COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Sorry. That's not pavement. It's dirt.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 25 Apr 2012, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

FW17

hairy_scotsman wrote:...
That is the sealer over the fill for the pavement

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:
That is the sealer over the fill for the pavement
Yep. Sealer which has since been covered with more fill.

Here's what it looked like when I shot it this afternoon:

http://twitpic.com/9dktk1
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 25 Apr 2012, 06:37, edited 2 times in total.

FW17

This is a personal fav. With so much of the infield are now covered with the planting soil, its only time before it looks like this (hope it stays that way till nov).

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Turn 1 is so damned awesome.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Way to spoil my optimism. :lol:

Totally kidding. Yeah I jumped the gun a little. I was telling the wife when I posted that yesterday, it's weird if it's pavement because I remember them saying last week they were carrying out pavement tests & that pavement wouldn't begin until the summer. Anyhow, thanks for clearing up my confusion.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

So...Facebook Friends of Formula 1 Austin Texas went out to the Circuit both yesterday afternoon and Monday morning. Monday morning there was very little going on out on the back half of the track (T9 to the stadium section). Yesterday, activity picked up considerably out there. Work on the front straight structures seemed relatively light both days, with most work appearing to happen outside.

A helicopter passed by us when we were out by Turn 11 at Mr. Haywood's house getting some good pics. It would circle the track then land over by the construction trailers, then circle the track again, sometimes heading out toward Hwy 71 and then back around the track and to the trailers again. Did this about 7 or 8 times in less than 1 hour. We've heard that COTA is making a big push for more money, and we know investors have taken helo tours many times before, so....

I shot a few photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Here are some highlights (There are a LOT more at the link with lots of different angles I like but don't shoot often because it's more work. I had a hard time choosing just ten to show here):

Paving in the parking lot:

The view from SH 130:

Turns 8 & 9 from SH 130:

Main straight & Turn 1 from SH 130:

Turn 12, from Mr. Haywood's hill:

Mr. Haywood has a hell of a view:

Richard
Richard

Thanks for the pics.

Mr Haywood might get some good business hiring out deckchairs. Is his property boundary below the crest of the hill so he can look over any future fence from the top of his hill?

Pup
Pup

There's your precast, Richard (grandstand seating) -

Pup
Pup

By the way, here's the link to the high-res site plan I was looking for the other day...

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf ... uction.pdf

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

An agreement had been reached on that this thread will be focused on the construction and technical aspects of the circuit, so the fanboy posts will be moved out to avoid the train falling off the rails.

This thread has been a joy to read lately, so please avoid the pointless banter.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Pup
Pup

Some new grandstand photos...

The poured in place lower stands are getting extruded out...

And some nice shots of the precast upper stands getting put in place...

Interesting use of precast here...

Concrete decks are getting placed...

They're calling this the warehouse, but I thought it was part of the club for the grandstands. I wonder why they need such a large storage area attached to the main grandstand? And why the plumbing?

strad

I think before the thread was so brutally butchered, what Xpensive was trying to say is that he now sees there is at least an outside chance this thing might get finished in time. And I ever magnanimous agreed. #-o
At times even I had my doubts, but as many had mentioned...In construction you spend a lot of time with nothing much appearing to happen then, seemingly,,suddenly, it starts to come together at a this accelerated pace.
I can say that if there hadn't been so much controversy and uncertainty I would have been there tickets in hand.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

Things will go pretty fast here up until the end, and then it will seem like it all comes to a halt again as they're wrapping up all the loose ends.

The things that I'd like to see get underway are the main north/south road and the team suites.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:Things will go pretty fast here up until the end, and then it will seem like it all comes to a halt again as they're wrapping up all the loose ends.

The things that I'd like to see get underway are the main north/south road and the team suites.
There were going to be 14 suites. Now there's only 1. The teams will be in temporary buildings.