubica being overrated, well, there's a few drivers I'd put ahead of him on that score.

Giblet

Red Bull's signing of Webber showed that there was no contract in stone for Kimi with Red Bull F1, and if he did go to Renault he could still maintain his personal Red Bull sponsorship he has had for years.

All he has to do is hold a Red Bull in hand all the time :) Even Kimi can handle that.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Ciro Pabón

ISLAMATRON wrote:...

Please, guys, respect the drivers or you force me to post, something I've been studiously avoiding for months...

Criticize them as you wish but, to me, most persons thinking that an F1 driver is a chump are chumps. To say those words with some dignity, you need a Class 1 racing license.

This reminds me of the guy in a suit and tie, on a hot humid day, that passes by some other guy. The second person is wet, still in his bathing suit, relaxed on a hammock, sipping a cold drink.

The first one, sweating, says:

"Don't you know that laziness is a capital sin"?

The second one answers:

"Well, don't you know that envy is another"?
Ciro

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

You mean it takes one to know one?

Drivers act stupidly at times (e.g. Webber hitting HK) but unless any of us have been in an F1 race as a driver none f us know what happens in the "haet of the moment".

Ciro Pabón

andrew wrote:You mean it takes one to know one? ...
Yeah, andrew, you could put it that way. I really hate when people pontificates about soccer players in front of the TV (btw, go, Spain!!!). In soccer, the way to pontificate (that is, to "express opinions in a dogmatic way") is using your feet; in racing, you do it with your steering wheel.
Ciro

segedunum

Red Bull is more than Raikkonen's personal sponsor and his involvement has gone way beyond holding a can of Red Bull. They are backing his race career and there would need to be some serious working out for him to drive for anyone else, although Red Bull do have an obvious relationship with Renault that might help.

segedunum

Ciro Pabón wrote:Yeah, andrew, you could put it that way. I really hate when people pontificates about soccer players in front of the TV (btw, go, Spain!!!). In soccer, the way to pontificate (that is, to "express opinions in a dogmatic way") is using your feet; in racing, you do it with your steering wheel.
It might be wise to remember that the only reason why they're even playing football or racing a car is because we are watching it and we get to see what works and what doesn't.

ringo

Kimi and Kubica would be a cool team. I like that match up, it would only make renault all the more the coolest team on the grid. Don't expect any PR stunts like Lewis and Jenson though, but that pairing does make other pairings look like nerds.

Who would be the faster though? I think Kimi would have the edge, and for the first time we'll see Kubica angry or crack under pressure.
For Sure!!

GTO

As much as I'd like to see Kimi back in F1, his salary demands for an F1 ride this season seemed to be too high influnced by how much he was earning w/ Ferrari. Unless he lowers his demands, I don't think Renault will be sucked in by Kimi & his manager's negotiatins even if the Mastercard sponsorship of Renault goes through. I think Petrov has perfomed well enough to get another look next yr.

ESPImperium

I aggree, Bob and Kimi would make a killer team, as it is, Petrov has got about 4-5 races to get a 2011 Renault seat, but if the investment in the team comes from Mastercard, and the Red Bull thing can be sorted out with Kimi, i can see nothing stopping Renault for 2011 personally. Id say that Kimi wouldnt be faster at the start, id say Bob would have the edge, only by 0.1-0.2 of a second, but the thing is Kimi is the sort of driver needed for Bob at this tenure of his career, someone who can take him to the next level, as a team mate of course.

I do think Petrov is a good driver in F1, i was open minded of him joining Renault, everything was right at the time for both parties, i just feel now that Renault is now growing again and will out grow him, he would be good in a good midfeild car for example. I think that on reflection Renault are now rueing the decision to pass up on Glock and Heidfeld. And im sure that BMW Sauber are also thinking they sould have taken up the services of Petrov for the $8 million and the fact he would have brought something to make their car look better in terms of sponsorship.

I think BMW Sauber would have been better with Petrov/Kobiyashi for race drivers, employing De La Rosa as a Friday driver and test driver as well.