COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

xpensive wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:
xpensive wrote:Neat pile of dirt that, but ready in five months?
I agree, I doubt it will be ready in 5 months. However, as luck would have it, the race is in November - that's 9 months.
Xcerpt from the article provided by the bearded fella above, perhaps six months then;

Q: When do you have to do to get ready for that inspection?

A: It will probably be in late August, early September. I don't know the exact date right now, but we have to have the track inspected and all the facilities that are required to have the race. ”

Q: Do you need to be completely done by then?

A: All the track-related facilities will. There will still be work going on at the site for the fan comfort areas, but we'll be ready.
Not 5 months.

It's 6 months & 12 days til the inspection date (20August).
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

strad

They were still working on India and others...big deal.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman

COTA just got around to posting a Media Center photo on their FB page.

Here's Will Buxton's response:
Will Buxton You'd better be putting some windows in it! Don't want to be coming all the way to Austin to stare at a wall instead of the track!

Pup
Pup

WilliamsF1 wrote:What is this building without windows?

That's the back wall of the media center. The front and side walls are all glass on the ground floor, solid on the upper floors, clad in the same stone as the notorious retaining wall, though hopefully using better masons.
WilliamsF1 wrote:This is a media center
That is a cricket stadium.

It won't be the flashiest media center in the sport, but it won't be the worst. And Wil Buxton probably doesn't need get too comfortable anyway. :wink:

It's nice to see the precast work getting started. If the supplier can keep the panels flowing, then everything will start to take shape pdq.
Last edited by Pup on 08 Feb 2012, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

Here's a rendering that shows a bit of the media center on the left...

I'm very pleased with the aesthetic they're going for. I can't stand the trendy stuff that some of the other circuit architects have done lately. And Turkey was just embarrassing. This isn't flashy, and that's a good thing.

The team offices will have a similar look - this is the opposite side of the pits, showing the final team office on the right...

I'd guess that we'll see those buildings start to go up next.

mx_tifoso

Will the grand stand shading covered with solar panels?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

FW17

I guess all the teams hospitality buildings will also be this type of prefab buildings.

By the way what is happening to the teams buildings and grand stand? hardly any vertical movement.

Pup
Pup

mx_tifoso wrote:Will the grand stand shading covered with solar panels?
I doubt it, but I don't know one way or the other.

I've seen two renderings of the grandstand, and I don't know which one is current. Either they've downsized the structure considerably, or expanded it. Here's the other design...

WilliamsF1 wrote:I guess all the teams hospitality buildings will also be this type of prefab buildings.

By the way what is happening to the teams buildings and grand stand? hardly any vertical movement.
I wouldn't call them prefab - it's just the panels themselves that are premade. It's a pretty common method here, and I assume elsewhere, too. As I said, my guess is that the panels are just starting to arrive, and that they'll start the team buildings when they've got the media center panels placed. It should go very quickly, assuming the team building foundations are ready.

FW17

hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:Will the grand stand shading covered with solar panels?
I doubt it, but I don't know one way or the other.

I've seen two renderings of the grandstand, and I don't know which one is current. Either they've downsized the structure considerably, or expanded it. Here's the other design...

WilliamsF1 wrote:I guess all the teams hospitality buildings will also be this type of prefab buildings.

I wouldn't call them prefab - it's just the panels themselves that are premade. It's a pretty common method here, and I assume elsewhere, too. As I said, my guess is that the panels are just starting to arrive, and that they'll start the team buildings when they've got the media center panels placed. It should go very quickly, assuming the team building foundations are ready.

Yep. Tilt-wall construction is very popular here and is cheap, efficient, etc. It's great for everyone except us Firefighters. BTW, from what I've been hearing these panels have been being poured on-site adjacent to the structure they'll be installed on. Then they're allowed to sit for a period to cure. When they've cured and everything else is ready, they are just lifted into place by the cranes to be bolted together.

Also, re: the size of the Main GS. Most of the plans show a Main GS that is a bit longer than the pit/paddock (which, of course, is very long). Doesn't look like that will take shape, at least initially. However, I'm pretty sure the circuit will look VERY different in, say, 5 years than it does this year when it opens.

Pup
Pup

WilliamsF1 wrote:Image
Interesting - that's a third design, and (imo) the worst.
hairy_scotsman wrote:BTW, from what I've been hearing these panels have been being poured on-site adjacent to the structure they'll be installed on. Then they're allowed to sit for a period to cure. When they've cured and everything else is ready, they are just lifted into place by the cranes to be bolted together.
That's called tilt-up construction, and I wonder if they're using a combination, since I seem to remember an interview a few weeks ago where they mentioned that they were hoping to start receiving precast pieces soon.

hairy_scotsman

Yeah, around here they call it tilt-wall. Re: the bolded portion, you may be right, or maybe you're thinking of the reference to waiting for pre-formed steel for the Main GS?
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 08 Feb 2012, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please see post right above this one....

Hail22

This time last year, India already had the media centre completed and hotel completed.

I fear it may not be ready in time with all the union involvement, strikes and lack of funding.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

hairy_scotsman

Tavo Hellmund spotted at Jerez test session...with potential USGP sponsor?

http://www.pitpass.com/45571-Hellmund-spotted-at-Jerez

hairy_scotsman

FWiw, my money is on InBev.