COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

xpensive
xpensive

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

strad wrote:
Parking permits for RVs could be available early in June.
The only way to go,,,
Hmmmmmmm a friend bought a shiny new one and will sell me his quite serviceable 1994 Model for $2000
A real bargain when three nights at a motel will set you back more than that, go for it strad!

Perhaps you can ask to leave it there for another 15 years to make use of that 20 kUSD PSL?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pup
Pup

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Pup wrote:Some nice new detail shots of the grandstand construction from MRA...
Do have to say that the pace of the GS construction is quiet unimpressive. I expected that steel and concrete to have been much faster (say a month)
It's been about two, I think. It seems to go in spurts. I think part of it may be that they want to finish a lot of finicky stuff with the concrete decks and stairs for each section before they cover it over with the precast.

I would have guessed six weeks from start, and I think they lost at least a week from rain.

Pup
Pup

Some stock construction footage of the track. It's a mix of old and new, most of it seems about a month old...

http://bcove.me/8whsic0x

Sorry, I don't know how to embed non-youtube stuff.

Pennster
Pennster

In case you missed today's news, COTA is going to unseal documents (see http://adamcooperf1.com/). They also stated Tavo has to get to the arbitration table before a lawsuit can proceed. Apparently, this binding arbitration is stated in the contract Tavo is suing over. He can either argue the contract does not exist (so he is owed nothing right now) or it does exist but has problems (then he must sort out those problems through arbitration). His response should be interesting. In other news, Red McCombs spoke to the media yesterday and said he had no plans to sell at any time.

I know HS usually covers this, but it has been a few hours so i thought i would help out.

Pup
Pup

Thanks for the link - though we've all kinda-sorta agreed to keep the political stuff to a minimum in this thread since it gets out of hand pretty quickly.

Pennster
Pennster

Pup wrote:Thanks for the link - though we've all kinda-sorta agreed to keep the political stuff to a minimum in this thread since it gets out of hand pretty quickly.
I am sorry. You are right. I focused on the news angle and didn't think about the material of the story.

Now I know why HS stayed silent!! :-)

FW17

Guys,

Shuttle services is going to be awesome

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs32fA3udDE[/youtube]

sknguy
sknguy

The elevation graphic of the circuit shows there's going to be an elevation drop at or after T17. T17 is the middle apex of the triple apex T16-T18. An elevation drop there could make the complex extra tricky even if it's a gradual grade. If they're done with the excavation there, does anyone have any photos of the elevations for these turns? Thanks.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

sknguy wrote:The elevation graphic of the circuit shows there's going to be an elevation drop at or after T17. T17 is the middle apex of the triple apex T16-T18. An elevation drop there could make the complex extra tricky even if it's a gradual grade. If they're done with the excavation there, does anyone have any photos of the elevations for these turns? Thanks.
I have many photos of that area, but it's difficult to show the elevation change. You're correct in your estimation of the grades, though. It's level or slightly uphill from 15 to 16-17, then turns more sharply downhill until about halfway between 19 & 20, which is the low point of the circuit.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

FW17

Track maintenance building?

strad

Hairy...How long to get from Port O'Conner to Austin..Looks like a pretty straight shot but how long do you think? Got a relative there.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Construction resumed yesterday after being idle for the long weekend. Here are some photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:Track maintenance building?
I think that might be it. There's also another pad going in next to that one, out of the shot.

It seems like a I saw a plan once with something like that there. I also have a plan showing 6 helipads right there. There have been so many different versions though, and I've also heard that those 6 helipads would be further east beyond turn 1 over near the newest parking area on FM 812. Who knows?

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

strad wrote:Hairy...How long to get from Port O'Conner to Austin..Looks like a pretty straight shot but how long do you think? Got a relative there.
Should be ~3.5 hours or so.

Pup
Pup

Assuming that photo was taken from the triangle looking north, then yes, the master plan shows a maintenance building/area there at the property line. The helipads are further to the east.